Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • do you have a different tyre (size/type/brand) on front/rear – if yes, why?
  • DaveBro
    Free Member

as title, do you have a different tyre (size/type/brand) on front/rear – if yes, why – what’s the benefit?
    Thanks Dave

chvck
    Free Member

I run a 2.35 high roller on the front and a 2.35 Larsen TT on the rear simply because I like the level of grip that I get on the front and then the Larsen rolls quite nicely on the rear 🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Got a Kenda Kozmik Lite II on the front and a Kenda 2.1 Small Block Eight on rear. Had a Kozmik Lite II on the rear but changed it due to W.A.T…after 1600 miles 😯 .

Chose the SBE as it is a general dry weather tire. 1600 miles tho…

emac65
    Free Member

Yes,all my bikes have different tyres……
    Fast Track front/Michy Comp S light rear.Like the volume & grip in almost all conditions of the Fast Track(if you play with the air pressures)& the michy is the fastest rolling tyre I know of that also gives decent grip this time of year.

timraven

maxxis ADvantage both ends 2.35 front, 2.1 rear can’t get a 2.35 in the back of my bike. Plenty of grip on 2.35’s.
    Only thing I can fault it for though.

duntstick
    Free Member

Fat Albert UST front grips and steers, Crossmax UST rattles along nicely at the rear. Steep rocky stuff here in southern France and sometimes slippy as hell on the clay if we have a bit of rain.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2.35 high otter front, hollyroler 2.4 rear, that tire is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo huge!

zaskar
    Free Member

I have tight clearance space on the rear so 2.1 is fine but 2.2/3 is pushing it.

Running a Reba up front so a max 2.3 is on the RS manual.

At the moment 2.1 Nevs F&R but might get 2.3 BG for directional and grip as the front always goes when I slip etc.

I’d run a 2.3 if I could fit on the back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depending what and where yes – I am a tyre tart so keep changing them

The tandem has had a gazzalodi on the back and conti on the front – big back tyre to stop pinch flats for fully laden rocky highland single track. I have also run my solo with the gazza on the front for extra grip in slimy woods.

The two wheels do different things so different tyres can work. Front for side grip rear for centre grip.

DaveBro
    Free Member

ok, thanks for that – now i understand the principles, i am off to the garage to start ‘mixing’!

STATO
    Free Member

I plan to run Maxxis crossmarks front and back on my new bike… tho one will be a 26″ and the other a 29″ :0)

duntstick
    Free Member

I meant Crossmarks too,but the vin rouge’s kicked in……..

kiwijohn

No, that would be “Weird”

I have a crap Spesh Eskar 2.35 up front which I’m hoping wears out very soon and a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 up back. I like the Fire as an all round tyre and having a bike that weighs 13.86 tonnes, I find a narrower tyre up back helps with rolling resistance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i generally do but i’m not at the mo. the general concensus is grip up front, speed out back.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes my tyres are different, but I don’t know what they are. I replace a tyre when it gets too worn, with whatever takes my fancy (or is cheap) at the time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘do you have a different tyre (size/type/brand) on front/rear – if yes, why?’ is closed to new replies.