Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Derby Rims
  • the_lecht_rocks

Not long now, 29″ on order here…..

Anyone already riding them, thoughts ?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, i’ve just just built some on to some DT Swiss 240 hubs.

Took a bit longer than expected, as I used the DT Swiss spoke calculator, and it was miles out. I had to switch all the 290 spokes to 284’s.

Popped some tyres on them. I’m running a Minion 2.5 DHF on the front – it was a big tyre before. Now its so big it barely fits under a Marsh Guard on some 160mm Pikes. It’s a monster. I will probably dswap it out for a 2.3 version when they come available.

Not ridden them yet – i’ll save it for the weekend. Once I had the right length spokes they built up nice & easily 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

Light bike are sposed to be knocking out some 35mm rims as of end of Nov. May well give em a try.

They’re hookless too but with larger 589 erd. Oh and circa 420g in weight. Be intersting to compare the two!.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Mine have just arrived. Drool. All i’ve read on the mtbr forum etc has been good and derby has been ace to deal with – will do a write up as soon as they’re rolling!

toons
    Free Member

Been using mine for a month and no problems so far.

The Hans Dampf on the front looks massive!

the_lecht_rocks

toons – any pics available as my HD is going on the front on mine… 29″ 35mm’s..

toons
    Free Member

i’ll take some tomorrow.

the_lecht_rocks

Toons any pics ?

toons
    Free Member

29″ hans dampf on a derby rim v 26″ 2.2 rubber queen on a flow ex

the_lecht_rocks

thanks – how are you finding spoke tension as the rims are old style deep ?

toons
    Free Member

old style deep?

The nipples come through the rims.

philbert31
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest as I’m seriously thinking about a set of these for the new build…

the_lecht_rocks

should get mine next week, can’t wait.

hoping to notice some increase in directness and stiffness – toons, are you impressed so far Sir ?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have previously commented in the past about no ‘need’ for this sort of wheel in a 26″ capacity, because it makes a wheel too stiff.

Having recently gone to a 29″, and been amazed how floppy even a big rimmed wheel is, I can see the merits in this sort of application.

They are noticably stiffer than my other wheelset, probably comparable to a decent stiff alloy 26″ wheel now. Not as harsh as 26″ carbon wheel though, which is nice 🙂

So far so good. Front tyre is still way too big though.

DT78
    Free Member

I nearly went for these, ended up with light bicycle, I thought the 3mm difference would be less noticeable to me than losing the extra £200 and possible tax. They do look brilliant though

the_lecht_rocks

hob nob, please tell me more ?

i’m putting hans dampf 2.35 front nob nic 2.25 rear…. thoughts ????

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve not got any experience of Schwalbe on them, I run a Minion 2.5 on the front & a Minion DHR2 2.3 on the back.

The 2.5 was big on my old rims, now it’s more like an old 2.7 – in fact, it’s so big as I mentioned before – it barely fits under a Marsh Guard on a new RS Pike. It’s too big IMO. I’ll drop it down to one of the new 2.3’s when them come available.

Anything else, just ask.

the_lecht_rocks

thanks – are they suitably direct, stiff and track without flex ? do you notice much performance advantage ? lighter weigh ? spose thoughts in general mukka ! 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

DT78 is that the 27mm hookless rims, how’d they build up and ride?.

It is interesting to see how all this goes. In theory narrower (lighter) tyres could be run and this may even lead to a resurgence of 2.1″‘s. Wonder if treads might be redesigned too to account for the flatter contact patch.

I really fancy the light-bicycle 35mm due shortly but already I can see it ruling out a couple of 29er full sussers I had in mind. Devinci Atlas and Whyte T129 namely, not if I want to run 2.3″ tyres anyway. What’s everyone else looking at running?

the_lecht_rocks

gee76, great poinbt re narrower tyres, never thought of that…………will poss select some NN 2.25 from bike discount or similar….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

thanks – are they suitably direct, stiff and track without flex ? do you notice much performance advantage ? lighter weigh ? spose thoughts in general mukka !

My build came in at 1593g, so I saved a couple of hundred grammes over the Roval wheelset on my Enduro. The reason for building them wasn’t for weight saving though, I found the other wheelset really quite flexy when pushing on. Tried a set of Hope Hoops/Flow EX which was better, but came in at nearly 2kg, which was too much for me.

Thoughts are as above really, feel like a stiff 26″ alloy wheel, which is what I wanted.

The standard wheels (and the gash shock) were the only issues I had with the Enduro 29. Now I can ride it without feeling the the tyre buzzing the stays mid corner – it just grips and goes instead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

$300 + shipping + tax per rim?

I’m in the wrong job!

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye lots of folk scoff at the lack of weight savings but the added stiffness is the real bonus.

The price is debateable, though the light bicycle rims are a bit less at $165 plus post, duty, etc!.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Beyond perceived stiffness, any measurable benefit?

the_lecht_rocks

I paid £400 or so for the rims, not too bad for the performance gains I suppose..

DT78
    Free Member

Gee, yep not built yet waiting for them to arrive. Theyve been shipped so a week or so. They are for my xc race bike so i reckon i wont miss the extra width as i normally run 2.1s. I’ll start a build thread when they arrive. Bikes xmas pressie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What performance gains?

Are the pros using them?

DT78
    Free Member

There is a huge thread on mtbr. Basically stiffness will be greater per gram than alloy.

Earlier in the year i test rode the top spec whyte 29c and was blown away by the way it descended and went round berms. But cant afford to buy the branded wheels

Also the extra width changed the tyre profile and contact patch.

Northwind

Does look like it might take the roundness off the hans dampfs, good news that… Do wonder how that’ll work out with tyres that already have a good edge though, will they get such a benefit from squaring up…

the_lecht_rocks

cynic-al – Member

What performance gains?

Are the pros using them?

added stiffness, reduced weight, mahoosive internal width allowing much better correct tyre profiling.

pro’s riding them, who cares ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If pros ride them then there’s at least a chance they have ACTUAL benefits, moreso if not under sponsorship.

I must try them.

toons
    Free Member

@the_lecht_rocks happy so far; it’s so much better than the flow ex it replaced.

the_lecht_rocks

my Derby Rims are a replacement for Arch EX…..

Gee76
    Free Member

Just got a mail this Morning from “Nancy” at light bicycle and looks like their 35mm rims are ready for ordering now!

toons
    Free Member

Are the LB 35mm?

I can only find info on the 27mm ones
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/hook-less-control-carbon-29er-rims-is-ready.html#.UpSodsSICM4

EDIT:
    Ah just read the comments in that url

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye 35 outside. 30mm inside, 589 erd. There’s a profile on mtbr forum I think.

the_lecht_rocks

Should get mine this week !

Gee76
    Free Member

TLR,did you get the dreaded letter from customs yet?. What’s the damage?.

the_lecht_rocks

Not much, gravity sports have it covered afaik.

the_lecht_rocks

Get my wheels on Friday, can not wait ! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Derby Rims’ is closed to new replies.