Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Damn you, Santa Cruz…
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

I posted earlier this week about buying my first "proper" bike. Lots of people gave good advice, and I was happy that I was on the right track, next stop a test ride.

And then… I went and read something on the interweb. Aaagggh.

They've dropped the price of the Superlight, and someone was saying how sensible a single pivot is as a year rounbd bike.

Now I'm back to square one. Lapierre Zesty (winner in the first round elimination battle), or rebuild the bits of my Carrera Fury (don't laugh) into a Superlight that becomes a long term "upgrade it as bits wear out" sort of bike.

Go on then. Now what?

slowrider
    Free Member

a superlight really isnt my my kind of bike, too steep, light and short travel. having ridden one however i couldnt recommend one highly enough if its a suitable bike for what you do. absolutely brilliant handling and so much fast fun, made me feel like a singletrack god!

ive never tried a lapierre so couldnt comment on that one

Rickos
    Free Member

Tough call. This was clearly written by your head, but what does your heart tell you? I bet your heart says Zesty, don't it. 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

just buy a bike, there will always be better deals at some point, you'll be waiting forever if you keep hanging on for the next thing

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has a superlight with 130mm up front and it's a proper flying machine.

To be honest I'd say it'll be more than enough bike for trail centres, most of wales, the lakes and the peaks and (although I have limited experience) most of what the south of england could possibly throw at you

TheFopster
    Free Member

Heart does indeed say Zesty. Sooooo pretty. Will sleep on it.

batman11
    Free Member

One of the worst mistakes i made was selling my superlight of truly a great singletrack and all round frame set, spec't with a 120mm fork up front took some hard riding in it's stride in wales and im 17 stone.

Bats.

RepacK
    Free Member

A Superlight will do you alright but dont worry about VPP systems either – yes stuff wears out but hey what do want the bike for? To look good in your garage or to have fun on?!

duntstick
    Free Member

Yeah, but just imagine if they did a slightly beefier version, similarly discounted with similar travel to the Zesty, very highly rated not as steep……..etc.

Heckler

Nightmare choosing bikes these days 😆

backhander
    Free Member

I'd rather have the heckler myself. Superb price and more comparable to a zesty (140mm).

TheFopster
    Free Member

Getting confused now. Time for a lie down in a darkened room. Presume a Heckler would be no good with the 120 forks of the Fury? They're actually surprisingly decent and pretty sure they'd be OK on a superlight, but not enough travel for a Heckler?

matty-B
    Free Member

Think hard about where, when and how and how long you ride.

For a first 'proper' bike you really will not go wrong with a superlight unless you need 140mm where you are riding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Damn you, Santa Cruz…’ is closed to new replies.