Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Does cheese REALLY give you nightmares?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a rather ripe piece of Camembert that I am pondering munching on a little later this evening. Will my sleep by tormented by visions of a helmetless TJ, or worse?

Hohum
    Free Member

Funny you should ask that as last night I fancied having some strange dreams so I ate a big lump of stilton cheese and I must admit I was quite disappointed by the frequency and content of my dreams. Maybe it depends on the type of cheese?

molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading a study had found that cheese does give you vivid dreams. They may or may not be nightmares.

I have been known to use cheese before bedtime as a recreational drug 🙂

mushrooms
    Free Member

I saw something on telly saying that is doesn’t and I think they said it helps you sleep or makes you sleepy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I really doubt it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why don’t you ask the Pimlico girls if they’ve had any bad dreams after your visits flashy? In particular if you haven’t washed for a few days… 😯

rOcKeTdOg

Mr Fry said no

U31
    Free Member

I have been known to use recreational drugs in place of cheese.
    Makes me toast butties all yak, but hey ho

Tinners

Some cheeses may. Thought to relate to the tyramine content.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, but using Lysergic Acid Diethylamide does. Trust me…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Haven’t got any of that in the fridge, Fred.

mogrim

Haven’t got any of that in the fridge, Fred.

Not surprised, keeps better in the freezer.

Cougar

Of course it does.

j_me
    Free Member

I hope not, Im currently munching through a rather delicious wedge of Mrs Appleby’s Cheshire………yummy !

IdleJon

I used to work in a development department for a large and well known dairy company. One of my jobs was to arrange tasting sessions, and shelf life panels.

One Friday, we had to check some double glos with chive and onion, and on tasting it was very obviously slightly past it’s best.

No problems, until later that night after a few drinkies I retired, and was woken up regularly by almighty (slightly off) chive flavoured belches.

I’ve never bought additives cheese since I left that company – it IS the work of the devil.

CountZero

I’m sure Mythbusters have done a test…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My understanding is is that it just doesn’t digest very easily so you don’t sleep as soundly so you dream more.

sofaking
    Free Member

After eating too much cheese at ssec 2010 I dreamt about cheese all night,but not nightmares

duntmatter
    Free Member

53 tonnes of fresh cheddar. Mmmmm

tomsk01
    Free Member

Apparently a 2005 study by the British Cheese Board concluded that cheese in fact helps you get to sleep rather than giving you nightmares, and they’re bound to be independent aren’t they 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ketamine might not enable you to sleep too soundly either. You’d think so, but it don’t work like that. Trust me.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Only nightmare I have is the one where I run out of cheese.

woody2000

I’ve eaten a relatively large quantity of dolcelatte this evening, and drunk half a bottle of Cab Sauv – I shall report back in the morning!

Cougar

You’ll have to drink the other half of the bottle tomorrow night without cheese, for control purposes. It’s a hard life.

GJP
    Free Member

This is my theory cobbled together from various sources.

1/ Cheese is a source of the amino acid Tryptophan. A diet containing Tryptophan is required to enable the production of the neuro-transmitters serotonin and thus in turn melatonin required for regular sleeping patterns.

2/ Drugs that work on the serotonin system are often cited as having the side effects of vivid dreams and nightmares (e.g. anti-depressants like Mirtazapine)

In both cases serotonin levels become elevated and it doesn’t seem too unreasonable therefore to infer that in some people eating cheese at night will lead to vivid dreams and nightmares.

The conversion of Tryptophan to Serotonin is aided by the addition of a carbohydrate. So eat cheese and chocolate for a good nights sleep!

I guess there is some theory behind Horlicks and Ovaltine

woody2000

Good point, I suppose I should eat the rest of the cheese on Saturday without wine, just for completeness. You’re right though, life’s tough sometimes 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am pleased to report that cheese (or at least some rather ripe camembert!) did not give me any nightmares at all.

Scentific test over. As you were.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I had a very vivid nightmare recently where the modern-day citizens of Paris (though it might well have been New York or East Kilbride; hard to tell with dreams) were being terrorized by heretic monks who have fallen through a tear in the fabric of space-time and must return to their own epoch by making their way to a particular building which had a bricked-up cellar where they had been tortured and hanged by their oppressors some hundreds of years previously. Their latter-day manifestation was sudden and alarming for the citizens of the present; they’d suddenly materialise in corporeal form from nowhere into the middle of a crowded street and make their way through the horrified onlookers and into what was now a hospital. Those who caught a glimpse of their faces beneath their cowled robes saw a rictus of agony and bulging, strangulated eyes protruding from their skulls causing paralysing fear. Once inside the hospital, where patients and nurses alike screamed in mortal panic, they made their way into the old basement and settled in an attitude of supplication inside curious stepped stone wells, each designed to hold a single kneeling soul. Above the wells were stout wooden beams marked by the hanging ropes of their inquisitors from that bygone age.

Can’t remember if cheese was involved, so it’s all a bit inconclusive. Sorry.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Blimey. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stuartie, that’s the post of the week for me, if not more! Superb!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

🙂

I’ve edited it to remove the reference to “stout wooden beans”.

I did actually have this dream and woke up terrified; too scared to go back to sleep.

My first thought was it would make the basis of a good film script. Better get to work on it…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That is pretty good, I must say.

I never remember my dreams. Which is perhaps a good thing, because some can be so disturbing I wake up covered in sweat and need to turn all the lights on to escape from them.

iainc

There was a Bohemian Monk
    Who went to sleep in a bunk
    He dreamt that Venus
    Was stroking his Pen&s
    and woke up all covered in spu£k

….I’ll get my coat 😆

Mintman
    Free Member

Me and some mates had a raclette eating competition on a skiing holiday some years ago. Despite hardcore cheese sweats I also dreamed that I was chased over tower bridge by massive carrots driving a double decker bus.

That’s not a typical dream in the mintman household either…

Bunnyhop

Buy British. None of this foreign muck on here thanks very much.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    That is pretty good, I must say.

I never remember my dreams. Which is perhaps a good thing, because some can be so disturbing I wake up covered in sweat and need to turn all the lights on to escape from them.

That does happen for some people.

My most vivid dreams came when I was trying to stop smoking and kept the nicotine patches on my arm overnight.

Tonight I am in the process of digesting a s**t load of stilton withg some wine and beer.

Let’s see how things are in the morning…

locomotive

Tonight I am in the process of digesting a s**t load of stilton withg some wine and beer.

Update?

I have been known to use cheese before bedtime as a recreational drug

Thought Id give this a try last night. I subsequently dreamt I was in a very slow speed chase with a 1/2 size Tyrannosauras Rex. When I say ‘chase’, it was more of a ‘being continuously followed by’. I hid in a phone box at the end of my road, except in the dream it was a shower cubicle.

Hohum
    Free Member

loco motive – Member

Update?

Not much I am afraid 🙁

I had a reasonably good sleep, but the dreams were not that special.

locomotive

Thats mildly disappointing to hear. I mean the dream, I’m glad you slept well.

Dont give up with the experimentation though, I hold high hopes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Does cheese REALLY give you nightmares?’ is closed to new replies.