Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do all brakes squeal in the wet?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Are there any brakes which don’t make a noise in the wet, or is it just Avids?

Onzadog
    Free Member

They don’t all do it but there’s a lot of variables. Rotor size/type, frame, pads, mounting, alignment, even braking technique.

creamegg
    Free Member

Mine don’t 99% of the time. Hope sintered V4’s.
    My mates avids with third party pads squealed like a bitch all of the time.

coogan
    Free Member

All my brakes have let out a squeal when wet at some point. Worst were the Hopes I had years ago.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

X2 Hopes don’t.But the shimano on my commuter are like a wailing banshee when wet.

timidwheeler

My front screams at the slightest hint of water. The rear has never made a sound. Both are identical set ups. The pads have been replaced on both but still no difference. I have also just replaced the front fork so the caliper has been realigned from scratch.
    No difference.
    Both sets of brake pads have had copper slip applied to the rear.
    I have concluded it is down to karma.

nach
    Free Member

Hope M4s here, and they squeal for the first few rotations when wet, then stop until they’re wet again. I tried red rubber grease between the pads and pistons, made no difference.

jimmy

Haven’t had squeaky brakes in years of avids with kevlar pads. First rife of deores in the wet yesterday – squealin like a pig. Hoping different pads puts a stop to that.

ads678

My Elixir r’s do at first when they’re wet, but after a little hard braking they’re fine.

Some cheaper avids on the Mrs bike squeal like a mofo though.

closetroadie
    Free Member

It was suggested to me that copperslip on the back of the pads can reduce brake squeal.

zerocool

Generally sintered pads are noisier than resin pads. One of he reasons I only run resin now. That and I like the feel compared to sintered pads.

darrenspink
    Free Member

My Zees don’t. Have the pads that come with them and shimano rt 76 rotors.

deadkenny
    Free Member

In short – yes, depending on various factors, so they may or may not squeal for you.

I’ve ridden with plenty of people with horrendously squealing brakes and they aren’t running Avids.

Most of the issues are down to alignment and sintered pads.

My solution has been Superstar Kevlar pads. They can still squeal in the right conditions, but generally they’re quiet when sintered are making a racket.

closetroadie – Member
    It was suggested to me that copperslip on the back of the pads can reduce brake squeal.

Seen things debunking this. It’s come from the motor service industry relating to heat in car and motorbike brakes that can cause squealing, so people have quoted the same advice for bikes. Bike brakes, while they do get very hot, don’t get anywhere near as hot for the copperslip to be effective. At least that’s the anti-argument I’ve heard.

Personally I wouldn’t put copperslip anywhere near my brakes. Too easy to contaminate, and heat & friction on bike braking isn’t going to get rid of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do all brakes squeal in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.