Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Decent pump which 'clamps' rather than screws
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I was sold a Topeak Rocket Race Master Blaster

It’s a small one which need screwing onto the valve

What has happened – 4 times now – is when it is unscrewed the inner valve comes out too – very annoying

So, I’m after a clamp type to get around this

What should I get??

Cheers

Slogo
    Free Member

Make sure the valve cores are tights using the right tool to do them up. Grease the pump threads.

job done.

ton

topeak road morph
    zefal hpx

both capable of 120psi

spooky_b329

I’ve just got that pump and love it, however, use some needle nose pliers to check the cores are done up properly tight.

Scapegoat

M:part evo

bonesetter
    Free Member

I use the plastic tool to tighten up the core. It goes as tight as to make the whole valve turn – it stays put just fine under everything except when that pump is attached

I really dont want another screaming/swearing moment

I like the look of the road morph – it’s like a mini track pump

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve had this with a Lezyne pump, and it’s an absolute PITA when it happens out on a ride and you don’t have something suitable to tighten the valve core up with. Repeatedly inflating the same tyre with a mini pump is not fun.

Despite this, I have another, newer Lezyne mini pump which has a tiny button to release the pressure in the hose. I assume that this is to address this problem by taking the pressure off the threads before you unscrew it.

PePPeR

I’ve used a road morph for years, no other pump gets asked to be used as much as this one!

Northwind

M:Part or Truflo Evolution (same pump). The new version has a screw-on end but it’s well designed so doesn’t undo valves ime, unlike ****ing lezyne. Better’n a Mountain Morph and cheaper.

drofluf
    Free Member

Get a Park Tool VC-1 to fit the valve core and use your existing pump?

Del

i use road and mountain morph. road morph does just as good a job with mtb tyres, it just takes more pumps, but is smaller and lighter.

D0NK

I’ve had this with a Lezyne pump,

Me too, I think the threads get a bit chewed and often ends up cross threaded going on, new hose sorts it (or using none removable core tubes). A get you home fix is to leave the hose on the valve, just unscrew the pump.

Don’t like the clamp ons, have broken several valve heads using them, didn’t used to have problems with the old frame pumps but with mini pumps I end up “waggling” them about too much as I frantically pump my way to completion inflation.

Del

Donk, the morphs have a hose, so that problem is eliminated, or at least much reduced.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think the issue is screwing the connector on too tight. You don’t need to wind it up until the thread stops to get a seal around the valve. Doing this compresses the rubber seal in the connector and gives it more than enough grip to hold on to the core.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You may have a point

I’ll try that

goodgrief
    Free Member

loctite when you’re fitting the valve core, that works really well!

also, I use a mountain morph

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Plumber’s tape on the valve inner. Solved.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Decent pump which 'clamps' rather than screws’ is closed to new replies.