We have 2 boys 4 & 1 years old. The big one has outgrown the topeak rack mount seat and that is going to become his brother's ride now he is big enough. So for upcoming family rides the options appear to be...
1) follow me tandem, which seems to tick the following boxes:
- mounts to any qr rear
- pivots vertically and low down so should reduce tail wagging dog syndrome
- monkey 1 can pedal around his own bike too where appropriate
- i can mount the topeak seat on the luggage rack still and take monkey 2 along for the ride as well
2 - seatpost mounted tagalong
- fit wife or my bike
- cheaper - lots
- high mount allows him to potentially chuck his weight around
3 - rack mount tag along
- more solid than tube mount
My wife is not an experienced cyclist and her bike has no rack mounts. My worry is an excitable 4yo and the extra leverage and weight of the tag along might make her uncomfortable bit it may beI am just being a worrisome old fart. I like the idea that i could lug the pair if needed.
I am leaning strongly toward the follow me and buying a tow bike but having not tried any of the options before I was really hoping there might be some real world experience here.