Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DIY change your name deed poll, is it possible advice please
  • stayhigh

Morning All

My name was changed by deed poll when I was a child and since then I appear to have lost the certificate. I have my birth certificate, which is in the old name (which I havent been for some 20 years) and need the change of name to registar for a new work ID card (stupid NHS) and a passport application.

I have contacted the solicitors who handled the CON to see if they have a copy of the cert or if they are able to draw up a replacement but they havent been much help tbh. I wondered if I can write a document/use a template renouncing the use of the previous name in favour of the name I have always used which is signed by witnesses or do i have to go trhough another solicitor/deed poll service online?

Any advice is much appreciated as I need to get this sorted ASAP.

Cheers all 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Have the lawyers given any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I’d guess – but I’m no expert – that simoly changing your name (by deed poll) to the one you want is the simplest answer. A deed poll is just a deed (a type of binding legal doc) signed by one person. What else needs to be done to make it effect, I have no idea.

Good luck.

PS Now’s your chance to permanently enshrine your STW login…

davidjones15
    Free Member
    cheez0
    Free Member

you are rafa benitez and I claim my £5

stayhigh

If only I was as popular as Rafa lol

The advice guide link gives a template for a statutory declaration of a change of name which looks just the ticket. Off to the local Magistrates Court for me then.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have changed my name through deed poll, the UK deed poll office (if that’s the country in which the name was changed in) will have a record of it and be able to issue you a new certificate for about £12.

Archive Deed Polls

theotherjonv

I change mine every few years, to keep THEM off my trail.

So far it’s worked because I haven’t been stabbed with a poison tipped umbrella or spirited off to the gulags in the dead of night. It has made claiming PPI difficult though, so many forms x so many names!

konabunny
    Free Member

Have you checked to see whether the deed poll was “enrolled”? See point 5 here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/change-of-name.htm

wingnuts

This has got me thinking… how long does it take? Could I get it done in time to avoid the mother-in-law coming for Christmas?

scaredypants

So far it’s worked because I haven’t been stabbed with a poison tipped umbrella or spirited off to the gulags in the dead of night. It has made claiming PPI difficult though, so many forms x so many names!

Oh yeah ? – where’s the original jonv though ? poor bastard

scaredypants

anyone else ever heard the story of Mr Naughty Rascal ?

(god I hope it’s true)

crankboy
    Free Member

2. Essential information

Contrary to popular belief, it has always been possible to change your name without having to register the change with any official body. It is still perfectly legal for anyone over the age of 16 to start using a new name at any time, as long as they are not doing so for a fraudulent or illegal reason.
    From the link . All you should need to do is demonstrate you have been using your name . Letter from a person who knows you driving licence bills etc. As a solicitor I knock up declarations that basically say ” I new name previously known as old name hereby renounce my former name and direct all persons to call me new name in place of old name and will hence forth use the name of new name in place of old name”. We get the client to solemnly and sincerely declare it and give them the document on nice paper with signatures and a rubber stamp . Has the same legal effect as shout in the street from now on call me Ramona but at least it is something to wave at officials.

Moses

I changed my name by statutory declaration many years ago. It was cheap & easy.It seems to have worked.

Rich
    Free Member

It’s free and easy. Doesn’t need registering in any way.

Just print off the correct wording and get a ‘professional’ to countersign it.
    My accountant friend did ours.

Since got passports using this method with no problems.

Cougar

anyone else ever heard the story of Mr Naughty Rascal ?

Is that anything like the story of Mr Yorkshire Bank PLC Are Fascist Bastards?

After being charged £20 for a £10 overdraft, 30 year old Michael Howard of Leeds changed his name by deed poll to ‘Yorkshire Bank Plc are Fascist Bastards’. The bank has now asked him to close his account, and Mr Bastards has asked them to repay the 69p balance by cheque, made out in his new name.

stayhigh

Does it have to be a solicitor or JP who signs it or can it be say a doctor? I work in a hospital you see so would save me going to court so to speak.

allthegear
    Free Member

You don’t need to go to a court, any notary will do. Notaries are usually Solicitors.

The Solicitors across the street from me were able to take the Statutory Declaration that I had prepared and witness me reading it out. Took a few minutes and she only charged me £5 for the stamp and 5 copies.

Easy!!

Rachel

scaredypants

Is that anything like the story of Mr Yorkshire Bank PLC Are Fascist Bastards?

A lot like that but quite a bit more apochryphal I suspect: Geezer up in court for a minor offence so changed his name for comedy effect and then not allowed to change it back as he was a convicted criminal.

Went round our school in the early 1980s (- not the geezer; the story)

njee20
    Free Member

Genuinely LOL’d at that. Well done.

Mr Bastards

Is also funny.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DIY change your name deed poll, is it possible advice please’ is closed to new replies.