Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • DHX5 Coil vs Air? (Heckler content)
  • Burts
    Free Member

I’m thinking of lightening the load on my 2008 Heckler (currently 34lbs) to make my life a little easier on XC rides. It came fitted with a 08 DHX5 Coil and I’ve now got the opportunity to do a straight swap for a 08 DHX5 Air. That should knock 1lb off, every little helps!

But the coil shock works great and I’ve read that the air has had poor reliability issues in the past. So I’m looking for thoughts on coil vs. air performance and the 08 Air’s reliability. The swap sounds good in theory but reality is another matter.

(FWIW, I’m in Vancouver and mostly riding XC/AM trails with occasional visits to the bike park.) Cheers!

mboy
    Free Member

DHX Air blows through its travel WAY too easily, even with 175psi in the piggyback! I have to set mine up with too much air in the main air chamber (which of course limits small bump sensitivity) for my weight, to aid in stopping the bottom out.

Certainly, when I’ve got some money again, I will be going the opposite way on my Giant Reign X (ie. fitting a DHX coil), which incidentally gets used from everything from XC loops, to messing around on DH tracks, but no big drops or anything.

Better option for some weight loss from the shock (though not cheap) would be a titanium spring. At least it won’t compromise the shocks performance for a weight saving.

Besides, if your Heckler is 34lb, there’s probably a few other components you could lighten (without affecting reliability) to lose a couple of pounds off its overall weight right?

Burts
    Free Member

Besides, if your Heckler is 34lb, there’s probably a few other components you could lighten (without affecting reliability) to lose a couple of pounds off its overall weight right?

For sure. I’d love to replace the coil Pike426 or the WTB DualDuty wheelset but the cost would be significant and this summer’s bike budget is miniscule! The DHX coil/air swap wouldn’t cost anything.

Mmmm, maybe I’ll just have to stick with it and get fitter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘DHX5 Coil vs Air? (Heckler content)’ is closed to new replies.