Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • digital aerials how much ????
  • jordie
    Free Member

I have a aerial fitter coming round to give me a quote to replace my old Aerial with a digital one.So i have an idea if his price is in the ballpark anybody give me a heads up on cost£££

lodious
    Free Member

c. £100-150 for a simple installtion, but be careful, some installers don't include the VAT when quoting and also try to charge crazy amounts for 'upgraded' aerials.

A digital aerial costs the same as an analogue one.

That's because they are the same thing.

Are you sure you need one?

The only possible difference is that the 'digital' aerial is really a wideband analogue device capable of covering all the available channels more effectively. Your digital signals might all be concentrated in a narrow band that your old aerial might be perfectly capable of receiving. Do some checks.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I've got someone coming Wednesday to give a proper quote but over the phone I was told £85 plus vat to supply and fit the aerial. That seemed VERY cheap, when I was searching a couple of years ago (just before the recession/at its start) I struggled to find someone to do it and phone quotes were £175 to £250 ish. That's London prices. Anything under £150 to supply and fit is not a rip-off if its done neatly.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Check your local free paper. Some guys round here are advertising fitted for 35 quid. I'm sure there are extra's like fresh cable etc

neilnevill
    Free Member

A digital aerial is a bit different and in my experience can make a significant differnce to the picture/channels received. The quality of the cable is different too, for digital you want some decent co-ax, with the 'foil screen' as well as the 'granny's knitting' (copper shielding). The aerial cost and the work involved is largely the same though.

jordie
    Free Member

our exsiting picture is crap qualiy and i bought a box but it goes all scrambled then comes back then scrambles again.I really need a new one thanks for the info
    J.

izakimak
    Free Member

i paid £75 to have a new digital ariel fitted this was for the ariel,coax into the front room and another coax round the back into the bedroom. This was a couple of years ago though so £100 doesn't sound too bad.

ton

£100 for a aerial to a single tv is the going rate,

Del

in reality there's probably nothing wrong with the bit of metal on your wall/chimney/in your attic at all. most reception issues stem from poor connectors, or cabling full of water, for instance. man comes along and fits a 'digital ariel' and lo! your signal is better after replacing 20 year old cabling as if by magic. if you're a reasonably capable individual there's not much you can't fix yourself.
    most 'digital aerials' don't differ a great deal from a regular analogue yagi that's been in use for years.
    plenty of bull5hit in this area of industry so beware. i'm certain that for the absolute optimum reception nothing but the best gold connectors, and the finest coax rolled on the thighs of cuban virgins will do, but for the same reasons that if you have poor reception the picture goes to absolute 5hit, so long as your reception is good enough your picture will be as good as if you'd spent 3 times as much as you'd need.
    no axes to grind personally, just HTH.

ton

£100 for a bloke to come and do the job in say 1 hour. £20 for gear, fuel to pay for, 3rd party insurance, his accident insurance.

not bad for a ton.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I paid 120 quid a couple of months ago. My old aerial had corroded and been snapped by the birds, plus my co-ax was full of water.

Interestingly, the installer said that his job was much easier in these digital times as "it either works or it doesn't"

For examples, a lot of my neighbours in the bottom of the aire valley have aerials on tall masts to try to get better line of sight with Emley Moor. After checking that I didn't want to use analogue for anything, my installer mounted my aerial low down close to the roof to get some signal reflection off the chimney and roof. Works a treat. Analogue ghosts like crazy because of this setup – but not a problem for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘digital aerials how much ????’ is closed to new replies.