Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycling shoes you dont get on with?
  • ton

over the years i have tried many many types and make of shoes (like my bikes too).
    on this long search for foot comfort i found 3 differant shoes the fit my cave troll wide feet…………..but now even these are no longer comfy/or available in their original design.

spesh bg sport in the red and black were fantastic, the new design squeak worse than my knees when riding.
    shimano mt91 first edition were the comfiest boot ever, wore them to ride to work and left them on most days. the new design are made on a far narrower last and even a size up are too narrow.
    sidi dominators used to be soft and nice, with a comfy foot bed.
    the new ones have zero padding inside, and a sole so narrow that i go over on my ankle when trying to walk in them.

or is it just me???

ideas for a comfy spd shoe, that i can walk in and that are wide fitting please.

oh, and if anyone wants to swap or buy a size 12 sidi dominator i have a 6 month old pair going………… 8)

ac282

Sidi do wide fitting versions of their shoes. Did you end up with standard ones?

lucien

Sidi’s always good for me……..XC, distance, racing

Didn’t get on with Time ones (cheap from from Planet X) Northwave (that were a bit bootie style).

Also feeling the love on some Diadora ones cheap from CRC in crappy bronze colour, velcro top straps that fit well and good for general off road looning and DH stuff (yes, clipped in)…….

ton

got sidi mega’s

MrOvershoot

Bloody hell Ton I could have nearly written that exact post.

The absolute best shoes I have used & still do are 2005 Spesh bg sport in black & silver, I have gone through5 sets of SPD cleats on them & hope the slight splits appearing don’t grow 😮

njee20
    Free Member

Disliked my Sidis (Dragon SRS) immensely, very comfy off the bike, awful on; flexy, unpadded, generally horrible! Shame, as they looked good, and were truly slipper-like off the bike. Tread wear was horrific too.

Since had 3 sets of S-Works MTB shoes, and they’re fantastic, so far I’m finding the 2011 ones slightly harder to get to grips with, occasionally find my foot going to sleep – think the dual Boa closures means you can do them too tight, but they’re appreciably lighter than the old ones, which were never exactly heavy!

Militant_biker

I’m a Specialized kinda person too, but I have narrow feet! How the heck do they manage that? Perhaps having the ratchet strap at the top makes up for extra room in the front… The BG Pro road shoes with the Boa system are all kind of snug. 🙂

Disliked my first pair of Shimano shoes, but they also lasted for years, so I disliked them for a long time (I had no money to replace them) Felt heavy and clumpy and my feet swam around in them.

Also love my 5:10s. Specialized are always my first choice though, I know the size that fits me and they just feel good (to me). Never had them squeak though?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Specialized – too narrow.
    Shimano – plainly uncomfortable.
    Nike – pile of trash flexing and hot-spotting.
    however:
    Northwave – lovely (and they remind me of Paola’s open top)

njee20
    Free Member

I had a pair of shoes squeak on the pedal, just Dremelled the tread slightly, near the pedal, solved the problem.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m similar to you Ton – big, very wide feet. Over the years, I’ve had nightmares with Shimano, specialized and most other brands – to the point that my feet were so cramped after one ride that I couldn’t actually walk.

That said, Shimano M086, Pearl Izumi shoes and Specialized seem to be working at present though it depends even on the model within brands I find.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I got some carbon Time shoes cheap from On-One that I found uncomfortable to start with. Think it was because I wasn’t used to the soles being so stif. Once I got used to them I found them great. Think they needed to ‘bed in’ a bit to start with. Always found Shimano shoes comfortable in the past though.

MrTall
    Free Member

Size 12 here also and i have a selection of Spesh and Shimano and they’ve all been pretty good for me. Got some defroster winter boots last winter which are good but could do with being a tad bigger. Boots are a pain and people always say go a size bigger which you can’t when you’re already wearing a 48. 🙁

I bought a pair of 661’s in the sale at CRC a while back and they come up bigger than any other shoe i’ve had. They are fine on the bike but bloody uncomfortable to walk in (although they may get better if i broke them in more but i just don’t want to go through the pain involved to do that).

Oh, also bought a pair of Diadora in another CRC sale (you can get bargains if you keep a look out and have either massive or tiny feet) in a size 49 (so i could wear a few pairs of socks) and they’ve been very comfy indeed. No complaints, especially as they were only about £35.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycling shoes you dont get on with?’ is closed to new replies.