Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dammit. What Road bike?
  • ste_t
    Free Member

Next year’s charity challenge will be a triathlon. I’m ignoring the fact that I can’t swim for now and focusing on the other sections.

I don’t want to splash out so looking for a road bike around the £400 mark. My knowledge is 0 so looking for a new sale bike rather than 2nd hand.

Seen a Giant Defy 3 for £450 – what else should I be looking at for that price?

Bregante

Have a look at Btwin at decathlon. The Triban 500 is well rated and is £299 at the minute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There are few bad bikes these days, anything from the major brands.

I’d test ride rather than buy on internet advice from strangers.

spacemonkey

My knowledge is 0 so looking for a new sale bike rather than 2nd hand.

Why not secondhand?

I decided a few weeks ago that I not only wanted a road bike but was actually going to get one. Had lost touch with any previous knowledge of the dark side so I looked at reviews like those above etc, and made a shortlist (all pretty much £800-£1200 bikes). Looked on eBay and set up some alerts. Ended up with a barely used, mint, upgraded 2014 105 CAAD8 with spare wheels/tyres for £500.

Bargains can be had. You just need to be diligent (and sometimes patient).

jonba
    Free Member

Are you bothered about time? You could probably set up a hardtail, if you have one, to be fast enough on the road for a charity triathlon.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bargains can be had. You just need to be diligent

And a bit lucky…

relliott6879
    Free Member

spacemonkey

Why not secondhand?

I decided a few weeks ago that I not only wanted a road bike but was actually going to get one. Had lost touch with any previous knowledge of the dark side so I looked at reviews like those above etc, and made a shortlist (all pretty much £800-£1200 bikes). Looked on eBay and set up some alerts. Ended up with a barely used, mint, upgraded 2014 105 CAAD8 with spare wheels/tyres for £500.

Bargains can be had. You just need to be diligent (and sometimes patient).

Very similar here. I’ve decided to give road biking a go but didn’t want to spend a fortune only to find it wasn’t for me, I scored a 2010 CAAD8 (Tiagra triple) for the princely sum of £216. Mind you, an attack of ‘shiny new kit syndrome’ followed shortly afterwards and a further £164.25 was splashed on a pair of Shimano RS11 wheels, Michelin Pro Race 3 tyres, an Easton EA70 bar and tape and a new cassette!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dammit. What Road bike?’ is closed to new replies.