• This topic has 48 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Day nursery costs (calender month) – is this right?
  • hora
    Free Member

£34.50 a day for 4days a week = £552.00

Nursery says they work on a “Calender month” though (funny that) so its £590.

Surely the Calender month scheme is assuming you stay there for a year and if you don’t you’ll be likely to receive a rebate?!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I assume it means that the next month, if there are less attended days in the calendar month, you will pay less.

geoffj

Smoke and mirrors, luckily we are on the home straight with nursery fees – 7 months to go an counting :lol:. Still pay £300 per month for 3 mornings a week though. That’s not a bad price Hora. Get yerself into the childcare vouchers, and you can save a bit more.

hora
    Free Member

Fixed/direct debit cost of £590 based on calender month.

That’s not a bad price Hora

He will be expected to manufacture high-end ‘lifestyle’ clothing ready for shipment to China where the customers like to think of themselves as ‘lifestyle mountain bikers’.

ski
    Free Member

Some do Hora

Think its down to Nursery, we pay per hour btw, which works out about the same as your day rate.

crashdummy
    Free Member

We pay £1080 for 4 days a week … count yourself lucky

binners

This is great. You being a dad really is the gift that keps on giving. 😀

Welcome to my world Hora. Again. This will be the first of many moments where you realise the true shocking cost of continuing the Hora dynasty.

And as you discover them, one by one, I’ll be there to point at you while laughing like a drain.

Is it slowly dawning on you that those days of changing your frame/forks every week are well and truly gone? Give them a wave goodbye

hora
    Free Member

Dunno, this is the talk coming from a father of two with an intense frame! 8)

fadda

Hora –

Until September, when fadda jnr started school, we paid circa £750 a month for 4 days a week.

Sounds like you got it good!

stumpyjon

Yep, they do that with ours to, around £ 750 for five days. crashdummy, I thought we were being done over 😯

hora
    Free Member

crashdummys kids don’t have to secretly work in a sweatshop though 😉

StirlingCrispin

Check what happens during holidays etc.
    You may well have to pay if you go away or if the nursery is closed for local holidays.

You’ll also have to pay if your child does not attend due to sickness.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fixed/direct debit cost of £590 based on calender month.

So you have worked it out this month which is a ‘cheap’ month. There will be some months that have more childcare days in them. So some months you win, some you lose.

And you can assume you will be there for a year – it isn’t good to move nurseries unless you have to – let the kid get used to his/her new carers.

If you are concerned, ask them to clarify what they will do about any refund due should you leave.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So to balance the books, we pay nowt for 15 hrs a week and an additional 80 Euro for the extra 15 hrs weekly. But that’s Ireland where it can cost E800 pcm too.

rkk01
    Free Member

One reason why “economically productive” folks were quite disappointed about the child benefit cuts…?

hora
    Free Member

Funnily you only use a nursery if you are a hardworking couple huh.

Child benefit shouldn’t go to those who DONT WORK.

wwaswas

lol @ binners.

I too am expecting many happy years of reading hora’s bemused ‘But it’s going to cost me lots of money!’ posts in relation to his childs upbringing.

£600/month is quite good, tbh. Might be worth seeing if your employer will do a salary sacrifice for nursery vouchers – saves you the tax.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wait till you get to the shoes stage! £30 a pair and they recommend (they would wouldn’t they?) a new pair every six weeks!

clubber
    Free Member

Ours is £44 per day. We pay monthly on the basis of 51 weeks in the year divided by 12 – eg the calendar months so the monthly bill is always the same except if there are any bank hols in which case they’re reduced on that month’s bill.

Hora, I know you live in the smelly North but it still sounds pretty cheap.

Nursery says they work on a “Calender month” though (funny that) so its £590.

= £138 per week x 51 weeks / 12 months = £586.50

So you’re not paying over the odds you muppet.

woody2000

Fack me, when I read threads like this I’m glad we’ve been able to keep our 2 out of nursery! I wonder if there’s a gap in the nursery market locally……hmm!

hora
    Free Member

Wait till you get to the shoes stage! £30 a pair and they recommend (they would wouldn’t they?) a new pair every six weeks!

My Mum used to tell me about the Clarks shop/people going down to be measured regularly etc. I never had that (no money) and I don’t recall any problems with my feet since.

Fack me, when I read threads like this I’m glad we’ve been able to keep our 2 out of nursery! I wonder if there’s a gap in the nursery market locally…

I thought that too but then I thought the building, insurance, liability insurance and staffing challenges would be a royal PITA.

clubber
    Free Member

6 weeks – that’s just silly though isn’t it unless it’s referring to a check every 6 weeks which isn’t unreasonable.

As and when necessary. Sometimes it has been 6 weeks, generally a good bit longer than that.

vinnyeh

£60 -£65 per day is I think the going rate in our area, 12 month waiting lists all round, and according to playground gossip, unverified, one of them has parents signing up while mum is still pregnant. 😀 It is London though.

It’s a business I’d really like to go into….

clubber
    Free Member

one of them has parents signing up while mum is still pregnant

I can believe that – we signed up just after ours was born and some places were full.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My Mum used to tell me about the Clarks shop/people going down to be measured regularly etc. I never had that (no money) and I don’t recall any problems with my feet since.

Well we managed to wait 3 months (through ineptitude) and you could actually see where the buckles had started to leave a shape in their feet 😥

As with many other things, if it can be afforded it should be done really.

firestarter
    Free Member

Hora not only do doleys get family allowance just to cheer you up they get free nursery places too so they can sit at home on their fat arses too . Psses me right off that

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A friend of mine has three nurseries. He doesn’t do badly, but he isn’t exactly rich. He does have 24/7 headaches with staffing issues and red tape.

maxray
    Free Member

Child care vouchers ease the pain.. it was a bonus for us that the pre school nursery we have just swapped little miss maxray to is free.. Wooo and indeed hoooo, £300 pm up now as I was fronting the nursery costs myself 😀

endurobadger
    Free Member

650 for 3 days a week

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It costs us around £340 a month for one day a week for our twins. Fortunately it is attached to the school she works at so they don’t charge for school holidays.

It would be pointless for my wife to work any more than she does as any possible increase in income would be swallowed by the increase in childcare costs and reduction in working tax credits.

warton
    Free Member

500 quid a month for 3.5 days a week for us. then when my wife is on school holidays we pay half that as a retainer fee! Joyous isn’t it!

stuey
    Free Member

Have more kids and get a 10% discount.

Buy bikes with the money you saved.

(£50-70+ per day round here – child minders can be cheaper )

Spud

We pay £200 pcm for one day for our two, much of it for our son is picked up by the free places that over threes get from Gov’t.

Lucas
    Free Member

You can see why so many women have a career break to look after kids. Our son was going to go to nursey for 3 days a week at £35 a day. This works out to be £5355 a year (51 weeks). However my wife was made redundant (along with 30 others) just before going back after maternity leave.

We are now expecting another – so 2 of them for 3 days a week would be £10700 a year, bearing in mind thats for the 3 days my wife would work so she is only earning 3 days worth of money means that her salary would have to be about £21 – £22k a year just ot break even!! (not taking into account tax credits, vouchers etc).

This time next year when number 1 son is 2.5 he can go to pre-school for 3 hours a day for £7. That sounds alright.

My wife’s gonna be busy come May though!!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I know from a chap at work the cheapest childcare he could find was £600 a month, most places were £750 – £1100.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    It costs us around £340 a month for one day a week for our twins. Fortunately it is attached to the school she works at so they don’t charge for school holidays

Can they do a salary sacrifice scheme, or is it run as a seperate business?

When son was in childcare, it was a hospital based creche, and at the time we had the option of paying by salary sacrifice – bit of a no brainer really, saved us some money over the time the scheme ran.

carlosg
    Free Member

We weighed up the pros and cons just before our son was born and decided we’d be better of (and be able to give more quality time) if mrscarlos went part time.After doing the sums my wife would’ve only earned £100 or £80 more than part time depending on 5 or 4 week months.

I work early mornings posting letters and she originally did a job share as a supervisor in the afternoons but has since moved elsewhere with less responsibility still doing afternoons , we just shared the childcare and feel our child has benefited from the experience of having a parent at home whilst they are really young.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can they do a salary sacrifice scheme, or is it run as a seperate business?

A completely separate business but don’t charge at all for holidays if you don’t need the childcare (but keep your place open) for school staff.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Its times like this I really appreciate in-laws that took early retirement and can’t get enough of their grand daughter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Its times like this I really appreciate in-laws that took early retirement and can’t get enough of their grand daughter

Yeah it helps. My wife works 3 days a week, they go into nursery one day (which I think is good to experience different things/people), her mum & dad have them one day, my mum has them for a morning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Day nursery costs (calender month) – is this right?’ is closed to new replies.