Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • 'Designer Watches' are they worth it?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

auctions, boot sales & autojumbles.

What on god’s green earth is an autojumble.

FFS.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

look at http://www.timefactors.com for good value watches… Also look at Sinn.

Tag are overpriced – it is what the company stands for – when they took over Audiolab they put new front panels on and hiked the prices up.

If you get a mechanical watch be prepared for servicing costs and loss of accuracy.

Swatch own a large chunk of the watch market, many brands and most movement makers.

A sieko divers watch would be a good compromise, or an omega quartz seamaster. Or if you want mechanical an omega speedmaster is worth a look.

soobalias
    Free Member

wearing a watch causes stress and depression.

cpon
    Free Member

Designer watches from the big fashion brands are often made in generic chinese factories, they use cheap quartz movements and are fairly low quality, they sell via looks and brand association rather than quality. The resale value of a watch in this sector is close to zero and can cost hundreds of £.

Mechanical watches from famous watch brands are manufactured to a higher standard and are usually made in switzerland or japan can cost from anywhere from a hundreds to thousands. They’re serviceable and when looked after will outlive their owners so can be passed to the next generation. These watches may also rise in value over time unlike their cheaper fashion counter parts.

Both types of watches will do the job of telling the time and looking nice perfectly well so it comes down to you what you want out of a watch.

joolsburger
    Free Member

To answer the question no they are not this is true of the branded craap like gucci and stuff like IWC Bolex etc too.

In material terms they are not
    In functional terms they are not
    from any prespective they are simply not worth the money even the niche makers of ltd editions would have a job selling them on actual value..

I have several and I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I just wanted a watch other people didn’t have vanity or something I suppose

I had the cash spare and bought a stupidly expensive watch…what? It’s waterproof to 3000M which I reckon will come in dead handy at some point!

damo2576
    Free Member

Vintage Rolex Milgaus would do for me. I make do with an Oris though.

Watches are really a mans only jewellery, I’d spend as much as I could afford no problem.

Either have a proper watch (Rolex, Breitling, Oris etc etc) or a cheapy. Don’t do the inbetween D&G junk.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Owning a preimum brand watch has drawbacks. Lots of people will tell you that thier Seiko is better and tell you facts about how better it is or how much deeper they can dive. Also people will tell you what a good fake it is and how to the untrained eye it would be convincing but that they are experts and can’t detect the subtle differences, but don’t worry they won’t tell anyone your secrets safe. I’m a simple soul, i don’t want a flash car, nor a flash house, I don’t want the best of everything, but I do like watches. I like the idea of a small piece of engineering and hertiage in a watch.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Damo +1 on the milgaus

D4declivity
    Free Member

derek_starship, An autojumble’s a glorified boot sale for middle aged blokes with beards and anoraks to hunt through boxes of filthy old car parts and where often other nerdy stuff like watches or bikes are sold.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

You can buy a decent fake for a just over tenner. More cash on bikes then. Do the maths.

greyman
    Free Member

‘kin hell

I wear a cheapo Nautica when getting wet, a Seiko sports chromometer thingy on the bike, snow, rock etc, a Pequignet for work (looking at it now to check the spelling – LOL)and I’ve a Jaeger le Coultre for “going out” purposes.

Sad or what d’ya think ?

got a few bikes too .. (trying to save face, no pun intended)

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think the “tell the time” element of a watch is less important these days given that most people carry a mobile phone everywhere they go,

Indeed. My rather old mobile has the time in big numbers as its ‘screensaver’ but it seems to gain about 7 minutes a month! 😕

Oh and ‘atomic time’ is to do with the utterly accurate rate of decay of some radioctive particles or something isn’t it? So you base you super-accurate clock on the decay of some nasty radioactive agents. I don’t think that to benefit from this you actually need to have them on your wrist though. 😯

finbar
    Free Member

I recently bought a fairly expensive – by my standards at least – Casio Edifice Gold label watch (i’m a sucker for bling). Last month i accidentally belted it on a rock and chipped the face. Sapphire glass too.

Same thing always happends when i buy expensive sunglasses too. I should really stop bothering.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I buy the most expensive watch I can afford, purely so I can calibrate my Gadgetia Super Pro espresso machine more accurately – trust me, the several thousands of pounds I’ve invested in both are more than compensated for by the exquisite Creme Caramel Frapuccinos I produce. The other essential ingredient is soncically perfect hi-fi equipment blasting out ‘Money For Nothing’ by Dire Straits. Yes, people will argue that all those items are an extravagance, but what do they know? I buy Superstar sintered pads to balance the branding scales.

Ha ha! 😆 Brilliant!

The function of a watch is to tell the time, and maybe the date and act as a stopwatch sometimes. Beyond that, they are jewellery. Watches are available from £1.99 to whatever. Just have a look around, and buy the one you like the most, which you can afford. Simple.

‘Designer brand’ watches are very tacky imo, but then I think so are flashy Rolexes and the like. ‘Designer’ ones are no different to ‘sports’ brands ones like Animal and that though; cheap workings inside flashy branded cases. Most stuff is overpriced anyway.

Question you have to ask yourself (punk), is; do you want a watch purely to tell the time, as a piece of jewellery, or an indication of your economic status?

My girlfriends mum treated me to a Rolex datejust

Does she have any other (unattached) daughters? 🙂

D4declivity
    Free Member

The posh makes are overpriced too. If you’re not bothered about the name on the dial there are plenty of high quality makes that use the ETA2824 automatic movement a la Omega…

How do folk KNOW this or that Sunn watches are good value? Been in the industry or something…or just read it in magazines/forums?

Good question. I’ve been into watches a long time so it’s part experience, part reputation, part perceived wisdom. I couldn’t tell you exactly where I’ve heard that those makes are OK but I’m sure I have. Sinn seem good value compared with other watches using the same movement, especially compared with Bell & Ross, whose watches are made by Sinn and for their ‘reputation’ for quality. Some of that quality is demonstrable. Depth ratings to 1000m or temperature ratings from -45 to +80 centigrade for example, even if it is completly pointless for wearing down the pub.
    Today I’m wearing a worthless ‘Romex’ made to promote Rome snowboards. It’s fallen apart a couple of times but I like it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A decent fake for a tenner!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh and ‘atomic time’ is to do with the utterly accurate rate of decay of some radioctive particles or something isn’t it? So you base you super-accurate clock on the decay of some nasty radioactive agents. I don’t think that to benefit from this you actually need to have them on your wrist though

Mine receives a signal sent 6 times a night and calibrates itself. Loads of watches do the same and most of them are pretty inexpensive. I use my watch to set all other clocks/watches/bike computers in the house/car. I can’t see any expensive watch being more accurate than that.

D4declivity
    Free Member

A decent fake for a tenner!!

Where can you get a decent fake for a tenner? The face is always in wonky or the hands don’t line up on the hour or the chrome wears off the case and the brass underneath turns your wrist green. Never less than £15 either.
    I’d happily wear fakes if they were a bit better.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Spend as much as you can afford – think of all the riveting conversations you have to to look forward to.
    “have you got the right time?”
    “it’s 10:24:37, no, wait, it’s 10:24:52, no, hold on it’s..”

amazing. think of all the trains you’re not going to miss because you turned up .00025s late – ah bollox, missed it, maybe you shoudn’t have wasted that .35s checking the time to make sure you weren’t late.

life’s too short to worry about time – then again, you need a decent watch to know how much you should be worrying

loddrik
    Free Member

D4declivity, had a few U1s and got a U2 at the moment. Only two uk dealers for Sinn – Chronomaster and Jura Watches. TZ UK is a good place to pick up a used one. U1 is a definite future classic, or should that be ‘klassic’…

If I was spending a few hundred quid or so I’d get a Seiko SBBN007 ‘Tuna’ without question.

cpon
    Free Member

BluePalomino – Member
    You can buy a decent fake for a just over tenner. More cash on bikes then. Do the maths.

You can by a shite fake for a tenner, excluding the price of flights to NYC’s Canal St to pick one up.

Meanwhile on the watch forums the debate continues: “Should I spend thousands on a push bike?”
    A: No, you can get a decent Full Suss from Tesco for £59.00, replace the stickers with eBay copies, Santa Cruz Blur for the frame, Fox for the forks and Hope for the hubs. It’ll do the same thing and most people will never know the difference. More cash for watches then”

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Dunno D4devlivity, blue palamino said you can get them. I’d sooner a simular priced highstreet watch over a fake, anyone seen those MR2’s that are chavved up to look like Ferarri F355’s?

D4declivity
    Free Member

If I was spending a few hundred quid or so I’d get a Seiko SBBN007 ‘Tuna’ without question.

I’d suggest you try one on. I’ve got a Frankenmonster and it’s so big its uncomfortable for me.
    Thanks for the TZ UK tip I’ll look out for some used ones and see what the prices are like.

woody74

I have an Omega Seamaster and a Panerai which I am very happy with but I have to say that premium watches are a bit of a con. When I was buying the Panerai earlier this year and searching around I found out from a number of jewellers that the mechanisms for watches such as Omega, TAG, Panerai and nearly every other make are all made in a couple of factories in Switzerland and are not made by the aforementioned brands. I was actually quite gutted about his as I always though that by buying an Omega you are getting all their knowledge and craftsmanship.

To be honest a £30 Swatch watch is probably just as reliable as a Omega and doesn’t need a service every few years but once you have a premium watch there is a funny type of addiction that overtakes you. You also become a real watch snob!

greyman
    Free Member

back to the OP then ,I guess the answer is “no, they’re not worth it”

as others have said above, you wouldn’t buy a D&G branded bike would you ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, you can get a decent Full Suss from Tesco for £59.00

Not the same thing at all, since a Tesco special won’t to the same job as a decent bike at all – it’ll be far worse to ride and will break. Cheap watches do the exact same thing as expensive ones.

A better analogy would be comparing a Specialized Pitch Pro with a gold-plated diamond encrusted Specialized Pitro Pro. If anyone turned up on the trails with one of those they’d get laughed at.

derek_starship
    Free Member

derek_starship, An autojumble’s a glorified boot sale for middle aged blokes with beards and anoraks to hunt through boxes of filthy old car parts and where often other nerdy stuff like watches or bikes are sold.

Dogging then?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Swatch group own Omega among other brands. You won’t find the same mechanics in a £30 swatch. I love the look of the Panerai range

derek_starship
    Free Member

I have to admit to being a bit of a watch (s)nob. I have a conservative collection of Omegas – no really expensive ones – the dearest was my Seamaster 150 at £1k. Chanel, Gucci, DKNY et al are fashion houses and have nothing to do with watch making. IMHO, those who buy a pricey watch from one of these “suppliers” is a competent fool.

I have just added another watch to my collection. It’s a bit of a tangential choice but I like it:

And for the record – Brabantia make the best breadbins. Karl Lagerfeld would be shit at them.

D4declivity
    Free Member

Dogging then?

So I hear. There’s nothing else for the traders to do when the punters have gone home.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Either get a £100 quid watch you like, or spend some money on a decent (well known) brand IMHO. The middle ground is a dangerous place.

If you buy a niche one like the Sinn etc. mentioned above you’ll just end up trying to bore people that it’s the same internals as a Omega, blah, blah blah, blah blah.

In car terms, it’s like buying a Nissan GT-R. Yes, technically it maybe be a better spec than a 911, carbide ceramic titanium cupholders, 15000bhp, 8 turbos etc. but in the end of the day a) that girl you’re trying to impress will be bored witless and b) it’s still got a Nissan badge on it.

If you have to explain something it’s not worth it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Some of us don’t need others to know how much we paid for a watch though. Unless you buy a rolex, most premium brands are made of 316 steel which IMO is just too soft and dents too easily. I love sinn because the technology makes it a far more durable watch. Most of the watch buying public have no idea who Sinn are, I am in no hurry for that to change. If that’s what’s important to you then a breitling or panerai would be suitably overpriced and flashy for your needs (at least panerai now have an in house movement which is more than can be said for the low grade ETAs breitling charge a fortune for…).

meesterbond

Breitling are now selling watches with a manufacture movement in the new Chronomats, although they do command a slight premium over their usual blingy offerings… about £3k extra if I remember correctly.

They are still selling ETA based watches for a lot of money as well though.

duckman

2nd for timefactors. I think it is a bit funny,a load of people who would NEVER buy something just cos it said Chris King on it debating whether expensive watches are a waste of money.To the OP If it is a diver you want,google Ocean7 and Helson,both up and coming watchmakers.I have an Ocean7 LM and it is as good as my Seamaster (plus o7 are not the evil empireof atchmakers,unlike Omega)

cynic-al
    Free Member

.I have an Ocean7 LM and it is as good as my Seamaster

“Good” in what way – both tell the time properly?

duckman

Err no,in terms of the movement used within,finishing quality, Lume etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Err no,in terms of the movement used within,finishing quality, Lume etc.

As I asked previously, how can you know about that?

joolsburger
    Free Member

The watch I’m wearing today has a see through case and I must say all the gubbins in there looks very nice, all engraved and whatnot, ticking away doing whatever it does.

There is something about a mechanical device assembled by hand, engraved and hopefully in someway having a human element in it’s construction that I like and am happy to pay for. The guy that made mine is on the end of the phone if required, builds the cases and so on from scratch and does all the engraving and regulation himself. It’s worth it to me, also mine was made to my spec, customised if you like, there are no others like it it’s one of a kind from a run of 200, in a world where you can buy anything if you have a few quid I have something unique, stupid and sad I know but there it is.

I have a unique bike too and I’m sure we can all identify with that or we’d all be on specialized (I like specialized)..

Sometimes it just about not being in the herd, although I fully accept I’m in the herd of idiots who buy expensive watches!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Cynical-al I expect you can tell the quality of the said watch. If you consider it value is down to your own agenda and views, but the build quality between a premium watch and a highstreet one is evident. Why do people expect you to have to justify your watch?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘'Designer Watches' are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.