• This topic has 49 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cycling tribes (guardian content)
  • alfabus
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very good

Roadies are the junkies of the cycling world; they’re skinny and untrustworthy, and they’ll do whatever they need to in order to keep their habit going.

In fact, there’s a traditional rivalry between Roadies and Mountain Bikers, which leads Mountain Bikers to do extremely irritating things like try to race Roadies who are simply out for a ride, which, if you’re a Roadie, is sort of like being goaded by a hillbilly while you’re browsing an art gallery.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Quite funny actually 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

lots of things in there that made me think of different people on here… the ‘righteous cyclist’ section in particular made me think of BigDummy’s pictures of a rocking chair on the back of his bike 🙂

Dave

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pretentious, parochial long-winded toss. But then, it is written by someone who calls themselves ‘Bike Snob’.

Cycling really isn’t that interesting a subject to write about; this article proves it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I really like that!

Bit of a dig at urban cyclists I reckon 😉

ken_shields
    Free Member

Was in the Observer magazine on Sunday too. Even my gf thought it was quite funny and went through pointing out which bits applied to me :o(

phatstanley
    Free Member

Pretentious, parochial long-winded toss. But then, it is written by someone who calls themselves ‘Bike Snob’.

Cycling really isn’t that interesting a subject to write about; this article proves it.

that’s one way of looking at it.

but i disagree entirely…..

his blog is probably the most consistently funny and self-deprecating column i’ve yet read on the web.

but i don’t get out much.

jond
    Free Member

>Pretentious, parochial long-winded toss. But then, it is written by someone who calls themselves ‘Bike Snob’.

Perhaps you’re trying a little too hard to take it seriously… 😛

crazy-legs

Good article and yes, I also found people on here that some of the descriptions could apply to.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re trying a little too hard to take it seriously…

Perhaps, it’s just that I’ve read so many articles that are almost exactly the same; rely on tired, obvious stereotypes to try to appear witty, urbane and superior. I’m pretty sure I read something very similar in Bicycle Action 20 years ago…

Let’s face it; cycling is fun and exciting to do, but pretty boring to read about.

santacrews
    Free Member

I thought that was a fair article and again i could pick out certain similarities !

I am guilty of trying to race a Roadie on my MTB !
    😳

daveb
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty funny, spotted myself a few times 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nothing about jump grommets or BMX. MTB description is very generic when, as we know, there are many sub-tribes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very funny.

I usually find this kind of thing quite tedious but this guy is obviously a talented writer and humourist.

ie. getting hung up about the categories he’s missed off is a bit silly and anal.

foxyrider
    Free Member

also forgot to say they left out track cyclists – bloomin’ trackist, and also BMXist and Recumbantist? 😆

Oh bugger too late 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

I lol’d.

Elfinsafety, you come across like a right grumpy so and so.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So Elfin, if you’re so original and witty, why not get a job as a journalist or writer?

crazy-legs

His normal blog site is worth a regular read:
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

kimbers

he missed out brompton riders

and photo-op hungry politicians

but i also quite liked it coz he was nice about mtbers but too the pish out of everyone else

julianwilson
    Free Member

Been a while since I looked at his (admittedly very very funny) blog. I didn’t realise bikesnob had ‘gone public’. He now has a name, face and crucially a book of his witticisms priced £9.99 from all good book retailers.

D0NK

anyone read the book? any good? I like the article, I assume the books similar – altho not to everyones tastes seemingly.

StirlingCrispin

The book is excellent – is on a similar vein throughout.

djglover
    Free Member

Whoever it was that said Elfinsafety made them laugh on that other thread must be deluded, I hope they meant at him for being such a pathetic troll. That article was quite amusing, no harm in adults laughting at those who are a bit different from them. Obviously the anal super PC forum police have a different opinion on this to most…

poppa
    Free Member

Maybe he really does work in Health and Safety, and he’s worried that people laughing constitutes a safety risk. Someone could pull a muscle or something.

djglover
    Free Member

Maybe he moved into Health and Safety as being the internet police didn’t pay very well.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, leave him alone, he’s just a frustrated arty type who likes to give his views on everything from a view of expertise. He doesn’t mean any harm.

😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    So Elfin, if you’re so original and witty, why not get a job as a journalist or writer?

… or post something that’s witty or original…

(Ducks to avoid the follow-on fusillade of doom from said elf).

vdubber67
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

An intriguing opinion in some ways. I presume that you are a cyclist given the amount of input you have here. Do you really not enjoy reading about cycling? That’s not a sarcastic dig or anything, it’s just I love reading cycling books, mags, blogs etc, as cycling is a huge motivator in my life, and I’m surprised if a fellow cyclist thinks differently.

Each to their own though 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, you come across like a right grumpy so and so.

Ok then:

Whoever it was that said Elfinsafety made them laugh on that other thread must be deluded, I hope they meant at him for being such a pathetic troll. That article was quite amusing, no harm in adults laughting at those who are a bit different from them. Obviously the anal super PC forum police have a different opinion on this to most…

Maybe he really does work in Health and Safety, and he’s worried that people laughing constitutes a safety risk. Someone could pull a muscle or something.

Maybe he moved into Health and Safety as being the internet police didn’t pay very well.

… or post something that’s witty or original…

😆

Have I pissed on someone’s chips by accident? I am sorry…

Do you really not enjoy reading about cycling?

Not particularly. Same as I wouldn’t really ‘enjoy’ reading about people driving cars, or fishing, or snowboarding, although I’m sure they’re all fun to do. Most leisure activity magazines/journalism exists to market that activity, and is mainly driven by advertising revenue. The ‘articles’ are often little more than filler for the pages and pages of ads. Now and then an article may be interesting, but are mostly pretty mundane tbh.

I’m sorry that I’ve obviously upset people; I was merely expressing a point of view. That I’m not forcing you to agree with. Now, I could react angrily to the silly comments above, but I actually find them funny! People being grumpy about me being ‘grumpy’. Come on, that’s funny, no? 😀

Nah; it’s just that I’ve read more or less the same ‘article’ several times over the years. I think the only reason it’s actually in the Grauniad, is because there are so few articles about cycling, that are vaguely interesting. I find accounts of cycle touring interesting, maybe. Depends.

What perhaps is more interesting, is that some cyclists perceive themselves to belong to certain ‘tribes’ perhaps. I’d put this in with tribalism in general, and I think there’s possibly an interesting area for discussion and debate on this subject. Certainly, some of the ritualised behaviour, adopting certain codes of dress and activity, all that sort of thing is fascinating. Living in a place like London, I can see such patterns of behaviour taking place all around me. Something like Goth or Hip-Hop subculture is certainly interesting.

But with cycling, I simply don’t see the depth of ‘culture’ that exists in other forms of ‘tribalism’; most cyclists simply wear what’s appropriate or available, surely? Indeed, for most cyclists, I’d suggest the ‘cycle’ part is secondary to the cultural statements found in the way they dress. Most folk wear cycling gear just because they’re riding a bike, not for any other reason.

I’m just someone who rides bikes. I don’t define myself as belonging to any particular ‘tribe’ or group, and if others want to compartmentalise me by the bike I ride or the way I dress, good luck to them.

clubber
    Free Member

compartmentalises Fred as a leisure cyclist

😉

brassneck

There are plenty of good cycling reads – The Rider, The Escape Artist even It’s Not About The Bike spring to mind. I’d also contend that racing road bikes has a far greater depth of culture than the two examples you’ve mentioned – Le Tour alone has a history and resonance going back over a century. But maybe you just mean with regard to style/clothing, in which case I’ll shut up, as I don’t tend to think very hard when dressing for cycling beyond ‘How cold? Whats clean?’ and generally not too much on the latter.

poppa
    Free Member

Most folk wear cycling gear just because they’re riding a bike, not for any other reason.

Well thats where you’re wrong. I often wear DH gear to work. It helps to get peoples attention when trying to make a point in the boardroom.

aP
    Free Member

I think the reason it’s in the grauniad os that his book is out and it’s a way of getting some exposure for it. It’s quite amusing, but as elf says above it’s all been pretty much done to death in other articles/ columns/ blogs/ whatever previously.

crazy-legs

An intriguing opinion in some ways. I presume that you are a cyclist given the amount of input you have here.

I’d be amazed if Fred has any time left to do any cycling the amount of time he spends on here!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Brassneck; your mention of cycling literature is interesting, because those particular titles are about cycling as a sport; I dare say you could possibly interchange the sport for any other. Maybe not. And they are perhaps made more interesting because they talk of human endeavour, struggle, the will to succeed, that sort of thing. In fact, cycling is merely incidental, it could be argued.

As regards the ‘tribalism’ in cycling; how many people outside of those who consider themselves ‘cyclists’, would understand the particular references and cultural signifiers? Not many, I’d suspect. And how do non-cyclists see those who ride bikes? Do they compartmentalise them according to the type of cycling they do, or the bikes they ride? Or do they simply label them as ‘cyclists’?

I’m sure many cyclists would love others to consider them more than ‘just a cyclist’, and I feel that much of the internal tribalism is as a result of this need to be recognised in terms of one’s own ‘individuality’ (sic), but to suggest that cycling is this wonderful, sexy activity (outside of actually just riding a bike) is a bit self-indulgent really. It isn’t. To the vast majority of people in society, including I suspect most people who do it, cycling is just a mode of transport, a fun leisure activity; little more.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d be amazed if Fred has any time left to do any cycling the amount of time he spends on here!

I’d be amazed, too! 😯

😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I often wear DH gear to work. It helps to get peoples attention when trying to make a point in the boardroom.

Good idea. I’ve just been using my lurid Troy Lee Designs outfits to go to bed in up until now.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hmnm – might get the book.

Jesus H Christ Elfin – we just found it amusing. You dive off into some drivel about how … errmmm … what were you actually drivelling on about?

In our business, we see an awful lot of people trying to cover up shortcomings by battering everyone with meaningless waffle disguised as intellectually challenging insight. It’s not. It’s just meaningless waffle.

The guy is a popular writer that gets regular column inches in the Guardian. He’s witty and insightful. You aren’t.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jesus H Christ Elfin – we just found it amusing. You dive off into some drivel about how … errmmm … what were you actually drivelling on about?

Tribalism and subcultures. The same as the author of that article, actually. I’m surprised a person of such AWESOMEness as yourself couldn’t see this; I thought it was pretty obvious. Other people did, however, and hopefully there is scope for intelligent discussion and debate, but if you prefer to just attempt to belittle and insult, then that’s your decision, I spose….

The guy is a popular writer that gets regular column inches in the Guardian

There has been an article about me published in the Guardian… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycling tribes (guardian content)’ is closed to new replies.