Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Delivery company delivered parcel to wrong address
  • logical
    Free Member

I ordered a Pc online earlier in the week. Been delivered to a neighbours house. But the neighbours are in the house and refusing to answer the door. I went round and knocked I heard someone say shall I answer the door and got a reply of **** off!!
    What can I do?

xiphon
    Free Member

Police?

They’ve got stolen property, innit

jota180
    Free Member

Take it up with the place you bought it from, it’s their job to sort it out

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What can I do?

Shrug it off and troll on a mtb forum ?

patriotpro
    Free Member

As jota said

kendo954
    Free Member

nice neighbours you have!

logical
    Free Member

They are the only problem neighbours we have 🙁

Just tried again and no answer at all.

xiphon
    Free Member

A polite call to the non-emergency number, and they may send round some local bobbies “for a quick chat” about the PC they are keeping.

patriotpro
    Free Member

throw a stink bomb in

Northwind

Seller’s problem surely?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’d be ringing the company I bought it from.

Unless you put the wrong address!!!

geoffj

Should have got a Mac – UPS don’t make mistakes like that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I really think you need to presevere with the neighbours, despite the fact that they sound like lovely people.
    If you keep ringing the bell long enough Im sure they will answer the door eventually. Just be sickly nice and pleasantry personified when they do eventually come growling to the door.
    If you don’t get any joy, back to the supplier. Dont get the old bill involved as it will just make your life hell by the sound of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

You have evidence of witholding stuff that’s not theirs. That’s worth a call to plod.

Does signing for a parcel that’s not yours imply a contract to hand it over later?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Shit through their letterbox and buy a Mac.

martinhutch

Stand outside, knock on the door, and shout ‘Pizza delivery!’. Should get that door opened sharpish.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stand outside, knock on the door, and shout ‘Pizza delivery!’.

With a fist-sized hole cut in a pizza box to punch them in the face through.

poly
    Free Member

Police?

They’ve got stolen property, innit mmm… I’m not sure the police are going to want to get involved in that one! I’d take some convincing that it is ‘stolen property’* if they took it in and then simply didn’t answer the door. I imagine you will have a problem getting the telephone operator to consider this warrants police involvement. If you can show you have tried on several (at least three occasions) to get the goods, and that each time there was an adult in the house who refused to hand over the goods or answer the door then it might be worth asking them for advice.

(* in Scotland this may be Reset, but only if there is intent which is hard to show from someone not answering the door once – perhaps one of the people was standing bollock naked behind the door at the time. I don’t believe the equivalent exists in england – and Handling Stolen Goods requires them to have been the subject of theft).

The company who supplied it will not be that bothered as they have a signature, and your money – it will be your job to prove it didn’t reach you and you couldn’t get it from the neighbour. If you are ‘lucky’ they will pass it on to the courier company – who will, like all such companies be disinterested.

Good luck.

jota180
    Free Member

The company who supplied it will not be that bothered as they have a signature, and your money – it will be your job to prove it didn’t reach you and you couldn’t get it from the neighbour.

If it came to that I would simply tell the credit card company to sort it

maccruiskeen

as has been said above its the senders responsibility to make sure it gets to you. At least give them a chance to sort the situation before you try anything else. They may make a total fist of it – but they might actually surprise you as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Handling Stolen Goods requires them to have been the subject of theft

I wouldn’t have thought that it would be hard to define what happened here as theft.

IF that is you have proof beyond the delivery company’s word that it was actually AT their address.

maccruiskeen

Handling Stolen Goods requires them to have been the subject of theft

Someone I know using an old shopping trolley they’d found was informed of the notion of “theft by finding” by some plod. Finding and keeping something that you know belongs to someone else, rather than taking something, would seem to be theft by that definition.

Drac

The company is contracted to deliver the parcel to you, not your neighbour unless you added a note saying to leave it with a neighbour, the courier has a contract with the seller to deliver to you. The parcel wasn’t delivered to you speak to the company you ordered it from explaining the issue. And yes it’s theft they have something that does not belong to them and are not handing it over to the rightful owner.

asic definition of theft.

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

logical
    Free Member

Right eventually got hold of the computer after much arguing with delivery company. The driver delivered to a completely different address. So a lot of apologies to neighbour as well this morning. Opened parcel and booted pc to find not at all what was ordered. Seller now wants me to post back at my expense. If it’s their fault should they not cover costs?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, check twice though. Did you use a credit card? Probably suggest shopping elsewhere

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Right eventually got hold of the computer after much arguing with delivery company.

Gosh, that was easy after all. But wait, you’ve got another problem now ! Oh dear 😐

samuri
    Free Member

Did you shit through your neighbours letter box?

I thought that was the best advice on this thread.

Drac

Panic over. Oh wait. PANIC!

Yeah they should arrange for the return at their expense.

retro83
    Free Member

Seller now wants me to post back at my expense. If it’s their fault should they not cover costs?

Shit in the box, then send it back.

thepurist

Seller now wants me to post back at my expense. If it’s their fault should they not cover costs?

Para 3.57 of the Distance Selling Regs says they pay if the goods do not comply with the contract, ie. aren’t what you ordered.

Cougar

they pay if the goods do not comply with the contract,

… unless they have a contract saying otherwise which was available for you to read before you made the purchase.

poly
    Free Member

To prove theft by finding (in the now hypothetical case of a neighbour not handing over goods) you would need to convince the court that there was both a crime and intent. I doubt many courts would see it as such based simply on the fact that they didn’t answer the door on one occassion. Indeed:

The driver delivered to a completely different address. So a lot of apologies to neighbour as well this morning.

Suggests that a perfectly “innocent” or reasonable explanation exists. Perhaps as I suggested earlier the neighbour was inappropriately dressed, perhaps they thought the OP was from the bailiffs, perhaps the OP is a bit of an idiot and randomly accuses them of things they haven’t done, perhaps they are children/teenagers who have been told not to answer the door when their parents are out…

…still would have been interesting to see how the police handled it. A visit to the neighbours door, then they (honestly) deny everything. Do they try to get a warrant and search the house? All sounds like a great way of building a relationship with the neighbour who doesn’t like you! Although I suspect the answer would have been come back when you can prove their has been a crime.

Jamie
    Free Member

Para 3.57 of the Distance Selling Regs says they pay if the goods do not comply with the contract, ie. aren’t what you ordered.

Para 3.55 seems to apply as well.

jota180
    Free Member

… unless they have a contract saying otherwise which was available for you to read before you made the purchase.

I didn’t think they could opt out of the DSR or any part of it?

scaredypants

I had no idea about the sitting in the box aspect

Is there any chance of the original seller rejecting my poo? – I’d hate to have to restock

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOVL!!! Brilliant.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I had a parcel go to the wrong address the other day.. The driver put in his hand held computer that I had signed for it. Had a hell of a job explaining to the courier that I hadnt actually had any delivery, then going around local businesses trying to track it down.. Found it in the end.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So what’s the latest ? Has the seller agreed to pay the postage ? Has it got lost in the post ? Will you ever get the PC you want ? What’s happening ???

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Delivery company delivered parcel to wrong address’ is closed to new replies.