Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cycle touring in germany. a few Q's
  • ton

thinking of going to germany with my good lady for a tour.
    where is a good area, not too hilly.
    when does the weather get pooh, is it around the time our autumn starts.

anyone been or live there.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Freiburg was an ace cycling town, really lively. I followed the Danube which was nice and flat!

Stoner
    Free Member

we initially proposed riding the length of the danube but thought it would be a bit flat. For the sprightly young go-getters that Mrs Stoner and I are were, that wasnt challenging enough so we rode across the pyrenees instead.

For the larger northerner with an electric bike however, it sounds ideal 😉

unfortunately I gave away my copy of Cicerone Danube route book, but it seemed a good book

MSP

How long for?

From Frankfurt you can go up the Rhine to koblentz, then follow the mossel to trier, then follow the sar to sarbrucken, its all quite flat as you are following rivers, but hills surround the rivers so quite picturesque. There are plenty enough campsites and/or villages with B&Bs on route to play it by ear, camp sites will be closed in Autumn though.

90% of the route would be on cycle paths.

ton

stoner, i am going to order the cicerone book you mentioned.
    one of the old boy’s from the ctc swears by them.

MSP, that kind of thind sounds ideal, not set a timescale yet tho
    any idea on the distance of what you suggested?

MSP

I would say it would be about 150km from frankfurt to koblenz, then 400km to trier, then 150 along the saar.

you would follow the Main from frankfurt, then up the rheine, up the right hand side for about 50km, then cross over on a ferry at binghem an Rhine to continue up the left bank to koblenz, the mossel and saar routes swap over at various points to take you thhrough the best towns and villages, they are major cycle routes and can be downloaded of the net, I have gpx tracks for most of it.

Good thing about Germany is its pretty easy to jump on a train with the bikes to get back to frankfurt from pretty much anywhere you make it to, so no point worrying about making mileages.

http://www.romantic-germany.info/Moselle-Cycle-Route.4190.0.html

ton

brilliant mate, thanks 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’ll enjoy the beer Ton. 8)

Are you taking your daughter? I’m sure she’d love it. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cycle touring in germany. a few Q's’ is closed to new replies.