Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Damaged carbon rim content. Will it buff out?
  • mikeep
    Free Member

So hit a sharp rock in an endooro race at the weekend. Big slit in tire and crack at nipple hole.

Thinking about smothering it in epoxy resin and seeing how it goes.

Any thoughts?

play
    Free Member

That’s how i fixed mine, epoxy has held it together.

oliverracing

I’m all for repairing carbon (yet you see a frame that I wouldn’t say was repairable) but rims with the concentrated loads they have are normally scrap – which is what I’d say yours is without a decent understanding of carbon repairs 😥

EDIT: Tried repairing a similar damage on an Enve for a mate, lasted ~2 weeks before spoken went loose. In the end we ended up dremeling the whole area away and rebuilding it back up, looks ugly and was lots of work but think it’s still going tubed as a winter wheel

EDIT2: just seen it’s in the rim bed not the section taking the load from the spoke, is that also damaged? If not, I’d do as you suggested – runny epoxy to bond whats left togther

andyl
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

This in all honesty >

Thinking about smothering it in epoxy resin and seeing how it goes.

I’d even be tempted to try superglue so it penetrates in via capillary action but it’s rubbish strength wise. If using epoxy then don’t overdo the hardener (ie get the ratio spot on) and use a hair drier to warm up the rim first and then after application so it makes the epoxy go less viscous. It will speed up the cure though so be quick

Northwind

I’d be happy epoxying that up. THing is, if it fails, you just get back the same break you already have. I rode around on this for a week after breaking it at BPW, just stuck a tube in it… (no I didn’t fix it)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEHiMp]IMG_3970[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

andyl
    Free Member

we ended up dremeling the whole area

It probably wouldnt hurt the wheel cutting away all of the circumferential damage there.

Just had another look and there might be a crack running to the left side bead. In which case it will probably fail across the rim.

Something like Schwalbe pro-core might be useful from preventing this if you ride somewhere with quite point rocks.

andyl
    Free Member

on another note, I’ve seen some rims with damage not far off that from the factory drilling of the nipple holes! And they had “QC” stickers stuck on them and sent out as built wheels.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Damaged carbon rim content. Will it buff out?’ is closed to new replies.