Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Decathlon – what should I look for
  • hayes
    Free Member

Going near decathlon today, anything worth looking out for?

Will be taking a look at the mtb clothing as they’ve got some Jerseys on sale, maybe some tools or a work stand

Anyone seen any other bargains lately I should look for?

globalti
    Free Member

The clothing looks OK at first glance. Then you try it on and realise it doesn’t actually fit very well.

akira

Spare chain links always worthwhile from Decathlon.

lunge

Contrary to Globalti, I think the clothing is very good and fits me very well indeed, always worth trying it on though as you’re there.

In terms of what to look out for, the padded shorts, 700 and 520 series stuff is very good. The general accessories, gloves, socks, baselayers, etc. are also good. There own brand helmets are good too, £30 ish for a perfectly good commuter lid is cracking value.

Bar that, just have a wander and see what you can see, they’ve often got deals on in store that are not on the website. My view is that their own brand stuff is, with the odd exception, very, very good for the money, be that their B’Twin cycling stuff, the Quechua hiking gear or the Kalenji running gear. I can’t be trusted to visit very often as I tend to spend far too much when I do.

nickjb
    Free Member

The walking gear is good for general wearing. Not mega quality but very cheap. There’s usually some end of line stuff dotted around. Odd sizes but good prices. Good for little bike spares like chain links, headset spacers, tubes

jamiep
    Free Member

Clothing fits me fine too. As above, look for the 520 and 700 range (rather than the 500 range). Look in the ski/snowboard section too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Good for commuting tyres. Cloths fit me well but I’m not an odd shape. Bib shorts are good.

I love Decathlon but it the stores vary a lot. I always went to the Surrey Quays one and it has a good selection, poped into the Reading one and that was good too. Went to the Southampton branch about a month ago and if that had been my only experence of a Decathlon store I would say it was crap. Really poor stock selection, only their most basic range and then the branded stuff, non of the better quality Decathlon range.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

You need one of the btwin chain whips. So much better than the traditional version!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-id_8309913.html

z1ppy

Love the place, unluckily they moved our local store, so don’t get there very often now. One of my longest lasting bit of kits is a ‘softshell’ walking jacket I use during the cycling during the winter, no special breathable material but pit zips which trump that, and a complete unwillingness to die. Take your time & browse… don’t assume the cycling kit is all that worth checking out

thepodge
    Free Member

whatever you are looking for, you’ll come out with 50 quids worth of other stuff which by the time you come home you’ll have no idea why you bought it

MoreCashThanDash

Clothing great if it fits you. Basic short sleeved tops less than tenner, ideal for commuting and fast growing kids.

Helmets looked good yesterday, their basic glasses are great for £3.99, I have one of their cheap watches which seems bomb and waterproof.

Walking kit is decent quality and value. Their ski base layers are superb when they have them in, and cheaper than the cycling specific ones. Do get smelly though!

Just make sure you don’t wander out with a load of stuff you don’t really need. Decathlon is a sporty version of Costco, you save a fortune buying stuff that is a good deal but you don’t really need!

kimbers

some of the decathlon own brand stuff makes premium prices look silly

when i go back ill be getting some…
    9/10/11 speed joining links
    front fender/mudguards
    sweat resistant suncream

muddyground
    Free Member

Tyre levers – double up as spoons when camping. Mudguards are silly cheap.

I did find that for camping gear, sometimes – sleeping bags for instance – they can be expensive. Identical bags from a camping shop were half the price.

Northwind

globalti – Member

The clothing looks OK at first glance. Then you try it on and realise it doesn’t actually fit very well

People come in different shapes. I think their sizing is more skinny/european where a lot of bike stuff is cuddly/american, I often have to take size small kit despite being 5’10 but for decathlon most mediums work.

Matt24k
    Free Member

How about this for £3.69

I bought one in Italy last week and I’d be happy if I paid £20 for it.
    Linky

TheBrick
    Free Member

Women with sexy french acents, they frequently seem to have staff over from France whom I just listen to them talking.

ticsmon

I got a camelback from there years ago for almost half price. Not seen any in there for a bit though so they might not stock them anymore. But worth keeping an eye open

woodster

Accessories are good. Mini-tools, little tool bottles, bottle cages etc. Their hydration packs and bladders are very decent too.Some very decent bikes too.

Northwind

Powerlinks- the own branded ones are KMC, exactly the same as the much more expensive KMC branded ones.

phiiiiil

whatever you are looking for, you’ll come out with 50 quids worth of other stuff

This! I went in last week for just a water bottle, came out having spent just under £40. Now I can’t actually remember what else I ended up with. The water bottle is great, though… 🙂

mogrim

They usually have about 3 ranges for each activity – dirt cheap, cheap, and not very expensive. Avoid the dirt cheap stuff unless it’s just for gym use, it’s not very good. The more expensive cycling gear is pretty good, although you’ll probably need to go a size up compared to other shops.

It’s also great for kid’s stuff – disposable trainers and tracksuits that you won’t get too wound up about when your kid covers them with mud / rips a hole in them.

And as thepodge says, whatever you go in planning to buy you’ll end up far more than planned. If I want to spend less than €100 I need to go on the motorbike, and even then…

andysredmini
    Free Member

For me Decathlon have lost their way.
    I used to go and buy semi decent stuff for low prices or branded stuff for decent prices.
    They seem to now have not much branded stuff and their own products are not that cheap any more. I have had good and bad experiences with their own products including some fleeces going wide but short after washing. Some waterproof trousers that were never waterproof and trying some clothes on and wondering what odd shape person they would fit.
    I do like to go and have a browse but don’t buy much. I can usually find branded stuff for similar prices.
    Not that I’m saying all branded stuff is better. I just tend to stick with the brands I know produce quality products that fit well.

ads678

I went in there a couple of weeks a go for a couple of roll mats, spent £160 on a load of other random stuff ‘for our holiday’!! The micro fibre towels are good though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How about this for £3.69

+1

Although some of the cycling kit is a bit garish, the cheaper stuff is nice and understated. The bib shorts are great.

trying some clothes on and wondering what odd shape person they would fit.
    I do like to go and have a browse but don’t buy much. I can usually find branded stuff for similar prices.

As above, they are defiantly a more ‘idealised sporty average’ sort of size, i.e. a medium is going to fit someone 5ft10 and 70kg (average european male height and a BMI of 22). Not the creeping high street vanity sizes where a large isn’t needed until you hit a BMI of 30.

And the own brand stuff is pretty good, we’ve had everything from £30 sailing jackets which did everything my £250 Musto one did, to sleeping mats which were the same spec as anything branded but only slightly cheaper.

Only ever had a couple of duds, and they’ve just accepted the returns with no fuss.

MoreCashThanDash

Not the creeping high street vanity sizes where a large isn’t needed until you hit a BMI of 30

Oi! I resemble that remark!

unovolo
    Free Member

I love Decathlon, spent 30mins playing Indoor badminton with my daughter then had a bash at Archery, Quick spin round on the Microscooters(I was releasing my inner child but at 42 did get some odd looks).
    Bought a Gilet from the Equine section(have no interest in horse riding but some nice clothes in that bit).

Finally there is a nice Alloy road bike that keeps taunting me with its enduro style colours and full Ultegra groupset.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

My first proper mtb was a 2007 rockrider 9.1, awesome bike and value for money, it convinced me mtb’ing was the sport for me. 8)

The product that really has stood the test of time though is their rockrider cycling jacket, which I’ve had for around 5 years. I got it for around 30 quid in the sale, but saying that it was only £50 full price anyhow.
    I would guesstimate if it was a branded one I would have had to pay 3 times as much for a comparable jacket considering its features.
    It’s kept me dry when many of my mates more expensive branded jackets have let them down.
    I’ve reproofed it around 3 times now and it’s just starting to show its age, my only complaint is that sometimes the zip used to snag on the liner behind which could be a pita to sort out.
    As everyone else has said check out the other sections for base layers etc which can be used for cycling.
    Allow yourself at least 2 hours for when you do go in, you’ll need it! 😆

TiRed

SIS gels and Michelin latex inner tubes are my staple from Decathlon. I like their small tool bottle/pods too, just the right size.

saxabar
    Free Member

Bought a bag full of stuff after recommendations on here. Been through a few washes now and still good and, rarely for today, a medium is actually a medium. Very happy!

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

+1 on the padded shorts/liners. These actually sit where you need them to unlike the liners you get with Endura shorts.

Mackem

Their Base layers are superb.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i bought a set of 3 b’twin tyre levers from decathlon must be 7 or 8 years ago which are still my first choice go to levers, ive had countless ‘decent’ branded ones, ones as part of kits, ones free with magazines since and the b’twinnies have outlasted them all.

cant beat it for tools and bits n pieces. but the riding gear is naff, for mtb that is… ive tried riding in their baselayers too – very comfy fresh on but when you get a sweat on its itchy sratchy hotness!

MoreCashThanDash

Do you know whats worse than Decathlon for impulse buys? When you pop in to Decathlon with the kids to get a pair of trunks and then pop next door to Ikea for a bacon cob!

One bacon cob and juice

One sausage cob and a hot chocolate

One 9 item breakfast and a coffee

Not outstanding quality, but perfectly fine. £5.75 all in! 😯

vondally
    Free Member

decathlon clothing for me is a terrible fit now, quality hit and miss and all a shame

bought some bib shorts on sunday the pro team ones did not try on as I had them before and in XL I could not really get them on I would be in XXXL minimum.

Fleeces are rubbish this year and base layers rubbish but SO got running socks, compression calf socks and reduced wind proof jacket for 30 quid all in.

chrismac

In reply to the OP my answer is always the exit.

Bez

You need one of the btwin chain whips. So much better than the traditional version!

Unless you’ve singlespeeded a geared hub, in which case it’s as much use as a bag of lettuce.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

wtf is a cob?

jamiep
    Free Member

the proper word for a bread roll

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon – what should I look for’ is closed to new replies.