• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cb.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cyberduck – anybody used it? FTP
  • cb

I am a complete novice with websites. I have a very basic site which I have put together via iweb on my Mac.

I bought a domain name from BT but was recommended Native Space as a good host. I now need to upload my website files to the hosting package and I am clueless. All the “Help” is by email which takes ages and comes from a timezone other than GMT! These helpdesk jockies from sunnier climes seem to talk in jargon and nothing else (even after repeated requests!).

Can anybody provide an idiots guide as to how to upload these files please?

Thanks

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Both Cyberduck and Fetch are pretty good and intuative. I use Fetch – it’s quite literally a drag and drop.

dawson

i use Filezilla – its open source.

put in your site details to connect to your site and then upload the files from your machine to your website – just drag the files from your ‘local’ window to the ‘remote’ window

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i use cuteftp

Dougal
    Free Member

Cyberduck is a pretty great piece of software. I use it almost everyday to work with S3 buckets. FTP? What is this, 1998?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Loving cyberduck – use it 2-3 times a week, nice and simple – and that’s just me… 😉
    Tis so good I did donate recently (you get a request after each few uses – polite and easily ignored but I figured it is worth it to me….)

edit – sorry cb, missed your thing about having set up your site on a MAC, in which case it may be worth the £59 a year to have a ‘mobile me’ acct with Apple?
    Pretty sure that makes it almost 100% easy to upload and host your mac generated stuff – £59 notes will have a lot on here laughing and pointing but, like you I am worse than bad with anything computer based so would suggest it’s worth looking up?

cb

Maybe intuitive to those that use these things regularly but not to me! I ‘seem’ to have uploaded all of my website files to Cyberduck.The Native Space URL that I have have links to a holding page that says my account is now active and that I should upload my website files to the public_html folder.

how do I physically do this?

toby1

Can you connect to your natural space server with an ftp client. Do you have a url or ip address you connect to? If so, connect to it, you will also need a username and password to login I’d assume. Once you are connected you should see a directory structure of what is available on the server at present, of these files there should be an _html file, open the file and then upload files into it. Is this jargon to you or helping (it’s hard to judge the level to pitch this at :))

cb

toby – thanks. I have connected to the ip address via Cyberduck.

There is a public_html file.

I ‘appear’ to have uploaded my website files into it.

What I ‘seem’ to be missing is the next step which will make my website go live. I just get a holding page when I input the address.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cyberduck – anybody used it? FTP’ is closed to new replies.