Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Djokovic/Pembo Gluten Free Challenge
  • Pembo
    Free Member

In light of Djokovic and my recent fitness improvement due to being diagnosed with a gluten allergy I’m trying to get people to do a 1 week gluten free diet to see if you get any benefits.

Common symptoms of a wheat allergy include eczema, hives, asthma, “Hay fever”, angioedema (tissue swelling due to fluid leakage from blood vessels), abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting. Rarer symptoms include anaphylactic shock, arthritis, bloated stomach, chest pains, depression or mood swings, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, joint and muscle aches and pains (may be associated with progressive arthritis), palpitations, psoriasis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), swollen throat or tongue, tiredness and lethargy, and unexplained cough.

If you, your better half, or kids suffer from any of the above problems or you just want to try the gluten free plan for a week, give it a try and see how you get on.

Here’s what one of my riding buddies wrote after being on the diet for 3 weeks:
    “Can’t believe Ian’s riding now, made it up all the hills with no walking & not that slow either…didn’t get my usual rest at the top 😉 ,completely different mentality, he just wants to do extra bits and extra climbs now. Well impressed.”

WHAT CAN I EAT?
    The gluten-free diet is made up of:
    Naturally gluten-free foods such as meat, fish, fruit and vegetables, rice, potatoes and lentils.
    Processed foods which don’t contain gluten, such as ready meals and soups.
    Gluten-free substitute foods such as specially made gluten-free bread, flour, pasta, crackers and biscuits.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FEEL BETTER ON A GLUTEN-FREE DIET?
    The time it takes for someone to feel better on a gluten-free diet varies. Many people feel better within a few days and usually symptoms like nausea, diarrhoea and bloating clear up within a few weeks.

Although you should be OK with oats its worth avoiding them for the week. For breakfast go for Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies.

Beer – first question I asked the doc was can I drink beer, the answer was yes but I found it does adversely acaffect me. Great time of the year for drinking cider so try that instead for the week.

Good luck those of you who give this a go.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Interesting idea, my wife is coeliac, I on the other hand am a sandwichaholic. Might give it a go.

Solo
    Free Member

Ten months ago, front page ???.

Eh ?.

Drac

It got spammed, the spam post was removed.

Solo
    Free Member

It got spammed, the spam post was removed.

Thanks for that explaination, but I am a bit of an IT dunce, so I’m still none the wiser.
    What are we looking out for ?.

EDIT:

Anyway.

Pembo.
    If its been ten months since your post, have you been G/F since then and if so, hows that working out ?.

scaredypants

mmmm, spam sandwiches !! 😀

Solo
    Free Member

Seems that the OP isn’t about.

Anyone else doing that kind of a diet ^^^^^ ?

MussEd
    Free Member

I’m Gluten Free as I have Coeliac disease. It’s a right PITA to be frank. Wheat in everything, means checking all your labels. There are loads more GF products available nowadays but you have to search for them and they can be really dear.

You cant have normal beer, only GF stuff which is a) not widely available b) expensive and c) not that good. On balance there is excellent stuff on sale online from Greens brewery – their Blond Ale is ace…(£28 for 12 bottles!)

In short, unless your doctor recommends going gluten free as a result of blood test. I certainly wouldnt bother just to follow some famous sportsbod’s recommendation…

*another problem with OP’s post – Corn Flakes and Rice Crispies both contain gluten(Kellogg’s do anyway – some own label cheapos might not)

Pembo
    Free Member

Still GF after 10 months, went back for a 6 month check-up but only had the top bit scoped so no need for the dreaded Picolax.

Doc was hoping 6 months off the Gluten may have cured me but I’m off it for life now 🙁

Found a really good bread recipe which makes things a bit more bearable and restaurants are usually very good at telling you what is GF. I noticed last week the italian chain Bella Italia do GF Pizza but haven’t tried them yet.

What’s with the spam???

Beer is a problem and real ale does cause me problems. Bud is supposed to be low on gluten and cider is OK.

As mentioned above supermarket brand Corn Flakes and Rice Crispies seem to be OK.

timc
    Free Member

thought you were allergic to riding your bike outside of chesire?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Djokovic/Pembo Gluten Free Challenge’ is closed to new replies.