Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Disc wheel for 2002 Rockhopper advice
  • lune
    Free Member

After many years away from bikes, I’m trying to fix up an old 2002 ‘Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS comp’ and inspire myself to get back on the trails. I’ve been raiding a mates parts bin and swapped old shot Manitou forks for some Rock Shox Recon’s which in turn needed a front disc brake. Luckily we continued to raid the bin and I’ve nicked his Juicy 3’s and bolted on the front disc and a Mavic/Shimano front wheel.
    I should also probably mention at this point the bike has been tinkered with over the years, so the standard spec does not necessarily apply. It has 8spd gear with XT mechs, I’m pretty sure the current rear wheel ain’t original.
    Now I have the rear disc brake to bolt on, however require a compatible rear disc wheel…
    The current rim is an old STX Parallax hub with a Shimano HG 8sp cassette. I’m trying to avoid wandering into the local bike store and spending £60-£70 on a pretty standard/heavy rim, so plan on keeping eye’s peeled in forum for sale sections and the bay etc.
    When considering any potential wheels that come up is there anything specific that I need to watch out for compatibility wise? I’d like to avoid getting into trouble with either a potential wheel not fitting or my 8sp gear being incompatible. I’m also at a bit of a cross roads as I don’t want to go throwing loads of money at a 10yr old bike, however any new purchases may be transferred onto a newer project at a later date… therefore spending semi decent money on wheels isn’t out of the question. That and I’m enjoying tinkering on with it! It’s reminding me of the days when I’d spend money from my paper round on Ti bolts and drool at XTR in shop cabinets lol:-)
    Thanks in advance for any tips!

orangeboy
    Free Member

There will be no problem Useing your 8 sp cassette on any 9 speed wheel

Apart from that just make sure you get a wheel with the correct disc fitting.
    Either 6 bolts or centre lock depending on what disc you have

lune
    Free Member

Cheers orangeboy, it looks like I’m not too limited then. Luckily its Six bolt fitment I need, which appear to be quite common. Fears on shopping for a 10yr old mtb allayed for the minute then:-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Disc wheel for 2002 Rockhopper advice’ is closed to new replies.