Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Does anyone on STW use/recommend any tyres other than Maxxis High Rollers???
  • Northwind

Small blocks, excavators and nevegals here. Oh and Marathons. Nevegal 2.1 stick-e front, excavator DTC 2.1 rear for preference.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nevegals are still my default "leave on the bike" tyre.

Fast rolling, handle OK in most situations and not particularly puncture prone for me (despite what people say).

The 2.35s are a really nice size and the 2.1s are pretty beefy too.

Dual compound on the back and stick-E on the front, rides well on wet roots and rocks – but not as "riding through treacle" as a ST HR.

Elmo
    Free Member

I had Conti Vert Pro's.
    I wanted something new/better. Succumb to the hype and bought 2 HR's.
    I've done one-albeit very gloopy-ride and taken the back one off.
    Verts back on the rear!
    Jurys still out on the front tyre!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just swapped mine out from:

Front – 2.35" Maxxpro HR
    Rear – 2.1" Exception HR (very skinny) ok in mud

To 2.25" Evolution 3C Nobby Nics front and rear, look nice, I'm liking the open tread pattern as a do it all kinda thing and bloody light, lighter than my 2.35" Ignitor exceptions I got in the shed, if they're as fast as then and near as grippy as the HR I think I've found my new fave tyre.

Bonus is @ 2.25" (57mm carcass) they fit in the back of my Helius CC nicely too 😀

daveb
    Free Member

Nobby Nic 2.1\Racing ralph 2.1 tubeless on my Anthem x
    Nobby Nic 2.1 Standard on my RM Blizzard
    wait for it……
    High Rollers 2.35 on my RM ETSX70 🙂

NNs are much better rolling and offer good grip, just prefer the chunkiness of the High Rollers on my bigger FS

pinches
    Free Member

i like nobby nics. Would defo have a pair of the 2.25 for my full sus next

Reluctant
    Free Member

I'm finding Maxxis Ignitors a good all-rounder. They replaced my Hutchinson Pythons, which are great, but a bit "summery".

theyEye
    Free Member

Anyone tried weirwolf LTs? Thinking about the 2.5s for going up and down the alps on a hardtail…

br
    Free Member

Currently either in the garage or on (a number of…)wheels:
    Nobby Nic 2.1 front and rear
    Nobby Nic 2.4 front and rear
    Racing Ralph UST front and rear
    Maxxis High Roller rear
    Maxxis Minion front
    Maxxis Crossmark UST front and rear
    Intense 2.5 front
    Intense 2.3 rear
    Bontrager Mud 2.0 front and rear

And if thats not enough, for my sons' 24":
    Racing Ralph 2.4 front and rear
    Maxxis Swampthing 2.4(?) front and rear
    DMR ?
    Kenda SM8 2.1

RRD
    Free Member

I run Kenda Nevegals 2.35. Pretty happy with them as an all rounder. I really liked the Nobby Nic – Racing Ralph combo but found they did not last very well and are more expensive than most of the competition. In my experience all rounders are a trade off. Too many variables. I also have some Maxxis Advantages and I don't think a great deal of them.

disco_stu
    Free Member

fat albert up front and little albert on the rear.

giantjason
    Free Member

nobby nic 2.25 F+R as an all rounder most of the time but Fat Alberts when i go to abroad and Medusa rear when the going gets muddy.

i had High Rollers before but the NN's & fat alberts just roll as good for the same amount of grip.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Endomorph front and Mud X rear!

sangobegger
    Free Member

Love my maxxis tyres,a bit heavy to be fair,but bombproof.Nobby nics are arse lightweights,burst too easily on laggan – and no idea bouts anything else cos I'm too mean to try anything else!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My name is TJ and I am a rubberholic.

For our 4 mtbs I have:

Conti mountainkings, speedkings, edges, snow claw, sport contact, vert pro and gravities
    Gazzalodis
    Wet scream
    specialized crossroads
    wildgripper
    panaracer dart

Erm – I think thats it. Might be a few more lurking but I did recently get rid of all the worn ones. I change tyres a fair bit depending on what we are doing

jimthesaint

el_creedo – Member
    ddmonkey – I'm just curious, I refuse to buy them because when I was first into MTBing (almost 20yrs ago, yikes!) both Maxxis and Kenda were bargain bin options for when you didn't have enough pocket money to buy a nice Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo!
    I am, basically, an old fashioned subversive snob.

Amen Brother. Maxxis are for tight gets who won't stretch to purchase tyres from a real tyre brand. How can anybody say that Maxxis know how to make good tyres when two of their most popular tread patterns the High Roller and Ignitor are blatant copies of the Hot S/Comp16 and Vertical.

Grimy
    Free Member

Panaracer Cinders 2.25 front and rear for me. Really like the setup, loads of grip in all conditions and roll much quicker than high rollers. Thinking of replacing my worn rear with a Rampage next after reading some good recomendations.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

UST High roller 2.35 front and 2.0 minion rear on Zesty 714 nice combo for trail speed and mud

RM ETSX 2.35 Conti Vert – still a great dry weather tyre

KevinPP
    Free Member

I like Bontys`. ACX, Mud X, the old Revolt. ACX are good multi condition tyres, and TR.
    We do tend to be led by what other people tell us though, whether it be press or forums. All my mates ride Highrollers, but I am not a number!
    (Er, although i do have a set of 2.25 Ardents for last summer that I got because of a mag review… Bugger.)

el_creedo
    Free Member

Thank you all, this is the kind of discussion I hoped for!
    HR users (all my riding buddies included) – good on ya for finding something you like and sticking with it (i had Fire XC's for 5 years solid, then Vert Pros for 3, and only recently have i dared venture to something different).
    Non-HR users, and those who defy them just to be different with little or no rational reason – glad I'm not alone! I feel much better now!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone on STW use/recommend any tyres other than Maxxis High Rollers???’ is closed to new replies.