Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Damn! I knew cleaning it was bad
  • VanHalen

Just found 2 cracks near the BB on my meta 4…

Well that explains the embarrassingly noisy creak I’ve been running.:-(

Anyway – anyone know an aluminium welder near Brighton?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Warranty?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Commencal crack no way!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Aluminium doesn’t respond well to repairs, personally I’d scrap it if there’s no warranty….

Northwind

If you fancy a repair, you’d probably get on better asking on Ride.io or Pinkbike- relatively common for people to repair dh bikes, wherever 224 owners gather someone will know a good alu welder…

VanHalen

Warrenty!? lol no way it’s second hand and an 05 frame.

Gutted as I’ve grown to like it. Done some stupid stuff on it too. Which may explain it’s condition – lol

Anyone got a cheap xc frame they dont want

jekkyl

Brand new inbred @ £140?

VanHalen

Sorry needs to be fs and fun. Right price range though!

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve always been suspicious of cleaning! 😉 Mark, Tom is selling his small Stumpjumper 120mm FS if that isn’t too tiny for you.

brakes
    Free Member

I was going to give my bikes their annual clean this weekend.
    I don’t think I’ll bother now.

chiefgrooveguru

I was going to give my bikes their annual clean this weekend.

I asked my LBS how often to check the torques on my FS linkages – they said, “do it when you clean it – oh, you don’t clean it…”

eviljoe
    Free Member

@ Van Halen,I’ve got an older Giant Trance sitting about if you are interested. Wouldn’t want the earth for it. Email in profile

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Aluminium gets re-tempered when you weld it. You’d need to find someone to heat treat the frame again after the repair to be sure it was up to spec, otherwise you’d just be winging it.

I lost a frame from an over enthusiastic powder coaters taking the frame too hot. It lost all its rigidity and had to be replaced.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’m in Brighton and have a large heckler frame for sale (plus some other bits)

Haven’t got round to putting it on the classifieds yet – looking for £250

VanHalen

Small stumpy is too small Alex. I’ve got enough bikes that are too small already but thanks for the shout. Old trance looks like a winner if it’s med or bigger

Northwind

Scienceofficer – Member

You’d need to find someone to heat treat the frame again after the repair to be sure it was up to spec, otherwise you’d just be winging it.

Yup, but then it’s either that or new frame so there’s a lot to be said for winging it.

VanHalen

thanks to eviljoe i now have a working xc frame with all teh welds intact….

for now anyway….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Damn! I knew cleaning it was bad’ is closed to new replies.