Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Disc brakes on carbon road bikes? Worth it?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

There seem to be a few high end carbon road bikes from the likes of Trek, offering disc brakes as options. Now I haven’t seen any on the TDF but apparently they are not UCI legal.

Are they worth it on a road bike?

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Now I haven’t seen any on the TDF but apparently they are not UCI legal.

Why does that matter?

hatter

YES!

Since I got my Croix De Fer my eyes have been opened to just how useless standard road brakes are (even good ones). Being able to stop faster and with more control is a huge benefit when riding in heavy traffic. It saved me from going over a woman’s bonnet just this morning.

With 25-28c tyres and better tread compounds there’s enough grip to make use of the power and more modulation is always a good thing.

Wannabe pros will stock with caliper brakes for now but for those that don’t race and ride on normal rough/wet British roads it’s a no brainer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why not have disc brakes? Why have some antique style brakes that don’t work properly in the wet and Wear out the rim?

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have just got one of them new fangled Trek disc road bikes and for riding in the wet it’s a no brainer, the brakes work rim brakes don’t.
    I use it for commuting so it gets used in all conditions, I bought it primarily for the fact that it has discs. I wouldn’t go back now. Too many occasions where I haven’t been able to stop in the wet.

Other benefits, no rim wear, no brake pad sludge after a wet ride.
    Drawbacks, bit heavier and the pads sometimes rattle in the calipers.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Why does that matter?

You can’t enter any races, not even cat 4 ones. Racing is a much greater part of a typical road cycling club’s activities than it would be in MTB (Strava doesn’t count!).

cookeaa

Shirley its quite simple if you plan to be racing this summer, don’t buy a disc braked road bike…

If you’re not a racer, or unlikely to try it until the UCI changes the rules, only want a winter training/all year round road bike or you are an MTBer dabbling with the “Darkside” then Consider disc brakes…

If/when the UCI does allow them I wouldn’t be shocked to see a few bargains about on “Traditional” Rim braked, 130mm spaced Road bikes when the bigger chain stores rush to flog the latest “new” technology…

Shred
    Free Member

For me it is worth it, as I don’t race. I have just got back from the Alps where I did the Marmotte and more rides there. I loved the control and confidence that the disc brakes inspired. I wouldn’t go back.

nemesis
    Free Member

Sportives are races though, aren’t they and you’re allowed discs in those 🙂

He is right though, ‘proper’ road races don’t allow discs. That’s probably not an issue for someone asking the OP though.

To the question though, yes, particularly if you ride in all conditions but I’ve found them good on unexpected car-pulls-out-stupidly type panic braking situations even in the dry. As on mtbs it’s not really about power (afterall calipers easily have enough of that in the dry and usually plenty still in the wet once the rim has cleared of water) but more about control.

njee20
    Free Member

I must say, as I bailed onto the pavement to avoid hitting the back of a van yesterday in pouring rain, I was mentally specing the disc equipped commuter bike!

Sure it’s the way it’s going, weight aside there’s no real disadvantage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Define “worth it”?

They’re probably better brakes. Hydraulic ones seem to be a £200-£300+ premium. IMO/IME rim brakes work acceptably well (appart from carbon rims in the wet, which isn’t IME as I’ve never used them).

Cross – definately

Commuting – possibly

Road (on a nice summers day rather than a MTFU training ride in december rain) – waste of money

95% of my riding is in the 3rd category (that’s the sunny sunday club runs in summer, not the racing category).

MoreCashThanDash

Geordiepaul said it all. Unless you race, why not get discs? Disc equipped commuting feels so much better.

Given that most of us don’t race, and use road bikes when the trails are swampfests, a disc equipped road bike that takes mudguards should be high on the wishlists.

Not just high end stuff either, interesting looking Fuji Sportif in tbe work bike shed at the moment.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

depends if you want good brakes, rather than okay brakes.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve had a disc braked road bike for about 5 years now. Its alright.
    For most of my road riding I use a rim calliper braked bike though, as I have nice wheels etc already that work perfectly well enough for me and the riding that I do, and I don’t feel the need to suddenly throw everything away because its the next big thing.
    …also I have a niner Air9 Carbon to build up this weekend.

nemesis
    Free Member

Show off 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You can’t enter any races, not even cat 4 ones. Racing is a much greater part of a typical road cycling club’s activities than it would be in MTB (Strava doesn’t count!).

That’s what I was getting at. As if the OP is planning on doing all of the above, then the question is moot (mute?), as he can’t use them anyway.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Depending on where you live/leave the bike it might be worth factoring in whether discs might make the bike for attractive to thieves.
    Personally I would get discs over caliper brakes because I like the extra stopping power. Never had a problem locking up on mine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes on carbon road bikes? Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.