Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Do easter eggs get banned every year or…
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Is it only every now and again to appease other cultures?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I much prefer the easter dinosaur egg I saw, much better idea. Offend the lot of then

P-Jay
    Free Member

Every year, usually by the same people who invented ‘Wintervile’

Northwind

Homer: “We only get 30 sweet eggy days. Then the government takes them away”

Cougar

Do easter eggs get banned ever?y year or…

FTFY.

Drac

Yes they get banned every year that’s why you never see any.

seosamh77
    Free Member

+1 cougar.

OP, whit ye gibbering oan about?

D0NK

would anyone really GAS?
    pretty sure the bible doesn’t say anything about giving chocolate eggs and I’m equally sure kids and chocoholics aren’t bothered about having religiously backed confectionary, so “chocolate eggs” as opposed to easter eggs, meh, who cares – except the daily mail types getting het up about them and their values being marginalised or whatever bollox they come up with to get angry about.

I also suspect it’s the choccy makers trying to broaden their market rather than anyone actually getting upset about easter being foisted upon other cultures.

legend
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

would anyone really GAS?

Absolutely! Chocolate Egg Day is my favourite zombie holiday!

tomhoward

Yerp, it’s coz ov dem muslamics and shariyer law innit.

/ridiculousmadeuphatestirringtabloidheadline

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Easter is a top holiday, it reminds us of all the joy of having 2 short weeks together. Sometimes it’s super special when a special person gets married and you get about 11days off for 4 days of annual leave.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I believe Bill Hicks covered this.

I’ll set it as homework, for the un-initiated.

tomhoward

Or it’s your birthday 2 days before, so get 6 days away from the pit of dispair work, for the price of 2 days leave

:mrgreen:

GrahamS

Reading the Daily Star by any chance?
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/502959/PC-Chocolate-makers-ban-Easter-from-eggs

That story has more bollocks in it than a rugby team bath.

This prompted “angry and frustrated” campaigner David Marshall to set up the Meaningful Chocolate Company, in which his Fairtrade charity “Real Easter Egg” puts the religious message on to the packaging.

Which “religious message” would that be then?

Presumably some nice background information about the goddess ?ostre and the pagan fertility celebrations using rabbit, egg and chick symbology?

And they go on to quote spokesman who completely contradict the click-bait headline:

A Nestlé spokeswoman argued: “There has been no deliberate decision to drop the word Easter from our products.”

A Cadbury spokeswoman stressed: “We do not have a policy to drop Easter from our eggs.”

A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “We sell a wide range of Sainsbury’s Easter Eggs and do not have a policy relating to the word ‘Easter’.”

But that’s at the end of the article and Daily Star readers are unlikely to get that far before being distracted by some sidebar boobies.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s another pagan festival that the church couldn’t stamp out so they renamed it. You may as well fill your boots with pagan eggs as you’re going to hell for a good torturing anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But that’s at the end of the article and Daily Star readers are

best ignored

shermer75
    Free Member

Pagan egg sounds fun

thepurist

Why would the choccy companies consider banning easter eggs when they can sell 99p of chocolate for 5.99 by putting it in an egg-shaped mould and over packaging it?

D0NK

It’s another pagan festival that the church couldn’t stamp out so they renamed it.

sauce? I’ve heard that line before (and believed it) but pretty sure last time I googled it various sources suggested it was probably made up.

<edit> Not that zombie egg day was made up, we already know that, I mean the factoid that the pagans were already there but had their holiday TWOCed by those nasty christians

5thElefant
    Free Member

sauce? I’ve heard that line before (and believed it) but pretty sure last time I googled it various sources suggested it was probably made up.

On these occasions I always rely on the The Venerable Bede, (672-735) who in his book De Ratione Temporum said that Easter was named after Eostre. She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the “Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos.

GrahamS

sauce?

This seems like a good start:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/?ostre

Which bit in the bible describes the traditional Easter eggs, bunnies and chicks? 😉

D0NK

On these occasions I always rely on the The Venerable Bede

yeah the only historical reference to it, who several people think is a bit dodgy. may not be entirely accurate in all his writings.

I’m all for a bit more ammo against organised religion, but I’d like to be sure of my arguments and the only source being a weirdie beardy religious type, weeeeeeell call me cynical if you want……

perchypanther
    Free Member

If only we could find some kind of expert on Early Christianity with particular reference to the Saxon period?

Does such a person even exist and, if so, what are the chances of them reading this thread?

That would be a spooky coincidence indeed.

chewkw
    Free Member

Did you watch the BBC documentary on Cadbury chocolate factory?

Ya, your chocolate comes from cheap labour in other countries …

Nope I don’t buy Easter egg … 🙄

Northwind

The only people that should be offended by modern day easter are actual christians (I mean actual christians, not christians-by-default, that weird 50% of self-declared christians that don’t believe in god…). All of a sudden they find that the death of their lord jesus christ only really matters because you can use it to sell chocolate, that must kind of suck.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    The only people that should be offended by …

I am offended because them chocolate are no longer produced in BritLand Birmingham Bournville … 😡

Drac

What’s a modern day Easter Egg?

Cougar

Pagan egg sounds fun

I think they sell those in the back room in Ann Summers.

GrahamS

Good! I’m glad my cash is providing employment and investment in impoverished countries.

Would they be better off without the work? 😉

Seriously though, 99% of consumer stuff in this country involves “cheap labour in other countries” at some level. Kinda hard to avoid that.

zippykona

We sell Easter Eggs made by nice people in Belgium.
    Every Easter Saturday the church turn up opposite our shop and give Cadburys ones away.
    The news that they are made by children in death camps is good news to me. I shall be expecting some serious self flagellation from them this weekend.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    What’s a modern day Easter Egg?

maybe…?

ones made of chocolate, as opposed to the olden days i’ve read about when they were real eggs. but hand painted to make them magic.

just like those described in the bible….

thepurist

That Bible must’ve been heavily edited because it also omits any mention of trees, feasting, yule logs etc at Christmas.

grum
    Free Member

Christmas was ripped off from the Roman festival of saturnalia.

bails

Every year, usually by the same people who invented ‘Wintervile’

Just in case anyone didn’t already know, Winterval (ie “winter festival”) was an attempt to boost trade by extending the Christmas retail frenzy out from October to January, the key foundation of it was Christmas. They just linked it up woth halloween, diwali etc. It was an attempt to get more trade into the city centre, not an evil plot to steal Christmas.

And I’ve got a non-denominational chocolate ovoid on my desk that says “Your Easter egg has been made with Cadbury Dairy Milk” on the packaging. So Cadbury aren’t hiding it very well.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    That Bible must’ve been heavily edited because it also omits any mention of trees, feasting, yule logs etc at Christmas.

akshully.

the bible is very specific about christmas trees.

something along the lines of:

“do not copy the godless northerners, who chop down trees in winter before decorating them in gold and silver, as items of worship”

(Jeremiah 10)

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Good! I’m glad my cash is providing employment and investment in impoverished countries.[/quote]

Ya, but I am still paying rip-off obvious is obvious BritLand price innit!

Would they be better off without the work?

Do you want to save the world?
    Yes, they are better off without work.

Seriously though, 99% of consumer stuff in this country involves “cheap labour in other countries” at some level. Kinda hard to avoid that.

Seriously if you want to produce in “3rd world” then you should charge “3rd world” slavery price rather than rip-off BritLand I see you coming price. 🙄

🙄

GrahamS

As grum says Christmas is another example of Christianity hijacking an existing festival because they couldn’t stamp it out. Hence a lot of the unrelated symbology: mistletoe, holly, trees, etc

In fact Jesus probably wasn’t even born in December at all (or in a stable for that matter).

mrsfry
    Free Member

I’d say Judaism has a fair idea about this Jesus chap. According to it, JC is just a prophet and not such a big deal as Christianity makes him it to be.

As far as I know JC was born around September but was put to being born in December as another pagan festival hijack.

zippykona

In fact Jesus probably wasn’t even born in December at all (or in a stable for that matter).

And I seriously doubt his dad was a car painter.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Apparently the original text doesn’t say carpenter, but ‘master’, which could mean craftsman of some kind but also king in a literal sense. Lots of room for (mis)interpretation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Do easter eggs get banned every year or…’ is closed to new replies.