Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Does anyone get depressed after a hard ride / exercise?
  • jimmy

Have been feeling really ratty, irritable, grumpy and tired after exercise recently (past year or so really) to the point where it has become a serious concern as I just can’t sensibly be around anyone for a day or two afterwards without wanting to snap. Have found possible reasons or explanations. Its good to have found that others get the same problem, but I’m just wondering if anyone else on here gets it?

For example, had a great weekend of riding just gone and Sunday evening was on a real high. Monday felt tired – to be expected, but in the evening and into yesterday just felt so low. This is usual so I know its coming but it still feels terrible and I question everything thats going off in my life. Mountain biking in particular makes things worse because the combined exercise high + adrenaline rush elevates the point from which I drop. Today I feel half normal again so back to square one.

nicko74

Possibly a combination of blood sugar low plus coming down from the endorphin high?

Personally I find it makes me quite chilled and cheerful, but then I never knacker myself out too much when riding.

jimmy

I get chilled and cheerful at first. I love that bit…

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

depends if i have had a good ride, i normally feel strong and good through techi bits in that case ill get home and feel very cheerful and positve, if i havent had such a good ride then i can be a bit pwissed

PJ266
    Free Member

Wow, that must suck. I find exercise the best way to raise my spirits. Especially mountain biking, i guess the guys above are right.

thomthumb
    Free Member

could be a combination of over training and too little rest?

do you sleep more to compensate after a big/ hard ride? you should be.

Shandy
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of overtraining, make sure you eat plenty of good food, rehydrate, and rest more.

If you are going out and killing yourself to try and forget about life’s irritations they will still be there when you get back and you will be too tired to deal with them. Training has a very simple dynamic, you push yourself, you feel good about it. Life is usually not like that which is why it is easy to get annoyed with all the small stuff. Take it easier on yourself and change some of the things that are winding you up or seem like a waste of time.

grumm
    Free Member

I find it normally makes me feel great. I’m still buzzing from my ride yesterday.

scruzer
    Free Member

jimmy, what happens if/when you dont ride at all for lets say 2-4 weeks? Still feel depressed? There maybe other events in your life that you kind of expect MTBing to sort out but unfortunately our beloved sport is not a panacea. Are you noticing any other changes ie, sleeping, eating lack of interests in other pastimes etc… Not wanting to look at things too deeply but its worth looking at the bigger picture.(Depression is my livelyhood by thec way). Other comments here could be true too especially those about your physical wellbeing, blodd sugars etc. Keep batting!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find it hard to concentrate at work and stuff and generally get fed up – I think that’s probably a withdrawl type symptom.

Only thing for it is to go on the dole and ride all day…

aP
    Free Member

I quite often find that I feel a bit low about how awful I am at riding.

DezB
    Free Member

Your symptoms sound similar to a drugs comedown. Maybe you’re an addict?

samuri
    Free Member

the more knackered I am after a ride, the higher I feel.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Yes, and sometimes it’s so bad!

I thought it was just me.

Comes as soon as I finish, feels like the world is going to end 😐

I’m normally OK after a good sleep though, just ache like hell for a few days.

ajf
    Free Member

Yep usually have a low after a lot of exercise. By this I am usually talking about ultra runs or 2 day mountain marathons. General training I am okay.

It usually takes a week to sort myself out.

I put it down to the highs of competition and the energy lows afterwards as the body repairs and refuels.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Jimmy, what is your pre- and post ride schedule?

Do you eat and drink more preparation?
    Do you have something to eat and drink as soon as you get back to the car/house?
    Do you have a proper meal within an hour of finishing your ride?
    Do you get extra/sleep rest in the days after a ride?
    How many rides do you have a week? and how hard do you push?
    Do you eat extra the day after a ride?

I used to feel the same. But by preparing properly, and upping my food/drink intake and getting more rest post ride helped solve the issue.

cp

yep as mentioned, I now normally feel great after riding, and (relatively) irritable if i haven’t! However… when i used to do loads of training, and sometimes too much, i would feel irritable…

jimmy

To be clear, this is different to the lack of riding grumpiness (which I get, too!). ie after 2/3/4 weeks without a ride I will get grumpy, but a ride sorts that out.
    Also, I’m not otherwise depressed – a few responses seem to have construed that I am. I may have a few worries, but nothing that I would class as depression. They’re just amplified beyond rationality by this post-exercise low.
    Having read a few things and thought about it, I’m pretty sure its down to;

a. Not being as fit as I have been (hardly ridden since last June / July time) but still doing the same rides as I used to. Therefore, probably overdoing it.
    b. Not looking after myself, mostly post-ride. I don’t always get a good meal down within an hour of finishing and I should know better than not to…
    c. Not eating extra for the next few days, until my body screams at me to do so. I am trying to lose a few pounds, but nothing major. Probably should leave it to come over sumer rather than try and lose it in one week.

Has been interesting reading other people’s experiences and thinking this through. Needs to be boxed off…

jimmy

Oh;

DezB – Member
    Your symptoms sound similar to a drugs comedown. Maybe you’re an addict?

There may be some value in that.

glenh
    Free Member

Not eating extra for the next few days, until my body screams at me to do so. I am trying to lose a few pounds, but nothing major. Probably should leave it to come over sumer rather than try and lose it in one week.

This sounds like it could be an issue. If you are getting plenty of riding in and eating good food then excess weight should go anyway. Feed your body – it needs it.

Keva
    Free Member

I get a bit grumpy if I do too much without allowing myself enough time to recover. Im feeling it now, heavy eyes and going down with a cold too and I’m supposed to be up in Snowdonia for the next few days. Been doing too much for the last couple of weeks and last w/end topped it off with 50miles of riding, too much cider and late nights etc..

I blame it on being the wrong side of 35 – i used to be able to do what I like when I liked but nowadays recovery times are a bit slower that what they once were.

Kev

knottie8
    Free Member

I get very depressed after a good ride. I miss the company and friendship most(I think). whilst on a good ride I often dont want it to end !

Pyro

Fell race last night I got depressed DURING the event.

That’s just because I’m unfit.

jeb

i once, for some odd reason, did not eat meat at all for a some month, i lost loads om strength while riding, and i did pass out sereval times, i chairs, on my sofa, quite scary…
    Your link looks very interesting, one thing could also be see your doc, he have talk, and eventually run a test, concerning the depressive area, to see if something sticks out, and deal from it there.

Maybe put the bike in the shed, for a couple a month, and start running, and evaulate ??

Cheers

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Had a quick look around to see if I could find some research evidence for this, but could not really find anything. – The inference from what I did find is that it relates to fatigue and low blood sugars – I’m no that convinced about blood sugars as this would rectify itself fairly quickly in hours rather then days – I do think that there is a bio feedback loop whereby neurotransmitters are out of balance and it is this that results in lowered mood

jimmy

Your link looks very interesting, one thing could also be see your doc, he have talk, and eventually run a test, concerning the depressive area, to see if something sticks out, and deal from it there.

Went to the doc a while back for blood tests, nothing stood out. But I went at a time when I hadn’t done much exercise and felt ‘normal’. Have been considering going back and asking for blood tests the day after exercise to see if anything’s happening then.

Maybe put the bike in the shed, for a couple a month, and start running, and evaulate ??

Bike’s been ‘in the shed’ all winter. It happens after running, too.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Yes sometimes, being tired and hungry makes me miserable and irritable.
    Eat more, with a good balance of carbs and protein 70:30 ish, and get to bed early.
    If that doesn’t work visit your docs to discuss it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone get depressed after a hard ride / exercise?’ is closed to new replies.