• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by g5604.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • disc brakes, sale ones but which Magura/ Formula or shimano?
  • vondally
    Free Member

so a set of brakes is required for a trail bike build, they need to be cheap, reliable and able to have some feeling not on or off

options on the web I have seen are

Magura MT 2 or 4 at CRC around 25 to 40 per end total 80 no rotors or adaptors but plenty in the shed

Formula Megas merlin 109 for the set inc rotors and adaptors

Shimano slx around 90 pounds

Thoughts? Recommendations? experinces?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I like my MT2’s but go for Deores.

vondally
    Free Member

any reason?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

On various bikes I have Deores, SLX, MT2’s , Elixirs and Zee’s. So I have quite a mix.
    MT2’s are great, but I worry about the plastic clamps on the levers. They also need a lot more work to cut hoses, even if you buy a hose close to what you want. They have a great feel with sintered pads and decent discs. I destroyed the Magura discs on a trip to Spain. I have them on a commuter with some old Hope discs and don’t miss a beat for the last year.

Deores just seem to work brilliantly. Easy to cut hoses. Decent non flexing levers. Easy to bleed and get Shimano fluid.

SLX are as above but with an adjuster, which I never move and ceramic pistons. Seen Deores in Spain with normal pistons and they never overheated, so not really needed.

mcnultycop

Had both MT2 and 4. They are great and really light, but I eventually replaced them with XTs as I kept bending the levers in crashes and parts were stupidly expensive. However, if you are getting them for the price you say then that is no issue.

I’ve got a spare 203mm Storm rotor if you are interested.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

they feel identical to slx but are cheaper. deores use allenkey adjustment and slx have a dial. The deores use a split pin and the slx use a screw in bolt i believe are th eonly differences. maybe someone else with more knowledge would be able ot tell you more.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

XT has a screw pin, slx and Deore are both split pin for pads.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Magura’s are utter shite, so shite I feel the need to seek out every thread that mentions them and bad mouth ’em.

benji
    Free Member

Got magura MTS,s far too much plastic, the bar clamp uses silly nuts that as you tighten them you get less and less engagement of the tool, to the point it’s right but you can’t undo them. The deores had great feel, and on another plus side if you run spyres it’s the same pad, meaning less money in spares.

iainc

XT has a screw pin, slx and Deore are both split pin for pads.

Slx is threaded for the screw pins which cost £3 each at wiggle. Don’t know if deore also threaded.

vondally
    Free Member

real shame as the old magra louise and martas were great brakes

granny_ring

I’ve just fitted some deores on a mates bike, in the few times I used them I couldn’t feel much difference between them and the XTs on my bike so I’d go for the deore.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I just bought SLX from Wiggle £86.something for F&R.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have some Sram Guide R just taken straight off a new bike if you are interested.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare 203mm Storm rotor if you are interested.

I am if he´s not!

Email in profile.

I have some Sram Guide R just taken straight off a new bike if you are interested.

Price?

cp

Slx are nice over deore-

Better finish
    Can put a pad screw in rather than spilt pin
    Ceramic pistons
    Often come with finned pads
    Hose has a banjo at caliper so can adjust hose angle

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Wiggle have some Formula brakes for around £30 an end also I think, worth adding to the shortlist.

dirtydog
    Free Member

+ Ceramic pistons will stay corrosion free.

parkesie
    Free Member

Id go shimano over mt2 ive got the mt2 and while the work faultlessly they lack out right power and some times remind me of rim brakes in the wet.

bentudder

Deores are marvellous – probably heavier than the XTs, not as well finished as the SLX, but they do the job fantastically.

VanHalen

I’ve just got a pair of teh mt2s and while they work i wish i’d got deores now as i had to get the hose shortening kit, fluid and bleed stuff so if i’d just bouyght the depres i’d have spent the same and had the same brakes.

still i was suckered in but they do work nicely, easily the same power as deores here.

vondally
    Free Member

maguras off the list

shimano or formula

Reggie will pass on the brakes and rotor………sram/avids nightmares of days passed

g5604
    Free Member

Pretty sure there is very little weight difference between derore/slx/xt

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘disc brakes, sale ones but which Magura/ Formula or shimano?’ is closed to new replies.