Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dartmoor Routes (non-local at inlaws content)
  • Mat

I’m down from Aberdeen staying with the inlaws in Torquay over Christmas and fancied trying to get a ride in one day up on Dartmoor. Any route suggestions/tips would be much appreciated!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Got a few routes Here

When are you down?

ontor
    Free Member

I might be able to show you some of the local trails – when’re you about

Mat

I’ll be arriving this Sunday although not till mid-day and will probably be leaving Thursday, maybe Friday, Christmas Eve looks to be the prime candidate for me being able to get out though. A guide would be appreciated!

Mat

Having said that it sounds like I may need a snorkel:
    SW Flooding

what tyres for…

ontor
    Free Member

You’ll need a wetsuit if last night’s ride is anything to go by but it was still pleasant. I can do an early morning jaunt on monday – do you want moorland & mud / wood, mud & rocks / wood and mud/ mud and mud?

email is in profile.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

it’s been so, so wet recently that I think a lot of the SE side of the moor will be boggin…
    best bet might be to head to princetown and hit the moor solid bridlepath down to burrator reservoir and then round to sheepstor and back up. its only 20km or so, but there’s scope for extending i think.
    that’s my plan for the crimbo ride anyway..

yunki
    Free Member

I went out on Tuesday for the day in an attempt to find some trails that were holding up to the weather..

I didn’t find anywhere that I was comfortable riding as after the floods and then the brief freeze of last week, the thaw and following rain has left pretty much everywhere in the SE a complete quagmire (giggedy)

Smallacombe, Dingly Dell, Houndtor, Hameldown, Easdon, Bowermans and Lustleigh Cleave were all completely minging

With all the rain we’ve had since and with what’s been forecast I’ll be heading to Haldon until it’s had chance to drain off a bit..
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some proper cold weather..

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve the same quandary for saturdays ride, will either be local woods or heading for Haldon too I think (non cheeky for a change too!), save the trails a bit, don’t want to ruin them by heading out over t’moors…

if there is a group ride and i can make it then please post up here..

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

If Dartmoor stays as wet as it is (which it probably will, looking at the forecast) a load of us from Plymouth will probably have a day on the Quantocks. You’ll be more than welcome to join us.

billyboulders
    Free Member

As above – conditions are horrendous down here and more heavy rain and floods are forecast over the next few days. It would be a shame if you haven’t ridden on Dartmoor before to slog through bogs and mud, even the down hill runs are no fun more an exercise in (un) controlled slow sliding about. It’s a shame but yunki is probably right Haldon may well be your best bet – as long as more of the trail doesn’t wash away over the weekend! The more armoured trails suggested around Princetown may be ok but are very exposed in places so even there won’t be much fun in the current deluge. See if the in-laws can put you up again in the spring is probably the best advice :o(

Mat

Thanks for all the responses guys, given the ongoing biblical downpours I think i’ll give it a miss and just chuck some running gear in the car instead (desperate measures). I think I’ll be down at some point this summer so I may well call on your knowledge again!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As above I’d avoid the valleys on the east side of the moor. They’ll be truly gopping by now.

I haven’t ridden it for a few weeks but most of the Princetown / Burrator loop (Widowmaker) generally holds up OK in a bit of rain and might be worth considering as an option.

Anyone got a recent trail report from up that way?

EDIT – just saw that was already suggested. Doh!

jam-bo

Pretty wet but that route doesn’t really bog much apart from a couple of spots out from princetown to nuns cross.

I’d give the run from the mast down a miss.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Anybody been out Princetown way this week? Is it worth a punt or should I support the local pub economy from fireside instead?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I rode the Princetown-Burrator loop on Sunday morning. As you’d expect, pretty wet but most of it holds up fine. There are a couple of spots on the top section that are really badly waterlogged with deep mud but the rest is fine. Good excuse to hit the Foxtor Cafe! 🙂

Del

it would take rather a lot to get me on to one of the most exposed parts of the moor in this weather.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Ta Hamish.

Don’t mind a bit of weather, been up the moor in all conditions, but I wouldn’t want to ride if the routes are getting torn up due to waterloggedness.

galactus
    Free Member

It’s only a bit of wind(coming at you from all angles) and rain…vertical and diagonal mixed in with horizontal.
    The odd wheel swallowing mud puddle
    What more could your average rider want? 😀

peanut
    Free Member

did the Burrator loop on Sunday. Yeah axle deep mud puddles and paths like cycling through rivers, soaked after 5 mins, no one else around. Whats not to like.

bitemebryn
    Free Member

Was half thinking of heading up there tomorrow, mind now made up, Haldon it is.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Did Princetown to Burrator on the 27th, wasn’t too bad. Bit gloopy, we all got wet feet, and a few surprise bottomless puddles, but not as apocalyptic as we thought it might be- look, evilsam is still smiling, bu then she is teflon coated….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Routes (non-local at inlaws content)’ is closed to new replies.