Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY or LBS?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Sometimes, it’s just easier to get someone else to do certain jobs. With this in mind, would you:

A) Fit your new Shimano hydros yourself. So:

– Unwrap bars
    – Remove inners
    – Remove brakes/shifters
    – Replace internally routed rear brake outer with new hydro hose.
    – Fit new brakes/shifters
    – Trim and install hoses
    – Fill/bleed system
    – Index gears
    – Re-wrap bars

B) Pay LBS £45 to do it.

The RS685s are a new one to me, but have all the tech docs, so filling/bleeding them looks straight forward.

Decisions, decision.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

£45 sounds very fair for all of that. Though it depends how much time and cash you have spare. Used to work on my hourly rate as a guide to DIY.

wishiwascalledsteve

It depends on whether you enjoy tinkering with your bike and how much your spare time is worth.
    If you enjoy it and have lots of spare time then do it yourself. If you don’t enjoy tinkering that much or your spare time is limited let the LBS do it.

scotroutes

I’d diy. But that would be because I’d be fitting everything and then riding it before I taped it up, just to make sure everything was in the “right” position. I’m also pretty fussy about cable lengths and routing. Learning how to do it all whilst new also puts you in a better place should anything need changed, serviced, repaired.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d diy. But that would be because I’d be fitting everything and then riding it before I taped it up, just to make sure everything was in the “right” position. I’m also pretty fussy about cable lengths and routing.

Assuming everything goes back where it came from, that shouldn’t be an issue, but you do make a good point. As cable routing/length, as well as having the opportunity to maybe alter a position of something, will probably swing it towards cracking a beer open tonight and spilling mineral oil all over the kitchen.

Learning how to do it all whilst new also puts you in a better place should anything need changed, serviced, repaired.

You’re such a wise old onion, druidh. Good point, well made 8)

Sundayjumper

I’d always DIY but that’s just me. Is your LBS genuinely L or does it involve some hassle getting there & back, time without your bike etc ? If it takes an hour or more of your time that’s another factor in favour of DIY !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Learning how to do it all whilst new also puts you in a better place should anything need changed, serviced, repaired.

You can know how to do something and pay someone else

Jamie
    Free Member

You can know how to do something and pay someone else

In this instance, I kind of know what something 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If I had the time to do it in relative leisure and take some pleasure from it I’d do it myself (although the trimming hoses/filling/bleeding bits would probably put me off a bit).
    If circumstances were such that it was just a job that needed doing then I’d be tempted by the LBS, £45 sounds pretty fair for that lot.
    Assuming you have an LBS you trust to do a good job of course.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY or LBS?’ is closed to new replies.