Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do photography/arts students still use film cameras?
  • midlifecrashes

Just wondering as I was having a tidy up and came across my old fully manual SLR and kit, cleaned up the battery contacts and it all seems to be working OK. The metering seems to broadly agree with my new DSLR. Would be nice if it got a bit more use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt it. We tutor at a local college and most students have better kit than we can afford as a business.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What kit is it, my lenses all appear to have grown mould over the winter in the spare room 🙁

Some students do, but most use Nikon d40 or Canon 350d kinda stuff, the film cameras seem to be for the minority or the occasional arty project.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Film is attractive to some people because of the development process. If you talk with photography or art students you’re bound to find somebody who’ll make use of it. A friend of mine studies and uses only medium format for all his work.

meehaja
    Free Member

lenses are often cross compatible, so they’ll sell. Bodies less so but there is a market out there for them. I quite fancy an nice Nikon SLR so I can use all my lenses but with a film camera.

Trekster

My daughter did and a young friend of mine does. He is using an old olympus om series camera atm.
    Local college does, they still do dark room stuff early in the course.

midlifecrashes

The kit is a Pentax MX, 50mm, 28mm and 70-210mm zoom, bunch of filters to suit too, focussing screens, a flash, remote release, handheld lightmeter and various bits and bobs. I have B&W developing and printing kit too, with one of those russian briefcase enlargers. Not flogging the Manfrotto though, that works just as well with the digital.

globalti
    Free Member

Send it to Africa, they love low-tech kit there. Try TWAM – Tools With A Mission.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was involved in some research with some people doing photograph courses at the local college. They all used film and had built themselves dark rooms (in sheds, basements, spare rooms etc) because they liked to create effects during the development process rather than on a computer.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Was talking with Colin Prior in December and he does use film but reckons it will only last another couple of years.

If kodachrome no longer exists what hope for the rest?
    Nice pics

Kit
    Free Member

I gave my 35mm SLR away to a student last year on Freegle/Freecycle. Forgot to pull the ad afterwards and got an email recently from another student looking for one.

_tom_
    Free Member

My sister did photography at college a few years ago, they used film cameras but also DSLR. She’s doing a photojournalism module at uni now and they only use DSLRs now.

nbt

WHen I did photography As-level, one module HAD to be done on film as you had to do the exposures yourself in the darkroom. You could get the processing done of need be, but there was kit to do the processing too.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I use B&W film a lot, you can develop it yourself easily and plenty of stuff on fleabay.

got handed a camera, and caught the bug, I have the full setup including darkroom. mainly use manual focus SLR’s and XA compacts

it’s a great hobby and it gets you away from the PC

my pictures are pants, but that’s another issue

DSLR’s are the future but B&W film has twenty years left in it at least

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a mint condition Pentax MZ-M in my loft. Saw the same on eBay a while back was at £40 with a bit of time left. Worth a pop I’d think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do photography/arts students still use film cameras?’ is closed to new replies.