Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cycling commute to Glasgow
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

For the next few months I am working in Glasgow. I live near Peebles so currently this is a two and a half hour commute each way with a combination of car/train/walking.

I was wondering if there are any commuting routes into the city that are ok for cycling. I could come up from the south via Carluke route, park and potentially cycle the last 10-15miles. The office is near West Regent St.

Any help would be great as I am missing my daily commute and hate the lack of exercise opportunities due to a 5hr commute each day 😥

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

The Clyde walkway seems the obvious choice, but having never ridden it as far as Motherwell/new Lanark I can’t comment on the suitability. It certainly ticks boxes for location though?

StirlingCrispin
    Gary_M
    Free Member

I commute by bike from Kilmarnock to Glasgow but I don’t think that’s any use to you.

Not sure which way the train goes but does it go via East Kilbride? You could ride from there on back roads as far as the top of Castlemilk, then straight road into town.

drslow
    Free Member

You could park in Strathclyde Park, junction 6 end in one of the free carparks. Make your way through the park west towards Glasgow. Come out the park at junction 5 of the M74, massive roundabout. Stay on the pavement / cycle path. Follow it round left crossing the onslip south bound to the next junction, the offslip from the M74 onto the roundabout northbound. Cross this road at the lights and keep an eye out for a path heading off to the left. Take this path that disappears into trees and bushes but follows the road, this will take you under the bridge along the River Clyde and over a raised walkway. At the other end you will come out at Bothwell memorial.

You’ve now got a choice of heading across the road and left, cross the bridge and head right along the cycle walkway to Blantyre. From Blantyre you can follow the A724 straight into Glasgow or divert left at Drumsagard onto country roads further up in the hills. (You could if feeling fit get to Cathkin Braes this way). Nearer Glasgow you come in through Bridgeton, Glasgow green and the River Clyde. This is my commute. Fairly safe even at night in winter.

Or you could head right up the hill towards Bothwell, pass through to Uddingston and take London road into Glasgow. London road is a 2 lane, 30/40 mph not too busy carriageway through Parkhead and the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome. Take you straight into Glasgow at the Barralands.

If you decide to stay for a few beers one night just get the train to Hamilton and freewheel down the hill to the park, cutting through the Palace grounds.

ransos
    Free Member

I once cycled through Glasgow on the Clyde and canal paths. They appeared to be holding a festival of broken glass…

Sanny
    Free Member

Clyde Walkway for the off road win. The Strathclyde Park option is a good one but will take you longer than you think. uddingston might be a better bet to start from. The first bit to get to Blantyre is a bit meh but then gets really nice. From Cambuslang, it’s on a tarmac path the whole way but still nice to ride. Prepare to get a bit muddy but this time of year, the plants are starting to suck out all the water making things far more pleasant. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cycling commute to Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.