Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Deep crust pizza. Genuine decent grub, or lazy food prep and marketing genius?
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyone else a fan of egg in the middle? Seems particularly good with some kind of ham. Although it does start feeling a bit like a bacon & egg roll with ketchup on…

midlifecrashes

Chicago style is lovely too. Weird, but lovely.

edhornby

All this pizza pie stuff is gross. Pizzaolo is the win, cook the base on its own, slice and load the filling then put the ‘lid’ back on. Mmmm , and sometimes they do it with nutella just for the kids of course 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

on all of my numerous visits to italy or italian restaurants* i have never been served a pizza that could be considered thick crust.

vis-a-vis… thick crust aint proper.

* been to Pizza Hut when drunk. never since.
    my mum and sister dragged me along to Pizza Express. i have vowed never to go again. why support a shitty pre-packaged chain rather than an independent that at least tries to do it right with a hint of passion?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Chicago style is lovely too. Weird, but lovely.

I DONT GIVE A **** WHAT IT TASTES LIKE< IT AiNT PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I prefer my crust stuffed with mini cheeseburgers

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Sorry but that looks like blackened cheesy toenails

hammyuk
    Free Member

Since when does Wikipedia be allowed as the “de-facto” definition?
    99% of it is so factually incorrect it could be used by Jim Davidson as a script 🙄
    It’s banned by every college and university as a reference for study it’s that bad.

“Pizza” is a starter or a 1st course, an anti-pasti- nothing more. Think a giant hot biscuit.
    2-3 toppings is the limit and its rolled as thin as possible to cook in about 60-90s.

Cougar

Since when does Wikipedia be allowed as the “de-facto” definition?
    99% of it is so factually incorrect it could be used by Jim Davidson as a script

It’s more factually correct than your post.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Go on then Cougar……

jimdubleyou

99% of it is so factually incorrec

I’ve probably told you 17 billion times, don’t exaggerate.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I prefer my crust stuffed with mini cheeseburgers

That’s so wrong that words cannot communicate effectively the wrongness.

dmorts

Didn’t deep crust evolve due to the lack of suitable pizza ovens available in Italian immigrants to the US?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

“Pizza” is a starter or a 1st course, an anti-pasti- nothing more.

I take it you got that from Wikipedia?

And since we’re posting photos, this is from di Matteo, one of Naples’ finest pizzerias and pretty much defines what pizza should be

seems pretty popular too

Cougar

Go on then Cougar……

Can you actually find me an example of something that’s wrong on Wikipedia right now? Should be easy, right? Just pick 100 pages at random and only one of them will have correct information.

It’s a tedious and lazy generalisation. Wikipedia isn’t perfect, and there are inaccuracies of course. But it’s certainly not 99%; I’ll wager it’s closer to the other 1%. I have found mistakes on Wikipedia in the past but I doubt I could trivially find something wrong on demand (and if I did I’d correct it).

hammyuk
    Free Member

That’s the point Cougar – YOU can correct it which is why it’s banned as a resource now.

As for the info – no I didn’t get it from Wikipedia BBSB. I’ve been fortunate to have spent a large amount of time in Naples, Perugia and also worked with an Italian family from the region for over 8yrs who made a point of vehemently berating anyone who even attempted to call anything but a hand pulled, almost paper thin base with a handful of topping. Literally what you could pick up and sprinkle on one.
    Deep pan (whilst tasty) and “pie” is to pizza what those thing Hora likes are to a real pie here.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

That’s my point. There is Italian Pizza and American pizza. They are not the same, not by any stretch of the imagination, but they are still pizza. One is thin and crispy, one is much thicker.

ALL cheap, mass produced pizza is rubbish. Thin crust or thick crust, it should be fresh and hand made. Proper pizza pie is fantastic, don’t knock it before you’ve tried it. Yes, it’s thick and gooey and full of fat and salt, that ‘s the point. Live a little, and get over yourself in the process.

It’s not like

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve been fortunate to have spent a large amount of time in Naples,

..and yet you think pizza is a starter or antipasto

Cougar

That’s the point Cougar – YOU can correct it which is why it’s banned as a resource now.

True(*), but that’s not what you said, and therefore not what I disagreeing with. There’s a world of difference between “99% of it is so factually incorrect … It’s banned by every college and university as a reference for study it’s that bad” and “it’s banned because it’s world-editable.”

(* – or at least, I’m taking your word for it that it’s true, I’ve no idea whether it’s banned or not.)

jimdubleyou

I’ve no idea whether it’s banned or not.

IME*, citing it is frowned upon but it’s a good place to get a starter on a new topic.

*Mrs Dubs occasionally marks papers for the local uni.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ex did 2 PHD’s and both daughters are now on GCSE/A exams/coursework.
    Can’t be referenced, cited or any other form of use because it cannot be seen to be a “fixed source”.
    Open editing, etc means its information has been shown to be incorrect.
    Ex used it as a discussion point to prove the information was wrong on her psychology masters dissertation and the argument of the source against published works in peer groups.
    Any citing of it as a reference or source is an immediate strike through of that question and a zero mark.

As for the original style of pizza and it being a starter/anti that’s exactly what it was told to me as. By Italians so I’d sooner take their word for it than the STW experts.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Whilst you lot carry in arguing i will show you some Swedish pizza. Sick and wrong. Enjoy!

Chicken, banana, pineapple, curry powder and peanuts

Beef slices and bernaise sauce

mogrim

Any argument about the authenticity or otherwise of Italian food is pretty stupid – pizza uses tomatoes (where did they come from again?), pasta comes from China, etc. They only started adding cheese to pizza a bit over 100 years ago…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Everything is ‘authentic’, even pizza vs pie banter 😉

Now, for a deep-fried Cornish Breakfast Pastie…

mogrim

a deep-fried Cornish Breakfast Pastie…

God, that’s sounds fantastic. Hungry now 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any argument about the authenticity or otherwise of Italian food is pretty stupid – pizza uses tomatoes (where did they come from again?), pasta comes from China, etc. They only started adding cheese to pizza a bit over 100 years ago…

FTFY.

For the record, deep pan pizza is just dreadful.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Deep crust pizza. Genuine decent grub, or lazy food prep and marketing genius?’ is closed to new replies.