Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cylcocross on a singlespeed mountain bike?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

If in a moment of madness, I fancied a spot of cyclocross racing in Scotland this year without having a cyclocross bike (just ordered a new mountain bike, so no cyclocross bike this year), would you have any tips on setup?

I don't want to race my new full-sus mountain bike in the muddy winter fields, so would be more likely to use my On One Inbred singlespeed. I'm guessing that 32-16t would be more suitable than my current 32-12t gearing. Any suggestions for tyres for 26" wheels?

Obviously I don't expect to do well, but hopefully it'll be a bit of a laugh, even if I'm last.

oxym0r0n

Tyres – Conti XC 1.5" are the only sensible way to go, but I think you will spin out on 32:16 as CX races tend to be quite flat IME. Also rigid fork or lock out your suspension maybe?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks – maybe up the gearing a bit, but I suspect 32:12 might be a bit tough. Maybe go for 32:14. I have rigid carbon forks, so that'll do.

Thanks for the tyres suggestion – I'll go and have a look.

marty
    Free Member

it'll be fine on a singlespeed. quite a few out there and a few sscx too.

no dundee velodrome* round this year (unfortunately), so 32×16 will be about right / always wrong. 😉

* http://vimeo.com/10532087

oldgit
    Free Member

I think one of our local rounds was won two seasons ago on an old Giant Cadex mountainbike.
    I think 32×16 would be alright.
    Remember it's cyclocross or cyclo and cross, you have to drop the old MTB singlespeeders view that everything has to be ridden and sometimes you have to 'pickitupandrun' I've seen many geared MTBers grannying up a climb while the whole field passes them by on foot.
    Same applies for cornering – fast and wide – easy on the brakes.
    Practice your dismounts, fallen trees should do the job.

pixelmix
    Free Member

That does look like a ridiculously small gear at Dundee!

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll dip my toe in for a few rounds this year to keep fit, and maybe see if I can acquire a CX bike next year. Best get practising with my running – I was knackered climbing a few stairs with the bike yesterday!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Also have a look at the Schwalbe tyres eg here

I would be well impressed at doing well in a race on a SS. If you want to win, it's not the way, but to enjoy the racing etc then any bike is fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cylcocross on a singlespeed mountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.