Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • do people bother with font lockout much?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

I was playing with mine over garburn pass today, and cant work out if it helps or not.. in the end i just reverted back to normal, as even with the blowoff threshold set to minimum they still felt a bit wooden, and sometimes it seemed harder to get over rocks as the forks didnt compress straight away.

I’ve only got 100mm travel forks, (F100RLC) and am on an epic which climbs well anyway so maybe not much point using it on this, but just wondered when people use theres? Do you keep turning it on + off for long climbs / descents, of just leave it on and use the blowoff feature.

Bit of a suspension numpty…

I just started playuing with it really as i had the forks serviced at TFT, and they sent it back with some recommended settings and there was one for the lockout threshold (blowoff) so i thought i’d give them a try.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I use it lots on my SS, not so much on my full suss.

pinches
    Free Member

i gave up with lockout, i couldnt get the remote lever somewhere i was happy with so sacked it off and have never used it since and have never noticed any detrimental difference

grumm
    Free Member

I don’t lock it for techy climbs – the front wheel wanders about more if you do. I only really use it on long road/fire-road climbs.

jonb
    Free Member

Useful on my hardtail when I’m standing up.

I much prefered the lock down of MArzocchi ETA than the poplock simple lock out I have now.

Haribo
    Free Member

yup – fireroads and tarmac sections. blow off is a good feature, a mate rode full force into a rock jump and didnt come off too well!

meeeee
    Free Member

ah ok maybe i was expecting too much of it on garburn pass. I’ll try it on some smoother long climbs

Nick

use the lockout on my revelations all the time, wouldn’t use it on Garburn pass (Suspension forks were made for this terrain surely?) but on very steep technical stuff it’s quite good at stopping dive but still giving you a bit of give if you set the floodgate right

meeeee
    Free Member

well i was only playing with it on the climb, to see if how the blowoff thing worked, but yeah i suppose it wasnt really a good place to try it 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

I never use lockout or travel adjustment. If the bike is bobbing about on the road, it’s telling me my pedalling style is too choppy.

Each to their own but I can’t think of a time when it’s ever been an advantage.

Bez

I’ve deleted Comic Sans from my system, if that’s what you mean.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I had my lock out on when I stacked it the other night, whos to say if it played a part or not.

epicyclo

I’ve given up on suspension, I’m too dull-witted. Every time I use the lockout I forget to release it and spend the rest of the day effectively riding a bike with a heavy rigid front fork and not noticing the difference.

Rather than get smarter, I’ve gone for carbon forks. 🙂

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Use mine when standing on fire/ tarmac roads have it set as light as possible to identify poor technique. Less annoying than winding forks down on the climb up and then forgeting to put them back up again on the way down.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I use mine lots, i love it.

gamo
    Free Member

Never touch it!

aP
    Free Member

I’d prefer to be in Gill sans but unfortunately end up stuck in Arial.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I sit mostly on smooth climbs so it barely moves without lockout, so no. On bobbly climbs you want it to sag and move whether sitting or standing, so no.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Never used it on my Revs, never used it on my Float RLCs, don’t have it on my Lyriks. So no 😛

I like my suspension to do it’s thing all the time.

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

I never use lockout or travel adjustment. If the bike is bobbing about on the road, it’s telling me my pedalling style is too choppy.

Each to their own but I can’t think of a time when it’s ever been an advantage.

what about climbing a steep technical section and you need to get as far over the front as possible, Surely travel adjust would help there

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Nope but I do use the lockdown ETA on both my bikes a lot.

finbar
    Free Member

I LOVE FONT LOCKOUT

atlaz
    Free Member

I use it a lot for climbing “predictable” stuff. Mostly fireroads or tarmac. Same reason I flick propedal on at the same time. Takes about 5 seconds for both without interrupting pedalling on the Trance (remote lockout on the HT). Same climbs without lockout/propedal seem to be a lot more effort.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I use it on my Pikes for fireroad/easy climbs and going fast on flat bits. It feels better when I hammer down on the pedals.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I use it loads and often forget to turn it off. Found that at mm this weekend I used it too much and got really achey crampy hands. I have to reach down to the crown to switch it but it doesnt bother me.

allyharp

I rarely ever use it, and when I do it’s just “because it’s there”, I don’t think I’d miss it at all.

BUT if it were a lock-down I could see a lot of benefit. Why oh why has nobody but Marzocchi ever implemented a system like that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ges used on road sections if im in a hurry, and smooth off road sections with nojups if im feeling in a pumping mood.

Technical climb are easier with all the suension doing its job. I cleaned a climb i never sued to be able to th other week, and i’l put at least some of the credit to the 2.4 hollyroller out back and menja’s up front just floating the bike over the rocks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

never bother with the poplock thingy on the solo with pikes. I don’t ever get troubled by bob

On the Tandem with Z1 ‘zocchi I use the lock down thingy for starting off if I remember to reduce standover – otherwise again I find no need. I do sit and spin on climbs tho

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘do people bother with font lockout much?’ is closed to new replies.