Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • dippy eggs and soldiers..advice please..
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

someone told me little kids shouldnt have them? i loved them as a kid and sure my little ones would too.
    tips and advice on the time needed to boil them would be great.my mum could do it to perfection but i personally have never tried…

odannyboy
    Free Member

ps.they need to be liquid,just but then turn to solid during the time needed to eat one. fantastic! god id kill for one now…mmmmmmm!

MrsTricky
    Free Member

mmmm delicious! Can't see why your kids can't have them.

I boil my eggs for 5 mins

mrst

clubber
    Free Member

My 18 month old has the reasonably regularly and loves them. No problems I know of… I imagine the overbearing nannying reason is that because they're not cooked through (eg the yolk's solid) they could have salmonella.

lister

Delia's method works for me…get some water simmering in a pan, prick eggs at the rounded end with a pin then put in water for 1 minute. After 1 minute of simmering, turn off heat and put a lid on the pan, leave for 6 minutes for runny yolk, 7 minutes for creamy yolk.

Works evey time and serve with marmite soldiers. My kids wolf them down. (I think under 12 months they shouldn't have runny eggs? Mine are 3 and 18months)

ourmaninthenorth

This is my dinner sorted for this evening..!

Jamie
    Free Member

On Sunday night i had a sudden urge to have egg and soldiers. Used Delia's method as described above and it was all good. Luckily i had a nice loaf of Warburton's Toastie in the freezer as them soldiers need to be made using white bread for that proper old school touch.

It was spectacular. :mrgreen:

mcboo
    Free Member

Boil the water in your kettle, place 2 eggs in a pan, turn the heat up to warm the pan for 15-30 seconds then pur the water in. Dont leave the water boiling away or you will crack the eggs, turn it down until it is just simmering nicely.

5 mins 15 seconds is perfect for me, firm white, nice runny yolk. You need to eat them straight away as they keep cooking in the shell.

They said he couldnt boil an egg…….

theotherjonv

since the poaching thread just before Christmas, boiled eggs have been firmly usurped in our house.

Obviously on a nice slice of toast so the runny yolk seeps into it……

odannyboy
    Free Member

oh, poaching! now i havent had a poached egg since the earth cooled down.
    weird how they taste different,poached,scrammbled or boiled

cant stand them cold tho and egg mayonaise is the devils creation..YUK! id rather eat me own do do! 😯

<googles poaching pans>

theotherjonv

don't bother;

here is what you need to know.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/poached-eggsal-last

I personally favour the clingfilm method but that will offend the purists on here.

Fop
    Free Member

What you need is one of the below; perfect soldiers every time. you simply rock the thing over bread before toasting which scores/cuts it, allowing you to snap off the soldiers after toasting. The real genius bits are the "yolk bayonets" which are the long thinner bits at the edge!!! I use mine every Saturday morning!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000IJDGJK/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=11052681&s=kitchen

GW
    Free Member

OMFG!! 😯

ooOOoo
    Free Member

That's a truly great product.
    Though it's generally Quail Eggs with Asparagus Dippers when one's back at the country pile. Toodle-pip.

odannyboy
    Free Member

so is it safe to say, that eating them runny is ok???

theotherjonv
    FuzzyWuzzy

Get a Tefal Toast'n'Egg, they're genius – 2 slice toaster with egg poacher/boiler attached (will do 1 poached or 4 boiled eggs at a time). The toast is done not long before the eggs are ready, giving time to butter and slice it 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Boiled eggs taste even better when you've just gone down the garden to collect the eggs. Ours live in the tack room, by the stable at the bottom of the orchard 8)

Four chickens = four eggs a day

Really fresh eggs are the key to lovely poaching, as they hold together really well. Ours are often difficult to fry, because they don't spread out in the pan.

Jamie
    Free Member

I personally favour the clingfilm method but that will offend the purists on here.

Finally it looks like i will bother to try and poach an egg!

How long poaching time incidentally?

D0NK

Get a Tefal Toast'n'Egg

if those work as good as they sound they get my vote for invention of the century. Are the toast slots deep enough for proper sized warby bread tho?

Notter
    Free Member

Jamie – 5 minutes works for me for a runny-tastic yolk but I do find I need to sort of push the clingfilm wrapped egg into the water at first to ensure it doesn't float, the top of the egg doesn't cook properly then.

Genius method though and minimal washing up!

FuzzyWuzzy

@Donk – unfortunately the slots aren't very deep (I rotate the slices mid-way through toasting if they're big slices), the other iffy thing about it is you need to oil the poached egg pan thing each time otherwise the egg doesn't come out very easily. Other than that though it works a treat.

D0NK

I rotate the slices mid-way through toasting if they're big slices

Why is it so difficult to make a proper sized 2 slice toaster?

odannyboy
    Free Member

donk,
    its a conspiracy theory linked to worldwide wheat prices…its all linked to the mafia and al qaeda…bread burning equates to gross increase in usage of 176.259% per annum…honest

Jamie
    Free Member

Notter – Member
    Jamie – 5 minutes works for me for a runny-tastic yolk but I do find I need to sort of push the clingfilm wrapped egg into the water at first to ensure it doesn't float, the top of the egg doesn't cook properly then.

Genius method though and minimal washing up!

Cheers dude.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I love egs & soldiers and so do my children especially duck eggs! nom nom nom.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not done a [soft] boiled egg since sorting out how to do brilliant poached eggs.

I do find I need to sort of push the clingfilm wrapped egg into the water at first to ensure it doesn't float, the top of the egg doesn't cook properly then

When you 'wrap' the egg in cling film just try to get as much air out from above the egg as possible, it'll then float lower and cook better. also if the cling film is very grippy you might need to oil it a little before breaking the egg in – this way the cooked egg just drops straight out and looks wicked 🙂 4 mins cooking time for me with eggs produced by our own hens.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

my number 1 tip is not to keep your eggs in the fridge

other than that, 4 min in boiling water and a further 1 min with the heat turned off

homemade bread makes crap soldiers though, tends to be too soft 🙁

theotherjonv

re: sharkbait.

If you overdo the twist at the top you get a little wispy bit of white which doesn't look quite as good. My latest technique mod therefore is to minimise the air content as described, but then after a short bit of cooking snip the top of the clingfilm where the last bit of air is, which allows it to sink properly.

4mins or just above for me, depends a bit on the egg size too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

after a short bit of cooking snip the top of the clingfilm where the last bit of air is, which allows it to sink properly.

That sounds like a good idea….. it would also make it a bit easier to get the egg out of the cf! Will try that one tonight 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘dippy eggs and soldiers..advice please..’ is closed to new replies.