Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • cycle storage – ceiling hooks?
  • sadexpunk

moving to a smaller house with no garage, so gonna have to hang the bike vertically from a ceiling in an outhouse 🙁

googled ceiling hooks but they seem quite weak really, just a hook that screws into a joist or something. is that the best i can expect for not much money? not a real heavy bike, just a singlespeed, so itd prob be ok, but just wondered if anyone had any good ideas using different methods or equipment.

thanks

nbt

just use a hook screwed into a joist. Pack of 2 costs a pound in my local asda

I hang all mine from these – the only exception is the tandem which has the rear wheel on the floor

sadexpunk

yeah, theyre the ones i was looking at. theyre strong enough are they? ok, thanks mate 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, after seeing that bike specific hooks cost ten pounds each, I just went and bought a load of cheap ones like nbt has shown. Mine are in the wall but seem to be fine.

Bike hanging by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

scotroutes

Those are the same hooks I’ve been using for years. I’m just struggling to find one big enough for the fatbike.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m just struggling to find one big enough for the fatbike.

Ladder storage hooks?

TiRed

I hang everything from race bikes to tandems using those hooks. Word of advice – the coating will wear off and rims mark. I use sections of old inner tube to cover the hooks and provide additional protection. They are a pain with low profile wheels too. But at a pound each, an elegant solution for most bikes.

One further tip, I mount mine at 60 degrees about 20cm from the wall. That way the force from the bike rim is pulling along the line of the hook and the front wheel rests on the wall. Makes loading easier too (roll bike up wall)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘cycle storage – ceiling hooks?’ is closed to new replies.