Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do you need a special tool to remove a singlespeed sprocket?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It's an old SS and takes a sturmey Archer type sprocket. Is it held on by a circlip? There appears to be some sort of dust cap or cover screw with three indents. So how do I remove the sprocket to change it?

Stoner
    Free Member

SA gearhub sprockets are held on only with the circlip. The three prongs are just spline guides I think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"takes a sturmey archer style sprocket" WTF

pics needed

Stoner
    Free Member

SA sprocket:

SA sprocket circlip

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How do you remove the clip (and put it back on)?

Stoner
    Free Member

flat bladed screw driver and a lexicon of swear words.

Use a punch to make sure it's reseated properly when you reinstall.

geoffj

Same as the Alfine although SA sprockets are slightly too thick to fit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Same as the Alfine although SA sprockets are slightly too thick to fit.

There appears to be 2 sizes of SA sprocket 1/8th and 3/32s. I've assumed my hub (not SA) takes 1/8th, but that's a guess and the new sprocket was only £3 so no great loss if it's wrong.

Thanks for the advice Stoner

Stoner
    Free Member

banana – ive got some spare SA sprockets at home in the shed. If you find yours doesnt fit, I may have a 3/32 you can have gratis but I need to check w the verniers. Drop me a line if you need to.

EDIT: BTW dont forget you have the ability to adjust the chainline to some extent by flipping the sprocket over and using the pressing offset. (16T and larger anway – smaller ones arent dished)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, I have a 36t chainring, so I've ordered a 16t sprocket which might give the right SS ratio for my canal bank commute to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do you need a special tool to remove a singlespeed sprocket?’ is closed to new replies.