Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cyclocross chainsets, what are my options?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Got a crosser at the weekend that came with a FSA Omega compact 50:34 + 11 speed 11/32.

The 60ish miles I’ve done so far has confirmed this range doesn’t work for “off road” and big long draggy climbs. A 46/34 would be better but I’m wondering if 46/30 is available / doable?

I see there are XTR M985 44/30 but they’re rather expensive for what is a N+1 wagon. Plus I don’t know if I’d get chain suck with a 11 spd chain on a 10 spd c set

qwerty
    Free Member

46/36 was the “norm”, but i’m sure many just run NW single rings now. I’ve run 10 speed with 9 speed chain rings with no issues, not sure about 11/10.

DrP

I thought (but may be wrong) that 10 or 11 works on the chainring – just cassette size alters?
    And you’ll prob find 36/46 is the norm, but go give 30t a try…

You up to the ‘Pride 100 (and thirtyish)’ on this then?
    Might say the saturday will be a better day..

DrP

JoB
    Free Member

just change the bigger ring, it’s what everyone used to do before CX chainsets became A Thing, a 50:34 is quite a road biased ratio

you won’t get a 46/30 on a road chainset, and it’ll get spendy

davidjey
    Free Member

just change the bigger ring, it’s what everyone used to do before CX chainsets became A Thing, a 50:34 is quite a road biased ratio

you won’t get a 46/30 on a road chainset, and it’ll get spendy

+1. It would be easier to up the cassette size to 34t, but this may require a change of rear mech and will therefore also get spendy for the sake of 2 extra teeth.

qwerty
    Free Member
    dragon
    Free Member

Shimano CX-50 or 70 will do the trick, but probably cheaper just to change the outer chainring mind.

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers guys. 50:34 is too spinny for pure road stuff and I have a choice of road bikes for such things.

Dropping down to a 46 would improve the flatter tracks but a tootle on the SDW from Botolphs to Pyecombe yesterday had me grinding 34 – 32 up the hills. – Not sure I’d cope with more than a couple of climbs on that range. 🙄

I’ll have a look at the pick n mix chain ring options.

Dr P

Yeah I should be good for the ride. Just need to work out logistics to and from B’ton. – Could probably cope with riding down to the start again but a bike on a train back is going to be fun, especially on Pride w/e! 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Spa cycles was where I got my smaller ring from. Think it is a 44.

To be honest though unless it is really easy riding I end up in the 34 most of the time off road. I know it is pretty much the only ring I use for racing. 44 is good for NCN gravel and dirt roads.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Changing the inner ring is a lot cheaper than the other ring when I last looked. Changing the 36 back down to a 34 on a 46/36 chainset is only something like £16.

Middleburn do a super-compact chainset : they do a 46/30 :

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/products/cranks/road-touring-cyclo-x/94bcd-super-compact

m1kea
    Free Member

TG

That looks spot on but looks like a special order? Oh and I can’t remember the last time I used a square taper BB; must be 20+ years ago!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

mmm – square taper – even ore attractive…

nice phil wood BB for the win 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    mmm – square taper – even ore attractive…

nice phil wood BB for the win

Just phoned Middleburn; £417 for the R02 46/30 chainset 8O. Also a few weeks lead time.

XTR 44/30 looks a positive bargain in comparison

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

XTR 44/30 looks a positive bargain in comparison

yes, but Shimano have scale of manufacture behind them.

Middleburn might have had more of that if people had bought their stuff in the days where it was miles better than the shimano stuff.

m1kea
    Free Member

Totally get the scales of economy and I was quite keen to try a Middleburn. However even I can’t justify that sort of expenditure, especially on a N+1 bike.

New outer ring it is then

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross chainsets, what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.