Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Damaged Chain?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that a link in my chain has been damaged. Probably during the weekends ride. What’s the best course of action?

I don’t want to replace the chain as I’ll need to replace cassette and chain rings too. Should I just leave it or should I replace the link(s)?

I’m off to the Alps soon and don’t want it to break before or during.

stumpy01

How long has the chain been on? How many chains has the cassette been through?
    Do you have a chain checker to see how stretched the current chain is?

You might get away with a new chain on your cassette, if it’s not too far gone?
    Alternatively, if it’s just 1 link, can’t you just remove it and stick a powerlink or equivalent in?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I usually swap chain, cassette and chainrings at the same time. This was done at the end of April. I’ve used the chain checker and it has not stretched past the .75mm mark yet.

I think I’ll swap the link for a new one or a power link to test.

If this doesn’t work do you think I’ll get away with a new chain due to the lack of wear?

speaker2animals

I would expect that unless you have ridden a lot in some horrendous muddy conditions that you will be fine with a new chain only. As your checker shows so little wear I suspect that you haven’t worn the chain enough to wear the cassette/rings by any significant amount.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

It’s seen some miles and I usually have to replace the drivetrain every 6 months but since April it’s been reasonably dry and I’ve cleaned the chain monthly with the park tool cleaner/device, which may have help longevity.

I’ll place an order for a chain and swap the link out in the meantime.

Cheers

BigJohn

Take out twisted links and replace with a bit of chain you might have lying around. Or run it a bit shorter, and be careful not to go into big/big.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Damaged Chain?’ is closed to new replies.