Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CX tubeless – Worth it?
  • mdb
    Free Member

Thinking of going tubeless for CX. Anybody else doing it? Seems like a no brainer for cross racing.

Looked at the Iron Cross wheelset and noticed very similar to Crest profile and widths but £20 or so more expensive per wheel. It doesn’t seem to matter what rim I think?

mdb
    Free Member

bump up

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I ran ghetto tubeless on my SS tricross, using electric tape and some wire bead Spesh tyres.

Worked very well. Ran lower pressures and absolutley no punctures.

Big downside was the tyres were so tight to get them onto the rims.

So would imagine with a stans rim would be a perfect solution.

Regarding the differences between the 2 rims. It is a fair chunk wider so the tyre may be more likely to roll/burp off in corners.

Jon

john_l
    Free Member

Been using Vittoria XG TNT tyres on Open Pros with old 26″ Eclipse rim strips. Very good – running 25psi at Plumpton yesterday, no problem.

Would be looking at either the Iron Cross rims or BOR rims if using discs.

pjt201
    Free Member

i run crests on my disc cross bike. let some air out before the start of today’s race and when i went to pump them up after found i’d been running with 25psi in and no problems. heaps of grip though!

dobo
    Free Member

Yes its worth it, a bit of trial and error to get a rim/tyre/psi combo that works or can be made to work though.
    Raced reading CX today which had torrential rainfall and lots of tight turns and some fast ones. My mich mud 2’s stayed put and gripped very well in the corners considering it isnt a full on mud tyre and the conditions(regardless of its name) could have done with a bit more grip when climbing but was ok and very reliable all round tyre. ran about 34psi up front and about 38 out back (need a digital gauge to check though), think i can get them a bit lower but im 80kg so dont want to push my luck.

benji
    Free Member

I’m still running tubes, as it enables easy tyre changes as the conditions change. If only one wheelset make sure you are happy with the tyre you are going to be running, remember it’s getting muddy out there 🙂

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Yes, Mavic 719s with Schwalbe CX Pros Ghetto tubeless with electrical tape. Two races and plenty of training and no punctures. Hit some rocks and roots hard with no burping.

Regards

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m still running tubes, as it enables easy tyre changes as the conditions change. If only one wheelset make sure you are happy with the tyre you are going to be running, remember it’s getting muddy out there

That was my concern.

Surely tubs are the no brainer?

doodlebug
    Free Member

I’m also using Vittoria XG TNT and it’s my second season using them.
    No problems what so ever and regularly ride them at 25psi, but only downside is the tyres can be very tight to fit…..

pixelmix
    Free Member

Used Crest, now use Iron Cross rims as crests are on my 29er. Run 25-30psi no problem. I’m not a serial tyre swapper so the initial setup faff isn’t an issue here.

Did puncture recently but only because I ripped a hole in the tyre that wouldn’t seal. Generally happy with this setup for two years now. Various tyres used. Racing Ralphs are a good all rounder.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CX tubeless – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.