Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do you think I need to space out my chainset?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

New F/S with XTR 980 2 X 10 HT2 cranks but running 9 speed. 73mm shell with one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side.

Cranks go round OK but they’re clearly contacting the chainstay protector.

Should I add another spacer to provide a bit more clearance?

Also, I have a triple 9 speed front mech trimmed to run double. There’s the occasional cage rub so would a double front have wider cage spacing?

p.s I make no apologies for the state of the background

OCB
    Free Member

I’d slip the stay-protector off and have a good long, considered look at the crank-to-chainstay clearance gap.

The stay-protector doesn’t look that thick, so you might be a shade closer than I’d run it at …

Either way, the excellent VeloSolo do a BB spacer kit that includes 1mm spacers for fine tuning things where 2.5 might be a bit much.

Dunno about the cage width tho’ – I’m using a triple front with my hacked 2 x 9, and it rubs (so I’m curious)…

legend
    Free Member

how does the clearance on the non-drive side look?

m1kea
    Free Member

legend – Member

how does the clearance on the non-drive side look?

You know, I didn’t actually snap that side 🙄 though I’ve not noticed any issue.

The Devinci protector is quite a nice chunky bit of kit and certainly less of a faff than lizardskins

I have noticed I’m heel rubbing the stays so will defo go mad with more 3m tape.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Don’t add another spacer because this will leave you with too little axle to put the non-drive crank arm on. You risk damaging the crank if you do.

shortcut

I believe the XTR race cranks have a q factor 3mm lower than normal. This brings the crank in by 1.5mm both sides I guess. It will be fine if the frame isnt very flexible ie if the cranks hit te stays under power. If it is you need different cranks.

m1kea
    Free Member

Following on from Shortcut’s comment I’ve done some more research and I’d forgotten that the cranks are 985’s which threads such as this indicate they have a narrower q factor.

The non drive side crank looks like it has 5mm or so clearance and there’s 3mm or so on the drive side without the protector.

Will follow OCB’s advice as well though would another 1mm of spacer really be that marginal?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do you think I need to space out my chainset?’ is closed to new replies.