• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Different grips?- aching hands. Do I need narrower or fatter grips?!
  • hora
    Free Member

Im not sure if they are 'fatter' or narrower- using Lizard Skins (not the lockons) – to alleviate the ache (arch inbetween thumb and index finger).

Help!

Jamie
    Free Member

MTFU.

You know it makes sense.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it's between the thumb and the index finger, it may not be the grips. Which fingers do you use for braking? You could try changing the way you grip things generally. It's a very western idea of thing a strong grip is strangling something between the thumb and index finger where some cultures grip across the palm and attach using the little finger first (if that doesn't make sense, ask a Japanese swordsman)

However, I think the Lizard skins are quite narrow. Oury make some rather fat ones.

clubber
    Free Member

You need to stop w@king

wwaswas

try ergon grips – they're a bit fatter than most grips and the shape means you're less likely to end up with a death grip on the bars

thefallguy
    Free Member

Try and run your forks a bit softer, try some spesh bg gel gloves, ritchey foam grips are a bit more forgiving than lock-ons if you can get on with them too.

AndyP
    Free Member

HTFU

hora
    Free Member

Foam grips- from the deepest/darkest recessing of my memory I remember them being recommended in MBUK/MBR for comfort! Thank you

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39258

badfink
    Free Member

I had really bad hand ache with the grips that came stock on my Reign X. the thin grips meant my hands would cramp up halfway through hairy downhill sections, and generally make it very difficult to hold on.

Swapped to some ODI Rogue Lock-Ons and haven't had a problem since. I also bought some Oury's, which feel lovely, but I found them just a little too squidgy.

hora
    Free Member

badfink thats whats happening to me. I brake with my index finger and hold on with my thumb/other three fingers.

lowey

Ergon will sort you out. They did for me, and despite them looking like butt plugs, I have never had a recurrence of sore hands / wrists since.

kimbers

odi cross trainer grips are super cpmfy

wear quickly but meant for riding with no gloves

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/ODI_Cross_Trainer_Bonus_Kit_Handlebar_Grips/5360029241/#at

hora
    Free Member

Thank you guys. Will look them up. Especially the Cross Trainer and others. TBH- the Ergon freaks me abit!!

nedrapier

clubber – he needs to stop waking?!

Bit drastic, but I guess it would sort a bunch of problems. 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I think this will help

http://tinyurl.com/yz9h32z

billybob
    Free Member

You could try bmx grips, super squishy & soft, just need to cut off the flange (snigger)

iamtheresurrection

The Rogues are pretty wide. I could sell you some, one ride old, lock ons with more than one ride old collars for a tenner posted if you want to try them.

I ride with either ODI Ruffians and Intense, both of which a thin…

hora
    Free Member

It's a very western idea of thing a strong grip is strangling something between the thumb and index finger where some cultures grip across the palm and attach using the little finger first (if that doesn't make sense, ask a Japanese swordsman)

'W@king' technique as well? 🙄

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I would try moving your bars a few degrees forwards or more likly back,makes a hudge difference to pressure points on your hands.

Looking along the side of the bar I prefer a five to eleven position. all imho of course.

hora
    Free Member

I would try moving your bars a few degrees forwards or more likly back,makes a hudge difference to pressure points on your hands.

Looking along the side of the bar I prefer a five to eleven position. all imho of course.

You know such a simple suggestion but its a new build and I've gone from a longer toptube to a slight-smidgen shorter yet kept the bars at exactly the same angle. Will play with the angle – thank you.

Edit hard to tell from the pic but they are slightly fwd. I always thought slightly more fwd helped with stability/control at faster speeds?
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4037293037_a7e3eff47a_b.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Different grips?- aching hands. Do I need narrower or fatter grips?!’ is closed to new replies.