Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Daylight saving time. Clocks going back/forwards.
  • There's always moans about the disruption to routine caused by the clocks altering by an hour twice a year.
    To look at it another way, that's 60 minutes every 180 days or so.
    So why not alter the clocks by 20 seconds every day.
    Those who think daylight saving time is a good idea will still get their hour difference, those who don't won't notice the 20 seconds. It's a win/win situation.
    New digital clocks and watches could be programmed in advance.
    Analogue watches are rarely that accurate anyway, so their owners will be used to the idea of constantly adjusting them.
    This will make all old digital clocks and watches obsolete, but that's no worse than the digital broadcasting switchover making analogue radios and TVs obsolete.

BigJohn

11 weeks till the nights start getting shorter!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So why not alter the clocks by 20 seconds every day.
    Those who think daylight saving time is a good idea will still get their hour difference, those who don't won't notice the 20 seconds. It's a win/win situation.
    New digital clocks and watches could be programmed in advance.
    Analogue watches are rarely that accurate anyway, so their owners will be used to the idea of constantly adjusting them.
    This will make all old digital clocks and watches obsolete, but that's no worse than the digital broadcasting switchover making analogue radios and TVs obsolete.

Or why not just keep it as it is so all our clocks on all our expensice electronic equipment don't have to be changed at huge cost?

If it ain't broke…..

julianwilson
    Free Member

My parents' old priest once did a sermon on April fools' and had a congregation believing we were going to go to metric time and the government would supply us with free digital watches. Its not all hellfire and catholic guilt. 😀

mtbfix

11 weeks till the nights start getting shorter!

How depressing 🙁

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've never seen the point. Just stick with GMT FFS.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How depressing

Really ? I love riding in the dark 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I look forward to it every year. I think it's great: All of a sudden, it's light until 7.45pm WooHoo!!!

Or why not just keep it as it is so all our clocks on all our expensice electronic equipment don't have to be changed at huge cost?

Tsk, there's always some Luddite who wants to stand in the way of progress.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is an AFD wind-up yes?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

GMT. I prefer that farmers can change their habits over them changing my clocks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm not sacrificing evening rides in the daylight for any bloody complainers who can't be bothered to change their damn clocks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd prefer BST and BDST, who give a monkey about how light it is in the morning, its dark anyway with the current times. And at least I could come home from work in Daylight rather than missing it completely.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Grrr, it's still too dark when I get home from work for night rides without lights. However, when I get back from holiday in a fortnight…. 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

who give a monkey about how light it is in the morning,

Those of us who live in the north generally prefer that it start getting light before 10-00am which would be the case some of the time if we went over to Central European Time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tsk, there's always some Luddite who wants to stand in the way of progress.

OK, so how much to replace the clock on my boiler then?

It doesn't need replacing.
    You just need to get in to the habit of altering it by 20 seconds every day.

BillMC

More light at night means fewer road accidents ( more happen after rather than before work), less money spent on lights and heating, less depression arising from SAD. Scottish farmers, like all farmers, live on subsidies…why not just pay them an hour's electric light bill and give us all a break?

cynic-al
    Free Member

MG the most amusing poster on here so far.

daveob
    Free Member

Why don't the Scottish farmers just start an hour later in the winter?

jon1973
    Free Member

Why don't the Scottish farmers just start an hour later in the winter?

Is it not inconceivable that England and Scotland could be on a different time zone. Everyone's happy.

smiffy

GMT. I prefer that farmers can change their habits over them changing my clocks.

What on earth has it got to do with farmers?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Daylight saving time. Clocks going back/forwards.’ is closed to new replies.