• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycle to work – accessories
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently you can get accessories on the cycle to work scheme now – is this true? Anyone tried it?

I want a Burley Travoy specifically and genuinely for cycling to work, and they’re quite pricey so this would help. Do you have to justify it or something?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As a complete aside

Why no Run to work scheme ?

Think how many trainers you could buy with a grand 🙂

SaxonRider

Those look brilliant, molgrips. I hadn’t seen them before, and now I kind of covet one. :mrgreen:

But when you work in Cardiff, where do you commute to? I thought you undertook a lot of your work in London and elsewhere.

Unless you need the trailer to ride there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I work all over the place. I like to cycle to the station to get the train, but having only panniers is quite limiting if I want to do some biking whilst I am away – it restricts the bike I can take, and how much gear I can take.

That trailer would allow me to strap a big holdall on and still be convienient for getting on and off trains etc. I’ve wanted one for ages.. I know someone who has one and it’s very nice in real life, decently made too. Also great for shopping and general lugging as you could put all sorts of boxes etc on it if you want.

whatgoesup

I can probably help here, as I was asking the same question last year.

It turns out that yes, you can have an accessory only order, provided you have had a bike before. I researched this is some detail last year to ensure I wasn’t doing anything “wrong”.
    There is a list of what is allowed & not, trailers didn’t appear on either list – they were apparently on the “not allowed” list a few years ago, but not any more. The rules are set by HMRC, and then interpreted via the scheme you’re using, company etc.

I now have a Thule (Chariot) Cougar through the scheme, a trailer enables dropping the kids off at nursery, it’s accounted for properly on the application form, quote & reciept as a trailer, so I’m confortable it’s all official.
    When researching, one shop (no, I’m not going to say which one) did offer to put a bike on the quote, but actually provide a trailer, but I didn’t want to go that route.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s stupid. I have already bought my own bike ffs. What am I supposed to do, sell one and buy another?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs rat whos never had a bike to work on any scheme bought nearly a whole winterwardrobe of quality winter kit for cycling to work 2 years ago , and now its all worn out is about to repeat it,

This is a local authority scheme as well.

Nothing hooking all above board.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like I need to talk to HR then.

If they send you vouchers, can I spend then where I like?

bigblackshed

It depends who your employer uses to supply their bike-to-work scheme. Evans, Halfords, or the independent scheme?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er… looks like Cyclescheme ltd?

Looks like I can only sign up in April.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got a nice bright light on it last winter. No dramas.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got a nice bright light on it last winter. No dramas.

drovercycles
    Free Member

looks like Cyclescheme ltd?

That’s through any independent bike shop then. (Or at least any which has signed up with Cyclescheme which is likely to be most shops).

Those Travoys are indeed an excellent piece of kit!

molgrips
    Free Member

Parkers of Bolton have them on bigger discount than everyone else which means it’s not hugely cheaper… Unless I can take my vouchers there…? Someone suggested you have to physically go into the shop.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve never had a bike but done the accessories thing twice on cyclescheme. Talk to the shop you will be using, the one I use is very helpful.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Someone suggested you have to physically go into the shop

Where I work I have to choose a shop from cyclescheme’s list then they email me a voucher. The shop log in to get their cash once I give them the voucher. I don’t see anything forcing me to be present.

Drac

My last one they sent me the voucher by post and I had to take it to the shop.

The current once I’m considering can be dealt online.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work – accessories’ is closed to new replies.