Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Detroit – not as failed as you might think!
  • globalti
    Free Member

My brother in Michigan sent me this link:

http://www.vice.com/uneven-terrain/detroit-lives-full-length

Plenty of urbex and Motown music but also regeneration of a failed city from the grass roots up.

ska-49
    Free Member

Really interesting! Watching now. Thanks for sharing.

heckler73
    Free Member

great stuff. best thing ive watched this wek, if i was stateside id seriously think of movin there, my kinda place, cheers for link …..

donks
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff….
    Looks like a gem for urban riders and bmx.

easygroove
    Free Member

Great vid – i went there 3 times in the early mid90’s, a mate from Uni went out there to work as an engineer for a firm that supplies to GM! It was a crazy place with a rich underground scene and some proper no go areas!

globalti
    Free Member

The same thing is happening there as happened in Hebden Bridge: industrial town goes down the pan – property prices bottom out – hippies and artists move in – town reinvents itself.

A little bigger than Hebden though, admittedly!

yunki
    Free Member

superb..!

thanks for sharing

loddrik
    Free Member

Detroit to be twinned with Hebden Bridge!! I like it!!! 😀

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks globalti, that’s a great video. I really liked the way they pointed out the brand new school next to the empty one! I’m also quite impressed with Johnny Noxville doing something serious.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I only skipped through it – will watch in full later – but it seems like a classic case of gentrification. While that is often seem as positive, there are also many downsides to that kind of redevelopment.

yunki
    Free Member

hmm.. certainly by the bikesnob definition.. (the part in the film where the cafe owner describes the 200 hipsters on their bikes cannot be refuted.. 🙂 )

I don’t think Detroit can possibly be described as a classic case of anything though can it..? And there’s always downsides to change

I’d be interested to get your opinion after you watch the full film

tonyg2003

I’ll have to watch this later. I go to Detroit maybe 10 times a year (I was there most of this week) and will probably go more soon. Central Detroit is really desperate apart from the small downtown area.

On the upside I know many great people in Detroit, some very weathly people and outside the centre there are some great neighbourhoods (Grosse Point anyone?).

However the housing and industrial decay is to be seen to be beleived, especially the scale. I’ve traveled alot of the US and Europe and only early 90’s eastern europe comes close.

globalti
    Free Member

Industrial areas of Britain looked like that in the 60s and 70s and in Lancashire there are still derelict cotton mills:

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

thanks for the heads up, loved it, feeling inspired

konabunny
    Free Member

it seems like a classic case of gentrification.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!

peterfile
    Free Member

While you’re all on Vice.com, I urge you to watch the Vice Guide to Liberia.

“I am General Butt Naked!”

“Why do they call you that?”

“Because when I go into battle, I am always butt naked”

tonyg2003

Interesting, heartwarming documentary but it kinda fails on some of the practical levels to tell the story. There simply aren’t enough people in Detroit to make a different (not enough taxes to support the infrastructure)and although the grass roots stuff described here helps it’s a massive problem. Think of a place the size of a large UK city thats lying derelict. Until it starts to repopulate or get raised the situation won’t change.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Detroit – not as failed as you might think!’ is closed to new replies.