Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cyclocross rim width help
  • jono84
    Free Member

I got myself a cross bike earlier in the year and it came with 2 cheap wheelsets however when I tried fitting some 700x 35c tyres on them they kept popping off the rim/not seating, a little research shows me I need a wider rim(they were about out 15mm), just wondering whats out there for a max budget of around 150quid ?
    so far ive only come across some campagnolo khamsin (there a 20mm internal width or 19.5 can’t quite remember)
    my critiria is for a
    a wide 700 clincher wheelset (dont fancy the hassle of.tubs for cross)
    shimano 10 speed
    rim braking
    any one help.shed some light or are the campags alrite for there money?

Edric64
    Free Member

I used open pro rims with 35mm Landcruisers in the peaks

jono84
    Free Member

yeah ive come across the open pros but not in a built up wheelset (in budget), ive also come across velocity a23s but not in a wheelset

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup 19.5 really is minimum for anything 33c related. Not hard to find, what about some MTB rims like Stans etc in 29er flavour.. they’ll do.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

open pros are 15 or 15.5 internal from memory, and I’ve seen those used with 29er tyres (29×2.0 admittedly) but no issues with blow off.

What pressure are you trying to run them at? I race cross at between 1.5-2.5 bar on UCI compliant tyres (and weigh around 80 kilos at the moment, unfortunately). If you are whacking them up to 4 bar I’m not surprised you are having issues.

Also, they new tyres, or used? Bead might have gone.

(And does your league enforce the 33mm UCI limit?)

LS
    Free Member

Local leagues can’t enforce the 33mm rule, it applies to UCI races and ‘other categories’ at Trophy level only.

traildog
    Free Member

Something doesn’t sound right here. I take it you are talking about internal width of 15mm. You should be able to get 35c tyres onto a rim like that, and as mentioned above Open Pros are about 15mm and they’ll run 35c tyres just fine.

scotroutes

I’m also wondering what the problem actually is. 35C on Open Pros are just fine.[url=https://flic.kr/p/ag1tDz]IMAG0269[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

garlic
    Free Member

Had the same problem choosing wheels for my CX bike. After a lot of research it turns out a lot of people use Open Pros and Open Sports with CX tyres. Ended up getting some Open Sports with 105s

jono84
    Free Member

that deepens the mistery for me then ….the rims im using are mach1 omegas I first tried to inflste a nobby nic tubeless blew off at 35psi I tend to go to 40 to seat em after that I tried with a tube and it wouldnt seat I bought myself a pair of land cruisers which with a tube I couldnt get any where near 30psi before it started pealing away from the bead i put it down to a rim width issue as I carnt see any fault with the rim or where the bead sits but its all I can put it down too(a faulty rim?) which is why I was on a quest for a wider rim,
    the 29er rim idea is what I thought at first but there nearly all for disc applications, open pros seem to of been mensioned more than once and ive read it on previous posts ….looks like that’s what I should aim for then

jameso

35Cs (or 2.2s etc with high pressures) do work ‘ok’ on Open Pros but a 17-21mm rim helps add some volume and ability to drop the pressure a bit, that either makes zero practical difference or gives skinny tyres all the much-needed help they can get – depends on your POV.. I take the ‘give them all the help they can get’ view and use 19mm+ rims if there’s an option.

Pacenti CL25s are good, I prefer them to Stans. 20mm internal, light / good vfm, really easy tubeless set up, work fine with tubes.

firestarter
    Free Member

46mm tyres open pros here no problem

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Local leagues can’t enforce the 33mm rule, it applies to UCI races and ‘other categories’ at Trophy level only.

can’t or don’t? Most of the leagues I’ve raced in in the last couple of years are. Even the ones without UCI points on offer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

p 19.5 really is minimum for anything 33c related

Why are my 2″ SB8s fine on my open pros then?

jameso

Why are my 2″ SB8s fine on my open pros then?

You could fit knards on them if you stuck to about 60psi.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use both those Pacenti’s and Open pros. The former were about 30 quid from planet x. They are nicer than open pros which a nice but dated. Why not rims and new spokes on your hubs?

LS
    Free Member

can’t or don’t? Most of the leagues I’ve raced in in the last couple of years are. Even the ones without UCI points on offer.

Can’t. It’s in the rules (rule 13 IIRC) – below Trophy level, races are open to all bikes without restriction. I’ve raced in pretty much every area of the UK and officiated in most too, and I’ve never heard of local races enforcing 33mm. If they did then no-one would be able to ride an MTB!

Edric64
    Free Member

Following on from above .my open pros take 70psi in 35mm tyres for the 3 peaks and I have never had a problem

traildog
    Free Member

Have you got some road tyres? Can you fit them to the rim?

I know there are lots of reasoning that wider rims might be better, but I still say that cyclocross tyres should be able to fit to a rim the width you are describing.
    Which says to me there is something else wrong here.

You mentioned tubeless. Have you got the rim packed so tight with tape that the tyres cannot seat on the rim?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross rim width help’ is closed to new replies.