Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Darkside: I need new wheels – Help!
  • pinches
    Free Member

OK, so i currently have some wheels i got given that came off a Giant Defy 2 which are mavic CXP 22 rims (28h) on giants own brand hubs (at a guess – formula)

The rear free hub has started oscillating horribly when freewheeling. These wheels were only temporary anyway so i'm just going to build a new pair sooner rather than later.

Luckily i got a pair of 105 hubs with my groupset, but i am stuck as to what 32h rims to build these on. Current suggestions are DT Swiss RR415 or Mavic Open pros, is there anything else i should look at that i've missed?

ta!

tragically1969
    Free Member

Is this for a road bike, it's just that dark side means **** all ?

I would go mavic

mrmo
    Free Member

if your building up wheels, the stock answer is open pros, To be blunt they aren't many better options for a general purpose wheelset regardless of money.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Open Pros or Ambrosio Excellights.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Open pro +1

simondbarnes

Open Pros

oldgit
    Free Member

Mavics, don't those Giant hubs have sealed replaceable bearings?
    Edit; Just thought. I think there was an issue with those wheelsets, something to do with the way the rear was laced. My mate had some warranty returns that he re laced and they were fine afterwards……I should know as I'm using them for the 3Peaks.

amd635
    Free Member

Take a look at Parker's. They have a good choice of road rims.
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/c/65/Rims—Clincher.html

69er
    Free Member

Open Pros

tinribz
    Free Member

Try somethink different and a little bit cool like these:

< £200, bargain.

OK they are from Honkers but I've seen alot of good reports about their frames. Give them a go, then report back!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50mm-700C-Carbon-Road-TT-bike-Tubular-Wheelset-Rim-/160471231658?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255cd4acaa

pinches
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Mavics, don't those Giant hubs have sealed replaceable bearings?
    Edit; Just thought. I think there was an issue with those wheelsets, something to do with the way the rear was laced. My mate had some warranty returns that he re laced and they were fine afterwards……I should know as I'm using them for the 3Peaks.

I've already relaced the pair as yes they were a warranty return pair. The actual build is fine, its just the rear hub has shat itself!

As much as i like the look of those deep section carbon rims, they're both probably quite a bit heavier than an open pro, and significantly more expensive!

open pros it is, the question is, ceramic coated ones or normal!?

tinribz
    Free Member

About 10% lighter, 50% dearer, 200% cooler than Open[yawn]Pros.

crikey
    Free Member

They are also more aerodynamic…

Aero is way better than lightweight any day of the week…

llama

I had a rear mavic askium where 2 spokes got pulled out of the hub. I like to think this was because of my awesome power, but I suspect a design fault was more likely. Anyway, they replaced the wheel no problems, the new one is a slightly different design. I am pleased with it and no problems with what cost be about £120 of a pair of wheels (they are about £160 now I think)

mrmo
    Free Member

unless your riding in cross winds, and carbon rims are never as good as far as braking goes.

But yes they do look good.

69er
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    They are also more aerodynamic…

Unless you're riding uphill or in the wind…

And he's building onto 105 hubs! The carbon rims may be overkill.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Just buy a pair of Planet X model B wheels, £130 delivered, no building and lighter than 105's with open pros.

pinches
    Free Member

apart from the fact i already have the 105 hubs, and i'm trying to stay away from bladed spokes purely from a maintenance point of view.

69er
    Free Member

Eh? They're not that complicated. Fairly pointless for most people, but not complicated.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Then go ahead and spend your money on a (relatively) hefty 105 and Open Pro build.

pinches
    Free Member

it's not that they're complicated, its more a case of being able to buy bladed spokes easily should i snap one, although i may be worrying unnecessarily as i only weigh 64kg and i've never bust a spoke in my life.

that's the only thing with the 105/open pro setup is that i've really no idea of what it weighs relatively to anything else.

I've also contemplated a pair of ksyrium elites, obviously a bit more expensive, but also quite a bit lighter.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mavic spares can be a bastard to source, so given your views on bladed spokes I'd steer clear.

Plus its £500 for a 1500g wheelset, PX Bs are £130 and 1650g.

It really is a no brainer IMO.

pinches
    Free Member

well, i work for a large chain of bike shops so spares for mavics directly are less of an issue, and obviously as such, i won't be paying retail for a pair of wheels 8)

Jase
    Free Member

I've just bought Tiagra/Open Sport for the winter and they weight just over 2000g so you should be able to work out the weight of 105/Open Pro from that.

pinches
    Free Member

yeah open pro would be like 1850g there or there abouts.

oldgit
    Free Member

I can vouch for 105/Ultegra on Open Pros being a great 'riding' wheel.
    But it depends on what level you are competing at. I used Zipps for two Crits and they didn't improve my race at all. In fact they seemed to be sluggish coming out of tight bends.
    Though I would say 30% of the field uses carbon aeros to race on.

However just look at my forum name, I'm still sold on 32/32/3X I love the way they ride on UK roads. And for cross racing it means I'm not binning a factory set within a year.
    Edit; yeah your weights are about right. 1890 for Open pro on Ultegra with skewers.

pinches
    Free Member

yeah apparrently from what i've heard the hand build i've thought of will ride really well, its that they're just not that light, but certainly an affordable build.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Light wheels feel nice but don't actually make much difference. Aero wheels may make you very slightly faster but are often less comfortable and sometimes heavier.

Those planet x wheels look really good value. I think many of us seasoned road riders recommend shimano/open pro is due to variable durability/spares availability experiences of other wheels.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Those planet x wheels look really good value. I think many of us seasoned road riders recommend shimano/open pro is due to variable durability/spares availability experiences of other wheels.

The Planet X are very good value and are brilliant wheels, almost night and day in comparison to my last wheel set which was Open Pro on Ultegra, which were sturdy but heavy and didn't accelerate as well, the planet X Bs also feel a lot smoother.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah lightness schmightness my boy. Just ride well on some basic wheels.
    Get yer builder to put his little sticker on the rim, bags more class than some Far Eastern imported tripe – unless you thought a Starsky & Hutch stripe on a 1974 Hillman Hunter looked good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In what ways mike?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They seem to smooth out the road surface I guess its down to spokes or lack of them, there doesn't appear to be any additional flex either, but I would concede that they are not as strong as the open pro / ultegra.

pinches
    Free Member

If i was to get my builder to put his sticker on the rim, i'd have to go and design my own sticker and send them to a printer 😉

the planet X ones are good value for their weight, only thing that concerns me is freehub body related issues in their feedback from cassette interface.

Although, i have found a pair of ksyrium elites from last year at a very good price!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

the planet X ones are good value for their weight, only thing that concerns me is freehub body related issues in their feedback from cassette interface.

I thought your only worry was the bladed spokes?

bonj
    Free Member

wheels with actual proper spokes and lacing are far better than "race" wheels.

I'd recommend mavic open pro rims with hope pro3 hubs, got them on one of my road bikes built by hewitts, really like them so building some myself for the other.

pinches
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

I thought your only worry was the bladed spokes?

well, that was on a recommendation from somewhere else, but i realised at my weight i've never broken a spoke, so that's probably less of an issue.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: I need new wheels – Help!’ is closed to new replies.