Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Descent VFM Singlespeed Chainrings?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking at CRC etc, decent (E-13/MRP/Salsa/Surly etc) singlespeed/1×9 chainrings are all £30 upwards which seems a little pricey. Are there any cheaper alternatives around?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm currently using a cheapo FSA ring I got for £12.99 at my LBS. Replaced the cheapo one that had lasted me two years. I think the Surly stainless steel ones would last longer, but I wouldn't have thought expensive alloy ones last all that much longer than the cheapo ones to justify the cost really.

firestarter
    Free Member

got a not used much salsa one for 20 quid if you want dave 😉

messiah
    Free Member

BETD/Goldtec DH Chainrings were £15 + postage when I last looked.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What size Mick?

Ah, BETD. I knew I'd seen some cheap(ish) ones somewhere. I'll have a gander!

firestarter
    Free Member

its 104bcd 4 arm std shimano 32t mate

warpcow
    Free Member

I've had a couple of Blackspire ones that were good. You can usually get them for about £20 on CRC. Otherwise, I'm using one of the FSA ones mentioned above just now. It seems to be wearing a little faster than others, but it only cost about £12. If you factor in that Surly ones are reversible, as well as being harder-wearing, they are worth the money. It's worth considering a bash-guard though. They don't like rocks and logs, but you can bend them back into shape.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Already running a bash. Will be in touch Mick. Brand spankers ones on BETD are £15 so might get one of those…

Rickos
    Free Member

Middleburn rings but without the slickshift machining are around £20 or so depending if you want the hardcoat or not.

funkynick

Well, in VFM terms I'd say the Surly chainring is probably the best, as while it might be about £30, it is made of stainless and they seem to last forever!

I've got one on my SS and it's been running on there for about 4 years now with only slight signs of some wear…

I'd say that's pretty good value for money to me!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

True. Plus stainless steel…. mmmmm, shiney shiney.

firestarter
    Free Member

surly are great til they bend , ive a surly bike covered in surly bits but not a surly chainring. cogs work well tho

leggyblonde
    Free Member

surly ones bend if a chainring bolt loosens, or if you're nice and lend someone a bolt 😡

alloy ones don't have that problem

darrenm
    Free Member

BETD are out of stock of 32T

simon1975

I'd still get Surly again, even after this:

I just hammered it back into shape 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

that's not bent simon!

angryratio
    Free Member

Chainrings should come with a grr-manly rating.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Descent VFM Singlespeed Chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.