Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Cycling Glasgow to Carlisle via the Aryshire coast.
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hi all
    As part of my 50th year I’ve arranged for myself and several friends to get the train up to Glasgow on a Thursday night then Friday cycling down the coast to Stranraer area for stop over , then Saturday across to Carlisle area for a stop over then Sunday down to south Cumbria. I know loads of routes from Carlisle home but the first two legs are virgin territory, my plan is to hog the coast as I want to visit a small village called Dunure that I remember visiting many moons ago. Is the A77 from Turnberry cycle friendly or is it too busy, we want a craic as we ride whenever/wherever it is safe to do so. After Dunure would we be better heading across to the A713 and down to Newton Stewart or are there even quieter routes down through the Galloway Forest Park? Looked at the Sustran No 7 but this didn’t look 100% road bike friendly and we are all on our “best summer” bikes. Also are there any must do gems in that area of Scotland ?Any help/advice very much appreciated. Basing it on 3x 90/100 mile days.Cheers John

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Could any kind person or moderator advise on how to move to chat forum, sorry??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We did this the other way round, combining two Sustrans routes. From Carlisle we followed Their Lochs and Glens South route.
    It was bloody lovely, but it doesn’t hit the coast the whole way. Your ride sounds fantastic to me 🙂

The A77 is increasingly busy these days but it’s a pretty short stretch to get from Turnberry to Girvan. As an alternative, from Turnberry you can cross the A77 and pick your way via some single track road to Old Daily and on to Girvan.

As for highlights in the area. The road to Newton Stewart from Straiton via Glen Trool would be my choice. You could go Dunure, Maybole, Straiton, Glentrool, Newton Stewart.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers for replies , Glasgow to Dunure then everydays route to Newton 96 miles then Newton Dumfries Annan Carlisle 103 miles via Treksters tips looks good or maybe stop in Gretna then home

martymac

Theres a back road from dumfries to annan, (B724) its a lot quieter.
    When you get to annan follow the road straight through onto the B721, that will take you to gretna, from there i believe there is a road which runs parallel to the M6 that takes you over metal bridge towards carlisle.
    I come from annan, but have never been to carlisle on a bike, i have always ridden via longtown.
    Dumfries to carlisle is pretty flat, and a nice ride out, the roads aren’t deserted, but not mega busy either.
    No way would i ride on the A75 though.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Thanks Marty that is now penciled in, just need to suss out a safe route to Dunure from Glasgow and we are good to go. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

From Glasgow, two options – Follow the cycle route that goes out through paisley, johnstone, lochwinnoch down through Kilwinning and Troon and into Ayr. It’s then only about 8 miles on the road out to Dunure.

Other option is out to Newton mearns and down the old A77 which has been converted to a cycle route, down to Fenwick, then takee country roads to symington, monkton, Prestwick and into Ayr.

1st option is longer but flatter, 2nd more direct but a bit lumpier.

Dunure is a stunning wee place, a favourite of ours for a wee impromptu sausage sizzle on the beach. Post up when yer going, if I’m about I’ll get the coffee on when your coming through Prestwick.

From Dunure head for old dailly, then straiton and the Glentrool road. It’s a belter of a road, and has been resurfaced over winter, like a bowling green.

If you want I can make a GPX of the Galasgow to Dunure route for you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The road to Newton Stewart from Straiton via Glen Trool would be my choice

This would be my choice rather than heading to Stranraer and across. The road from Straiton to Newton Stewart is a cracker.

Other option is out to Newton mearns and down the old A77 which has been converted to a cycle route, down to Fenwick, then takee country roads to symington, monkton, Prestwick and into Ayr.

This is my commute to/from work – well as far as Kilmarnock. It’s fine as a commute but if I was out for a days cycling it wouldn’t be my choice. Head up the a77 through newton mearns then when you get to the top carry on the cycle path, pass a house on your right that’s painted red, then take the next right which goes under the motorway, great wee road takes you over to the Stewarton road, head to Stewarton then Kilmaurs, then on to Symington, then Monkton etc. I wouldn’t ride the A77 Symington to Monkton though but there’s a pavement option. Although from Symington my preferred option would be to head over to Troon then on to Prestwick.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Dunure is ace. Check out the electric brae.

From Glasgow, there’s tons of wee roads – either the symnington route as above (taking in Dunlop, where you can pay homage to tyres) or the other side of the M77 via Moscow, Galston, Tarbolton and Annbank.

Gary_M
    Free Member

or the other side of the M77 via Moscow, Galston, Tarbolton and Annbank

If you were doing that option, which is also a good one, I would head to Eaglesham from Glasgow then take the road round the back of the windfarm to bring you out just before Galston. Although you could also go down to the a71 at Darvel, cross the a71 and take the back roads towrads Sorn then make your way across country to Dunure.

There’s loads of options and it’s very easy to stay off busy A roads.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Although from Symington my preferred option would be to head over to Troon then on to Prestwick.

Na, Kerrix road down to Monkton roundabout is a better option, shorter and nicer.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I didn’t know the op wanted a short option.

Personally I’d choose Corraith road just before entering Symington and stop off at Langholm Farm for coffee and cake then down into Troon than be chocked onto a big roundabout on a dual carriageway.

But it isn’t a competition.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, Langholm coffee is gantin! Tried it on a walkers road ride twice, only did a second time as I didn’t believe it could be as bad…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Okay, you win

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t, as you say, not a competition, and I agree, I’d avoid the roundabout as I don’t know what time of day the OP will be there. I don’t mind it, but others may.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Funny how the place where the bike was invented has lots of good routes nearby, eh?

rwb61
    Free Member

rwb61
    Free Member

If you want an early coffee stop the cafe at Whitelee wind farm is good if your are leaving Glasgow through Eaglesham, and fairly cheap. Road a bit of the A77 down to Turnberry a year or so ago, pretty scary at times

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go anywhere near the A77 on a bike where its dual carriageway and the single carriageway sections aren’t much fun either, even the quieter sections.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Me neither, the sections with the worst fatalities are where down past Maybole, folks hammering it for ferries.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Thanks for coffee offers much appreciated, i`ve knocked these up on Strava pick holes in them and get me on more back roads where possible, we are on good bikes and saw some great roads but they looked like compact forest tracks.Day 1 Glasgow to Newton Stewart via Dunure

smiththemainman
    Free Member
    smiththemainman
    Free Member

NoBeer could you knock up a GPX if not to much trouble? If it is all rideable on decent road bikes i`m not arsed but my mate will be on mega bucks bike.
    Cheers

John

Gary_M
    Free Member

For the first bit I wouldn’t take the Barrhead road option, continue up the a77 and take the road that’s just after brother loch. barrhead road isn’t very nice for riding.

After Stewarton I also wouldn’t head for Irvine as it’s a fairly dull road usually into a headwind, I’d start to head over to Symington then down to Troon.

The rest is perfectly acceptable 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

On the Newton Stewart section when you reach the sign for Kippford make sure you head down to the anchor for a pint, something to eat and take in the views.

epicyclo

Thanks smiththemainman. Those routes look useful.

I’m planning going doing a Scottish end to end, starting at Carlisle, then heading to Drummore which is the most southern point of Scotland and then up to Dunnet Head, so that helps with planning for that area – although I would far sooner stick to gravel.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Here to help epicyclo 🙂 I would rather do it all on my Fat bike but i`d be alone!!

Cheers Gary M will make changes once i`ve actually done a bit of work here 🙂
    Local knowledge can`t be beaten.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You could also go Stewarton>Dundonald>Old Loans Road into Troon – nice climb for you over Old Loans Road.

Trekster

“Gary_M – Member
    On the Newton Stewart section when you reach the sign for Kippford make sure you head down to the anchor for a pint, something to eat and take in the views”

Option 2; Brambles Cafe just outside Dalbeattie.

Option 3; carry on to Carsethorn and the Steamboat Inn

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No worries Smithy, I’ll do a couple of options for you.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers for everything folks, will check it all out after ,popping out for a few miles now as I’m currently going to be doing it on fitness from 2015/16 rides!!!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Checked out the Anchor looks perfect at 55 miles in for lunch, but so does the Steamboat at 63 miles, was hoping to stick to five pints a day so may have to choose on the day :-)Have fine tuned the top as per suggestions , cheers!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunure inn is pretty good too!.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Steamboat is a good choice too although the anchor is my weekend local. Steamboat is slightly further off your route than the anchor but there’s not much in it. There’s also a cafe at Colvend and the ark cafe in kippford.

larrydavid
    Free Member

I rode Stranraer to Glasgow over two days here:

Cross country from Stranraer over very quite, high roads before heading to the coast past Dunure.

https://www.strava.com/activities/522027772

This was the second leg – I would take a more scenic route, maybe Stair, Tarbolton, Galtson or similar.

https://www.strava.com/activities/522027792

The A77 is garbage – it’s a truck route. Especially as you’ll be almost certainly into a headwind. It’s only okay first thing on a Sunday morning (6am…) or in a fast bunch with a tail wind.

If it was me, I might dingy Stranraer and stay at Newton Stewart haven gone up the Tairlaw and past Straiton

Gary_M
    Free Member

My advice would be to avoid the A77 from top of Newton Mearns to Killie, it is the windiest place on earth, blows straight off the sea and straight up the road. Stewarton road is more sheltered and less straight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

True dat, it’s galling coming down there having to battle a downhill headwind.

And I wouldn’t be anywhere near Stranraer…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Glasgow to Carlisle via the Aryshire coast.’ is closed to new replies.